Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There is a patient on their deathbed, with an incurable something or other. Let's say foot related illness. Anyway, they are going to die, and they are inconsiderable pain, there is nothing the doctors can do to save the patient's life.

The patient asks to be put out of her misery. The doctor replies saying that he cannot kill her. The patient agains asks for the doctor to stop her pain by ending her life. "Ah", the doctor relies "In order to relieve your pain I can give you a very high dosage of painkillers, so high that it may, ney probably will kill you. Are you willing to take the risk that such a hgih dosage of pain killers might kill you?"

The answer was obvous. Soon the patient drifted into a painless sleep, and soon after was dead.

Is there a difference? Why should we not be allowed to end a patients suffering, if that is what they wish? Is it murder if a person asks you to do it?

ReputationRep:
    my family has history of alzheimers, if i get it i would rather die than deteriorate to the point where i didnt recognise people etc. i dont think its murder and with proper legislation to prevent abuse i think it should be legalised.

ReputationRep:
    ye euthanasia should be allowed, but you need clear evidence that all parties have agreed. I might just say my friend wanted to die and also said i could have all his money in his will lol.

alzheimers - well my grandad has it and everyone thought it was really funny at firt cos he forget everything, but its not its a horrible disease/illness. Im not sure if it would warrant euthanasis, but it depends on the individuals circumstances. If someone is unable to kill themselves then someone else should be allowed. however i think its possible for a sufferer of alzheimers to kill themselves. Not sure

anyway, point is i agree with euthanasia, not sure i i could do it though

ReputationRep:
    Is Euthanasia of course right? There is a feeling that we have no right to take other's life. This fact stands until the person asks you to do it. But even then I don't think i'd be happy to be the person actually ending someone's life. Its a contentious issue, one that looks attractively simple on the face of it. It looks like if someone is in great pain then its best that, with their consent, you should put them out of their misery.

In this sense, I agree with euthanasia.

But then, when I wonder if I could do it, if faced with a situation where I had to end someone's life no matter how much pain they were in, i'm not sure I could still do it, and I'm not sure i'd still think its right.

ReputationRep:
    Its interesting how two people have argued that is a justifiable thing, and should be allowed, but they themselves have doubts that they could go through with it. Surely that suggests, at some level, you do not agree with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue!)
    Its interesting how two people have argued that is a justifiable thing, and should be allowed, but they themselves have doubts that they could go through with it. Surely that suggests, at some level, you do not agree with it?
    Surely, yes, you're right it does suggest at some level I disagree with it. I have a worry that ending humans life is wrong. Without any basis other than a feeling that it is.

Like I say, the concept seems to make sense. The actuality... thats a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all!
    I don't like the idea of killing animals and would certainly not like to do it, but I still eat meat. Most people would say that makes me somewhat hyporitical but I don't feel that way. I simply don't instinctively connect eating meat with the unpleasantness I associated with killing animals.
    Similarly, as much as I think me taking peoples lives would be unpleasant, that doesn't mean I think Euthanasia is a bad thing. I don't think that should reflect upon the actual ideal behind the action. Euthanasia is a good thing. Just because I am squeemish about personally having to carry out the role doesn't mean I disagree with it. I don't like picking up spiders, but I don't in some sense therefore disagree with picking up spiders.

ReputationRep:
    But what exactly is there to be squimish about? I think would people would find it unpleasant to take a life, but the question is, if someone wants it, should we kill them?

I understand you maybe squimish about hacking them to death, or something grissly like that, but suppose it wasn't something nasty like that. Perhaps all you had to do was flick a switch that ended a person's life, a person who wanted to die. Could you do that? If you couldn't then there must be personal quarm with euthanasia.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it. I mean, if you're 100% sure and convinced that its INCURABLE and the pain is unbearable, then by all means relief the patient of the pain.

Ok maybe the pain need not be unbearable. Just put the patient out of psychological torture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue!)
    But what exactly is there to be squimish about? I think would people would find it unpleasant to take a life, but the question is, if someone wants it, should we kill them?

I understand you maybe squimish about hacking them to death, or something grissly like that, but suppose it wasn't something nasty like that. Perhaps all you had to do was flick a switch that ended a person's life, a person who wanted to die. Could you do that? If you couldn't then there must be personal quarm with euthanasia.
    Not at all. It can be irrational. Spiders are a perfect example. Why must I have a personal qualm with it over and above simple dislike of the idea for no rational reason?

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried that the opportunity to die may be seen as some as an obligation to do so. If it became legal, I'd hope it was highly restricted in its usage to deny people who may not be taking the decision in an entirely rational way.

ReputationRep:
    Basically euthanasia is a hot topic of discussion in law, there are positive and negative points to it. However at the end of the day as long as common sense is applied, euthanasia should be allowed to happen in the majority of cases. In Holland euthanasia is allowed and in Germany the penalty for euthanasia is something like 2 years. Possibly we follow the example of one of these two countries
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Blue!)

Not really. The person would most likely be a close relative and killing them would be too difficult (even if you agree that they should no longer live), especially with the additional stigma that would be attached to the euthanasiast ("murderer") with this action. Being killed and dying are different things.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DarkLight18)
    Basically euthanasia is a hot topic of discussion in law, there are positive and negative points to it. However at the end of the day as long as common sense is applied, euthanasia should be allowed to happen in the majority of cases.
    Whose common sense? Your idea of euthanasia might not be that of the doctors attending to your dying relative.

In Holland euthanasia is allowed and in Germany the penalty for euthanasia is something like 2 years. Possibly we follow the example of one of these two countries
    So that's not common sense, is it? You're telling me that in one country it's legal, and in another it's illegal and punishable by incarceration. Where's the common sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Whose common sense? Your idea of euthanasia might not be that of the doctors attending to your dying relative.

No maybe not but I never said that, basically it would not be down to a single doctor to decide whether a person should be allowed to die. It would be a general consensus, similar to a jury deciding a person guilty in a case, unless the majority agree then the person will not be allowed to die. Common sense can be roughly applied in these situation, for example if a old relative who has had enough of life and living with a painful disease wants to end their life, that is there decision in my opinion(and why should it not be), belongs as they are in sound enough mind to make that decision.

So that's not common sense, is it? You're telling me that in one country it's legal, and in another it's illegal and punishable by incarceration. Where's the common sense?
    1. when did I ever say that was common sense, I merely stated that using one these two countries systems would be more suitable in our legal system.

Considering that the current punishment here for euthanasia is either voluntary manslaughter or murder which lets say could carry a charge of anywhere between 10 and 30 years, I would say that this is far too steep. Euthansia is is some circumstances is illegal in Germany but it is alot more morally and lawfully accepted, and our country should follow this example.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    1. when did I ever say that was common sense, I merely stated that using one these two countries systems would be more suitable in our legal system.

Considering that the current punishment here for euthanasia is either voluntary manslaughter or murder which lets say could carry a charge of anywhere between 10 and 30 years, I would say that this is far too steep. Euthansia is is some circumstances is illegal in Germany but it is alot more morally and lawfully accepted, and our country should follow this example.
    You said we should use common sense, which this quite clearly isn't, since there's nothing 'common' about it. How can it be common sense if two large countries can't agree on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    You said we should use common sense, which this quite clearly isn't, since there's nothing 'common' about it. How can it be common sense if two large countries can't agree on it?
    That is your opinion that they havnt agreed on it, personally I think there is some logical agreement between the two countries, they have accepted that Euthansia is morally and lawfully less an offence and warrents a low punishment.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That is your opinion that they havnt agreed on it, personally I think there is some logical agreement between the two countries, they have accepted that Euthansia is morally and lawfully less an offence and warrents a low punishment.
    Except you said one sees it as legal and the other as illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well Englands punishment 10-30 years for euthanasia.....

Germany 2 years and Holland no punishment.... That is agreement, hardly any difference between punishments....

ReputationRep:
    Dark, you are a bit out on this one. Both Germany and England officially consider euthanasia Illegal, which surely makes them closer to each other and Holand the outlier (in considering it legal.) The penalties are not strictly relevant, as especially in the UK euthanasia is a bit of greyish area with regards to how it is treated.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.