The Student Room Group

AS & A2 Economics in same year?

Would it be possible to do AS and A2 Economics in the same year?

How much background knowledge of AS Economics do I need for A2?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by _Samuel_
Would it be possible to do AS and A2 Economics in the same year?

How much background knowledge of AS Economics do I need for A2?

Thanks!

Depends on what exam board you're doing, really, but usually the course as a whole is synoptic, meaning that most of the stuff you learn in A2 you will have already met at AS.

This is true for my exam board, AQA, at least. I don't think I personally would be able to handle both the stuff I met at AS last year and the stuff I'm doing at A2 right now, but with the right amount of work it just might be possible. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Gax
Depends on what exam board you're doing, really, but usually the course as a whole is synoptic, meaning that most of the stuff you learn in A2 you will have already met at AS.

This is true for my exam board, AQA, at least. I don't think I personally would be able to handle both the stuff I met at AS last year and the stuff I'm doing at A2 right now, but with the right amount of work it just might be possible. :smile:

Hmm. My idea is that I learn most of AS Economics over the Summer Break - just the basics required.

Thanks for the help!
Certainly possible, a class mate of mine is doing his AS&A2 in one year and he's coping alright.
Yes its definitely do-able just make sure you definitely do go over the as level stuff . I did it in 1 year and didn't find it too challenging.
Reply 5
Not impossible but if your doing other A-Levels along with it, it will start to take its toll, espically with UNIT3,UNIT4 exams they tend to be tricky.
Original post by _Samuel_
Hmm. My idea is that I learn most of AS Economics over the Summer Break - just the basics required.

Thanks for the help!

I don't think it is possible to learn most of the AS over the summer. Are you referring to self study? then definitely no.
A2 requires a lot of effort and practice, especially the essay parts. You need someone monitoring you and checking your progress. It also depends on the number of hours of teaching time you get but I wouldn't suggest doing it in 1 year. Too much to cope especially with other subjects involved.
Everyone is different, but my friend did it this year and she used to get good grades on mocks, tests etc. I dnt know how she's done in her exams yet but I bet she's done well!
Btw, she got private tution to do AS at home and did A2 at school, as she was in an A2 class at school
And the exam board was OCR btw if that helps :smile:
Original post by AStudent321
Everyone is different, but my friend did it this year and she used to get good grades on mocks, tests etc. I dnt know how she's done in her exams yet but I bet she's done well!

I still think it depends on:
-number of hours per week
-practice of test/past papers
-time spent outside lesson time revising
It is quite unrealistic, I think, to expect to cover most of the AS specification over one summer. You can read the whole book but, can you apply it? can you successfully evaluate? do you have good exam technique? do you know the allocation of marks?
I have two words for you Keynes: Private Tution
Original post by keynes24
I still think it depends on:
-number of hours per week
-practice of test/past papers
-time spent outside lesson time revising
It is quite unrealistic, I think, to expect to cover most of the AS specification over one summer. You can read the whole book but, can you apply it? can you successfully evaluate? do you have good exam technique? do you know the allocation of marks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending