Worried about year 9 science mock exams

Watch
CharlesJH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm extremely worried about my mock Science exams. Through out the year, we've had an awful teacher. She isn't really a great teacher, since she doesn't actually explain what she is teaching us and just gives us homework or "fill in the gap worksheets". She has also never properly explained to us, how to answers these questions (such as 6 mark questions and questions that are judged by quality of communication and use certain structure in order to get the marks required).

For a lot of these tests (with revision), my entire class have been getting cruddy results. We're in Second set doing higher tier, and most of our class are getting Ds or Cs, when we are supposed to be getting Bs or As at this stage.

I really want to try and do well in this final exam, I was predicted to be an A* student last year (By end of Year 11), and now my grades are slipping. I know it's a bit late to be asking now, but how can I revise enough to be able to get at least a B on this test, as I'm highly concerned about next year, where I do part of my actual Science GCSE, as I may want to do Physics at A-Level. I at least want to make one very final comeback to prove myself, although I do not understand any of the topics in this test.

I'm with OCR, and we're revising Unit 1. Also, are there any great revision resources you can suggest to me? Finally, I apologize if I'm sounding a bit too snobby or egotistical about myself.
Thank you.

~Charles
JackB784
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You mean B1 P1 and C1? Just read through bitesize notes. The exams won't exactly be demanding.
Lord_Mediocre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh year 9 problems! LOL just work hard and don't stress out, trust me there plenty of things to worry about later!
swallowsky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi Charles,
I'm in Yr10 and I do OCR 21st Century
Having had A LOT of supply this year for triple science, I understand how you feel. If your whole class is failing, then it should be a sign to teachers at your school that something is wrong here. C/D isn't that bad for Year 9, you can still get a really good grade if you work hard and do independent study. In Year 9 science mocks I did, most people failed and are doing fine now
When it comes to revision, I use more CGP Revision Guides a lot to summarise ideas about the topic - If you are doing OCR 21st Century Science, they are a lifesaver, especially for modules with a lot of content.
BBC Bitsize has three or four revision quizzes/activities on each module - try going through the GCSE section, and look for the title of the module that looks related, not the name (such as C1). It is a bit confusing, but they are good for a quick revision activity.
For science, the key to success is PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS. Go on the OCR website and find appropriate past papers and practise! Look at the mark schemes to see how they would like you to structure your answer. I would highly recommend, after looking at a few six mark questions, to try and write your own example questions, then answering them as practise.
Finally, if there is anywhere you can access the textbook online/at school, do some questions from those.
If all else fails, type in GCSE OCR Science resources in online.

Good Luck!
(P.S. Sorry If you aren't doing OCR 21st Century)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads