Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In the specification it says:

Preamble
Methods of proof, including proof by contradiction and disproof by
counter-example, are required. At least one question on the paper
will require the use of proof.

I've never seen a proof by contradiction/disproof by counter-example unless I have but didn't realise, can anyone give an example of when it's come up on a paper?
When it says at least one question will require proof

Is that e.g.
http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...uary/paper.php question 2(a) or 2(b)

http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...uary/paper.php question 2(a)?

If not which question is it?

Thank you
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IgorYakov)

Preamble

I've never seen a proof by contradiction/disproof by counter-example unless I have but didn't realise, can anyone give an example of when it's come up on a paper?

Is that e.g.

Thank you
Neither of those papers contains a proof-by-contradiction or a counterexample question, as far as I can tell.
The canonical example of a proof by contradiction is Euclid's proof that there are infinitely many primes, which is in the spoiler (but if you want to practise contradiction, you might like to leave this as an exercise, with the hint that "you can create a number which is not divided by any numbers in a given list, by multiplying the list together and adding 1").

Spoiler:
Show
Suppose there were not; suppose that there are only finitely many primes, p_1, \dots, p_k. Then the number p_1 \times \dots \times p_k + 1 is certainly not divisible by any of those primes, since it is one more than a multiple of any of the primes. But the number itself isn't prime (because it doesn't appear as a p_i for any i; and it doesn't have any prime factors (because no p_i divides it). This is a contradiction, because all positive integers are either prime or composite, and this number is neither of those. Hence there are, in fact, infinitely many primes.

I don't think I've ever seen it on a paper, that I remember (I took A-levels two years ago, so my memory may be faulty). It's quite hard to practise, too.
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Preamble

Is that e.g.

Thank you
A simple proof by contradiction is the proof that  \sqrt 2 is not a rational number.
Proof. Assume that it is i.e.  \sqrt 2=\frac{a}{b} where a and b are integers without a common factor.
Then squaring both sides  2=\frac{a^2}{b^2} \Rightarrow a^2=2b^2 so a^2  is an even number \Rightarrow a is an even number.
So put  a=2k then we have 4k^2=2b^2 \Rightarrow b^2=2k^2 \Rightarrow b^2 \mathrm{\ and\ hence\ }b are even numbers.
So a and b are both even numbers which contradicts our assumption that they had no common factor. So our initial assumption is incorrect and  \sqrt 2 cannot be expressed as a fraction.
A simple disproof by counterexample is the following.
Prove that the statement x^2>4 \Rightarrow x>2 is false.
Proof. x=-3 \Rightarrow  x^2=9>4 \mathrm{\ but\ }-3 is not >2
IgorYakov
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smaug123)
Neither of those papers contains a proof-by-contradiction or a counterexample question, as far as I can tell.
The canonical example of a proof by contradiction is Euclid's proof that there are infinitely many primes, which is in the spoiler (but if you want to practise contradiction, you might like to leave this as an exercise, with the hint that "you can create a number which is not divided by any numbers in a given list, by multiplying the list together and adding 1").

Spoiler:
Show
Suppose there were not; suppose that there are only finitely many primes, p_1, \dots, p_k. Then the number p_1 \times \dots \times p_k + 1 is certainly not divisible by any of those primes, since it is one more than a multiple of any of the primes. But the number itself isn't prime (because it doesn't appear as a p_i for any i; and it doesn't have any prime factors (because no p_i divides it). This is a contradiction, because all positive integers are either prime or composite, and this number is neither of those. Hence there are, in fact, infinitely many primes.

I don't think I've ever seen it on a paper, that I remember (I took A-levels two years ago, so my memory may be faulty). It's quite hard to practise, too.

(Original post by brianeverit)
A simple proof by contradiction is the proof that  \sqrt 2 is not a rational number.
Proof. Assume that it is i.e.  \sqrt 2=\frac{a}{b} where a and b are integers without a common factor.
Then squaring both sides  2=\frac{a^2}{b^2} \Rightarrow a^2=2b^2 so a^2  is an even number \Rightarrow a is an even number.
So put  a=2k then we have 4k^2=2b^2 \Rightarrow b^2=2k^2 \Rightarrow b^2 \mathrm{\ and\ hence\ }b are even numbers.
So a and b are both even numbers which contradicts our assumption that they had no common factor. So our initial assumption is incorrect and  \sqrt 2 cannot be expressed as a fraction.
A simple disproof by counterexample is the following.
Prove that the statement x^2>4 \Rightarrow x>2 is false.
Proof. x=-3 \Rightarrow  x^2=9>4 \mathrm{\ but\ }-3 is not >2

The first one is something I've never seen before but it makes sense, I'm not sure how to practice these and I don't know why it says at least one question will require proofs, I've not seen any at all so I don't know what type of things they expect :/
forsparta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The first one is something I've never seen before but it makes sense, I'm not sure how to practice these and I don't know why it says at least one question will require proofs, I've not seen any at all so I don't know what type of things they expect :/
Out of all the C3 paper I've ever done I've never seen proof by contradiction, counterexample could be likely but as shown that is straightforward.

Proof isn't even in the C3 textbook so I wouldn't worry about it tbh,
IgorYakov
Rep:
?
(Original post by forsparta)
Out of all the C3 paper I've ever done I've never seen proof by contradiction, counterexample could be likely but as shown that is straightforward.

Proof isn't even in the C3 textbook so I wouldn't worry about it tbh,

Yeah true but it's in the spec and they might throw one in there this year to give some people a shock
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=IgorYakov;47810512]The first one is something I've never seen before but it makes sense, I'm not sure how to practice these and I don't know why it says at least one question will require proofs, I've not seen any at all so I don't know what type of things they expect :/[/QUOTE

For proof by contradiction we make use of the fact that if you start from something that is true then it is impossible (by mathematically correct steps) to finish up with something that is false.
So if we are asked to prove that A=B, we start by assuming A does not equal B and show that it leads us to a contradicion.
The simplest example I cxan come up with is
Prove that x^2+1 \geq 2x for all values of x
So we start by assuming that x^2+1<2x \Rightarrow x^2+2x+1<0
But x^2+2x+1=(x+1)^2 \geq 0 contradicting our assumption. So our assumption must be incorreect and hence x^2+1 \geq 2x
IgorYakov
Rep:
?
(Original post by brianeverit)

For proof by contradiction we make use of the fact that if you start from something that is true then it is impossible (by mathematically correct steps) to finish up with something that is false.
So if we are asked to prove that A=B, we start by assuming A does not equal B and show that it leads us to a contradicion.
The simplest example I cxan come up with is
Prove that x^2+1 \geq 2x for all values of x
So we start by assuming that x^2+1<2x \Rightarrow x^2+2x+1<0
But x^2+2x+1=(x+1)^2 \geq 0 contradicting our assumption. So our assumption must be incorreect and hence x^2+1 \geq 2x
Aah right, thanks a lot
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aah right, thanks a lot
No problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (23)
12.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (16)
8.42%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (43)
22.63%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (28)
14.74%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (24)
12.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (56)
29.47%

Watched Threads