Bit torrent Watch

Kingers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi i dont really use bit torrent cos im not into downloading that much, but a friend told me about it so i downloaded family guy season 5 and hostel. However i have an 8mb connection and the fastest speed i got was like 10kb/s. So i went to bed, got up and hostel had downloaded, and i tried to play it but its just a 2 hour audio file when played on windows media, can anyone help me, i thought i might be able to change the format but it said it was a video file when i clicked properties

Any help regarding either problem would be greatly appreciated thanks

:confused:
Dystopia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You need to update your codecs, I believe. Don't bother finding out what that means and just download VLC Media Player, which should allow you to watch the video.

As for the lack of speed, I dunno. It could be something to do with the port it's using, although I'm really not sure.

What bittorrent client are you using? That is, what program do you use to open the .torrent files?
Kingers
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
utorrent

i also tried bittorrent
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kingers)
Hi i dont really use bit torrent cos im not into downloading that much, but a friend told me about it so i downloaded family guy season 5 and hostel. However i have an 8mb connection and the fastest speed i got was like 10kb/s. So i went to bed, got up and hostel had downloaded, and i tried to play it but its just a 2 hour audio file when played on windows media, can anyone help me, i thought i might be able to change the format but it said it was a video file when i clicked properties

Any help regarding either problem would be greatly appreciated thanks

:confused:
Are you behind a firewall/NATed? If so, you need to forward a port to your torrent client.. this can vastly improve your download speeds.

Without port forwarding, other peers in the swarm will be unable to connect to you, only you to them. Even worse, if two peers are both in this state they will not be able to connect at all. This has obviously a detrimental effect on the overall speed.

The way to solve the problem involves opening the ports used for incoming connections (the same range you defined in your client) on the firewall and/or configuring your NAT server to use a basic form of NAT for that range instead of NAPT (the actual process differs widely between different router models. Check your router documentation and/or support forum. You will also find lots of information on the subject at PortForward).
Dills
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it could also be that you haven't limited your upload speed. I think they suggest your upload speed should be set to about an eigth of the overall capacity of your connection. So if you were on 2meg, you'd set it to 256kb (32KB). Although I'm on 1meg and I limit mine to 2KB/s, not because I don't like sharing, just because I get faster downloads that way.

Muck around with your rates and see which best suit your connection.
browser
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It could also be badly seeded...........
sufiankane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
go to google type in divx, download, install and play. that should work.
dapz69
Report 12 years ago
Hi guys,

I am sure there are many posts regarding this but I cannot seem to find them, and therefore was hoping you experts can help me out.

I am using utorrent, and have a connection of 2.2mb, however my speeds are very slow, the max speed i get is like 25kb and thats on a rare torrent.

I have put my upload rate to 5kb, as i read this could be a reason, but still no change. I also read that i should use ports between 10,000 and 60,000 as ISP's do not block them and so therefore i am using port 12,000 but still no change.

Can you please help me out?

Thanks.
jhendo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For anyone with problems, read this page http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Good_settings

I know the page is specifically for the Azureus client, but the settings are the same for all BT programmes. Follow them and you will get good speeds
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dapz69)
Hi guys,

I am sure there are many posts regarding this but I cannot seem to find them, and therefore was hoping you experts can help me out.

I am using utorrent, and have a connection of 2.2mb, however my speeds are very slow, the max speed i get is like 25kb and thats on a rare torrent.

I have put my upload rate to 5kb, as i read this could be a reason, but still no change. I also read that i should use ports between 10,000 and 60,000 as ISP's do not block them and so therefore i am using port 12,000 but still no change.

Can you please help me out?

Thanks.
Getting 25kB/s on a rare torrent isn't bad at all, I think?

Do you have port forwarding enabled?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (90)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (181)
40.22%
Nope, not that interesting (179)
39.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed