Wilsoncw1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As a student that is outside the UK, I see that OCR has two syllabus for maths. I see the Non-MEI one is the easier option, while the MEI is considered the toughest syllabus out of all exam boards.

So what is the point of doing MEI? Do university consider it differently?
Zen-Ali
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Some people are masochists. Some people really, really enjoy mathematics. Some people are masochistic and enjoy mathematics. :holmes:

But, OP, as far as I'm aware, I don't think universities will discriminate between exam boards.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
MEI is a well respected organisation.
http://www.mei.org.uk/
Some teachers really like the A level maths syllabus and there are good resources for teaching it.
Teaching staff decide which syllabus is offered in a particular school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
monkeyvonban
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do MEI and I really think it's great, in Core 3 you do the numerical methods module as a coursework which is very easy to do and gets you marks in the bag without having to remember the module/worry about it - it's 20% of core 3

and in Core 4 20% of the grade is a comprehension paper where you read an extract and answer some very basic general maths questions - getting you some more very easy marks! Great.

I've also done all the regular OCR papers as practice and to me there really isn't any significant difference in difficulty of the rest of the content between the two boards.
username1186351
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do MEI and you may find that their resources are better, they offer ALL their past papers for free as well as providing revision materials such as integral maths revision site and MEI revision books.

However, my opinion is biased since I haven't taken any other exam boards. Although, if I had the opporunity to take edexcel I would, since it is probably so much easier.

It probably is a well recognised exam board, but what is better, an A* on edexcel board or a lower grade on the MEI exam board? I doubt any but the top universities actually discriminate by exam boards.
Wilsoncw1997
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What I have been noticing is that the FP3 in OCR MEI has much different topics such as multivariate calculus compared to all other exam boards such as AQA Edexel etc...
rl1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's name means mathematics for engineering and industry, so I suppose there is more mathmatical application in the course compared to others. Someone correct me if im wrong lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Big-Daddy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I find OCR's papers much harder on Mechanics and maybe a little bit harder on Stats. MEI is only harder for core/pure.
judystale77
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi does anyone have the OCR MEI 2020 papers or have tips when revising for the papers it would help so much thank you
simba10
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anyone done the Mei ocr 2020 papers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.11%
England (108)
34.39%
Belgium (27)
8.6%
Germany (37)
11.78%
Spain (5)
1.59%