Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

does anyone know, if in general, it is possible to go abroad for one term or more, and if so, which partner universites are welcoming students of the computing course at Oxford?

thanks very much

stephan

ReputationRep:
    Not that I know of (I'm not a compsci but have friends doing it) - maybe when you do your project you can work somewhere in Europe. Hopefully a compsci on here will be able to reply soon with the actual answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ignaz)
    Hello everyone,

does anyone know, if in general, it is possible to go abroad for one term or more, and if so, which partner universites are welcoming students of the computing course at Oxford?

thanks very much

stephan
    As far as I know this isn't possible, and I've never heard of anyone doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I asked about it when I was applying - and all the tutors looks horrified. No one said no - but they made it fairly clear that seemed to be the answer! Maybe I asked the wrong tutors!

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware, there is no option to go abroad for one or more terms. That said, considering the Comlab is being daft enough to introduce a four year course, they may offer it shortly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waldo Dobbs)
    As far as I am aware, there is no option to go abroad for one or more terms. That said, considering the Comlab is being daft enough to introduce a four year course, they may offer it shortly.
    Why daft?

ReputationRep:
    No, there aren't any current arrangements for studying abroad on the compsci course, but many of the departments in the same division as compsci have projects within the oxford-princeton exchange scheme, so this may be something that will develop in the future. By no means count on it though.

Why daft?
    indeed, why daft?

ReputationRep:
    yer, why daft? compsci's i know like the sound of it..

op: no, its not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Why daft?
    I think the proposed fourth year options (they haven't been thrashed out fully yet) aren't varied enough. Also, some of them have simply been shunted from the third year syllabus. Also by the end of the fourth year, students will have done at least two projects, probably more. That on top of practicals could lead to quite a heavy workload as well as programmer fatigue.

The situation will be worse for joint-schools for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    The situation will be worse for joint-schools for obvious reasons.
    Obvious? :confused: Sorry I'm missing this entirely. Maths & Comp people would have the chance to take fourth year maths options, I presume, and the 4 year MMath is well established already.

ReputationRep:
    I did CS. No, you can't go abroad for a term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Obvious? :confused: Sorry I'm missing this entirely. Maths & Comp people would have the chance to take fourth year maths options, I presume, and the 4 year MMath is well established already.
    Third year maths courses are hard enough for Maths & Compscis, simply because there are large gaps in your knowledge which straight mathmos possess. Also, less experience than straight mathmos in certain areas. Taking fourth year maths options would not be a good idea. Especially when you consider that I know third year mathmos who are restricted in what they can choose to do in their fourth year because they didn't do x or y in year two or three.

The MMath is well established, but the MMath and Computer Science isn't. My advice to people would be not to take the fourth year joint school, especially because the first few years will be guinea pig for the degree.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.