Going to self-teach Economics AS.What board should I go with? Watch

Willdono
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can anyone recommend the best board for someone who is going to self-teach AS Economics over the summer. Preferably, an exam board which has no coursework, less long answer questions because presumably they have a specific technique which needs guidance from teachers.

Also, the best AS Economics textbook with all the theory, which will be perfect for a private candidate.
Any online resources will be helpful as well.
Civil Dispute
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AQA has the most resources, but having looked at a WJEC paper for a laugh, it looked so much easier. Either way, Tutor2U is wonderful for all the concepts, and the standard textbook from the exam board is good too.

As I've done AS economics, I'd suggest learning all the key definitions available online from googling 'AS AQA Micro/Macro Key terms', and then learning the exam technique and applying concepts you learn to the question. Asking advice for exam structure in the economics section on TSR would probably suffice. With AQA, multiple choice practice is essential.
MrWise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just a word of advice. Maybe some private tuition might help you alongside your private study? I'm with econacademy.co.uk at the moment. Costs me £8 per hour.
Shredz123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Look over AQA and look at paj Holden vids on YouTube to get a firm understanding over economics (economics split into two parts macro and micro) macro tends to look at economy's on a bigger scale where micro focus on firm level. These are very broad replies so please look into it a bit further

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mav455
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Same here, AQA
ytryity
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would highly recommend AQA, structure of paper is very easy to understand, its straight forward and much better then edexcel, OCR and others trust me. I had to re-take my year and move exam boards went from a fail to predicated A* on AQA.

If using AQA these are some really useful videos to go alongside your revision.

https://www.youtube.com/user/EconplusDal/playlists
https://www.youtube.com/user/pajholden/videos

Revision material websites
http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/revision-notes/
http://www.economicshelp.org/
I would highly recommend buying the revision booklet from economicshelp. I brought them myself and they saved big time.

Hope it helps & good luck
Chrono5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AQA is the most interesting, imo, it's more focused on core economic theory than other exam boards' past papers seem to suggest.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Willdono)
Can anyone recommend the best board for someone who is going to self-teach AS Economics over the summer. Preferably, an exam board which has no coursework, less long answer questions because presumably they have a specific technique which needs guidance from teachers.

Also, the best AS Economics textbook with all the theory, which will be perfect for a private candidate.
Edexcel? Incredibly easy and could learn in 2 weeks but in unit 2 there is a 30 mark question (but this is still easy)
Willdono
Rep:
?
(Original post by Civil Dispute)
AQA has the most resources, but having looked at a WJEC paper for a laugh, it looked so much easier. Either way, Tutor2U is wonderful for all the concepts, and the standard textbook from the exam board is good too.

As I've done AS economics, I'd suggest learning all the key definitions available online from googling 'AS AQA Micro/Macro Key terms', and then learning the exam technique and applying concepts you learn to the question. Asking advice for exam structure in the economics section on TSR would probably suffice. With AQA, multiple choice practice is essential.
Is this key words glossary too outdated?
http://tutor2u.net/assets/textfiles/...ssary_2005.pdf
Civil Dispute
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is this key words glossary too outdated?
http://tutor2u.net/assets/textfiles/...ssary_2005.pdf
It's too detailed. Buy this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Economic.../dp/0748799648

Make your own glossary by going through the book page by page and copying out the key terms in the yellow boxes at the side of the page. Chapters 1-8 are micro I believe, and 9-16 macro. There's a glossary at the back of the book but it doesn't cover all the key terms on the pages and isn't divided between micro and macro.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Civil Dispute)

That does sound like a right laugh
blablabla321
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely AQA, if you find yourself stuck there are lots of videos on the Khan academy site that can help.
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

All examination boards require long answer questions with exam technique that is needed and you should practice. In my opinion all boards I know (AQA, OCR, Edexcel) have similar requirements and level of difficulty for AS and the difference is more significant on A2. I don't think you can learn AS by yourself over the summer, you could read a book but you need to practice , learn exam technique and further guidance on how to approach different questions with different allocation of marks.
Willdono
Rep:
?
(Original post by keynes24)
All examination boards require long answer questions with exam technique that is needed and you should practice. In my opinion all boards I know (AQA, OCR, Edexcel) have similar requirements and level of difficulty for AS and the difference is more significant on A2. I don't think you can learn AS by yourself over the summer, you could read a book but you need to practice , learn exam technique and further guidance on how to approach different questions with different allocation of marks.
I think you can because there are plenty of workbooks which go into detail about questions and exam technique. I was thinking of purchasing this one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-AS-Econo..._bxgy_b_text_z
and for unit 2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-AS-Econo...d_bxgy_b_img_y
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you can because there are plenty of workbooks which go into detail about questions and exam technique. I was thinking of purchasing this one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-AS-Econo..._bxgy_b_text_z
and for unit 2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-AS-Econo...d_bxgy_b_img_y
No workbook can go over your work, identify your weakness, improve your exam technique and improve your essay writing. That happens week by week.
Willdono
Rep:
?
(Original post by keynes24)
No workbook can go over your work, identify your weakness, improve your exam technique and improve your essay writing. That happens week by week.
Then, a better alternative would be to learn the theory and work through the workbooks over the summer. Come September, I can ask Economics teachers at my sixth form regarding exam technique, whilst hiring a private tutor for several lessons just for back up.
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Then, a better alternative would be to learn the theory and work through the workbooks over the summer. Come September, I can ask Economics teachers at my sixth form regarding exam technique, whilst hiring a private tutor for several lessons just for back up.
It is definitely a better alternative. If you are aiming for an A or B I think you need constant guidance and weekly lessons. There are a lot of concepts to learn, diagrams to understand, topics to cover, etc.....
MouseyBrown
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know that every body here is saying AQA, but I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

I'm studying four AS levels at home, including Edexcel Economics, and I have found the support books really good. I have the main Alain Anderton book, but most helpful are the revision guides and then another similar guide on exam technique. Those, combined with just a copy of the syllabus, had done me nicely. I do have assignments to do for the online college, and I have one lesson a month with a private tutor, and all together than is perfect.

I don't know the AQA syllabus, but just thought I would let you know that the Edexcel one is fine, largely due to the excellent support books.
Willdono
Rep:
?
(Original post by MouseyBrown)
I know that every body here is saying AQA, but I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

I'm studying four AS levels at home, including Edexcel Economics, and I have found the support books really good. I have the main Alain Anderton book, but most helpful are the revision guides and then another similar guide on exam technique. Those, combined with just a copy of the syllabus, had done me nicely. I do have assignments to do for the online college, and I have one lesson a month with a private tutor, and all together than is perfect.

I don't know the AQA syllabus, but just thought I would let you know that the Edexcel one is fine, largely due to the excellent support books.
Could you put a link to the revision guide for exam technique please. Thanks.
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MouseyBrown)

Anderton textbook is not good, it is endorsed by Edexcel but doesn't follow the specification very well. The Philip allan revision guides are good once you complete the course. Private tutor once a month? I would say that is not enough, you need to have mock exams to get a better understanding of the subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%