John10000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Scott.M)
Np.

I would strongly suggest not taking physics if you don't require it for your university degree.

I know people who had offers for cambridge who were excelling in everything else and yet only ended up getting a B in physics. The physics class in my cohort went from like 30 people in first year, to 5 people by the end, and my friends at uni tell me their physics class was the same.

That said, my cousin did it and she got an A* so it is do-able. So I suppose if you enjoy it you could give it a go! But I'd hate to think you'd miss your offer because of it

If you are aiming to get into medicine or dentistry like I was I would suggest doing an easy essay-based subject as I know my dental school seems to like you to do that to prove you can cope with different exam styles and structure essays. Personally I did ASpsychology... I didn't like it, but it was a lot easier than maths/bio/chem - my psychology exam was like 2 weeks after my chem/bio/maths exams, and I literally hadn't done any psychology work all year (I got a U in a past paper we done prior to those 2 weeks off). I literally spent those 2 weeks learning the textbook inside out and came out with an A. There's no way I could have done that in maths/chem/bio. But I bet there are other easy essay-based A-levels out there too.

Personally I'd keep maths/chem/bio at A2 (assuming you take maths) as you will find they are very similar subjects and exam styles so you can kinda stay in the 'zone' rather than think 'I have just finished my learn-the-textbook, scientific, short-answer-exam chemistry revision, now I must get into read-around-the-subject, non-scientific, essay-based-exam history revision mode'.

Also you will tend to find that the same people take all 3 of maths/chem/bio so you will be with the same people all the time, and also you can mark these exam papers yourself whereas it is very hard to mark an essay-based exam paper yourself and you will usually have to hand it in to your teacher to mark (and thus you can't sit at home, do one, and find out your result immediately).

Sorry for the essay, just thought all of this is info I'd have found useful when I was starting out

What subject you hoping to do at uni?
No thanks for the detailed response!!

I hope to do dentistry at University so Physics isnt mandatory. So Biology, chemistry, maths and what could you recommend for the 4rd AS level? I would generally like overlapping subjects which is why I suggested physics (maybe Ii could drop it at AS, i need a B in it, and maybe if i find im better at it than I thought i could take it for A2 instead?)
F.R.A.W.A
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
AQA Biology is a joke
John10000
Rep:
?
(Original post by F.R.A.W.A)
AQA Biology is a joke
What do you mean?
Scott.M
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by John10000)
No thanks for the detailed response!!

I hope to do dentistry at University so Physics isnt mandatory. So Biology, chemistry, maths and what could you recommend for the 4rd AS level? I would generally like overlapping subjects which is why I suggested physics (maybe Ii could drop it at AS, i need a B in it, and maybe if i find im better at it than I thought i could take it for A2 instead?)
If wanting an essay-based subject I'd suggest psychology as it's not too hard. Law is another and english lit/lang (although not sure how hard those are), I know history is tough too.

If wanting an overlapping subject I'd suggest either taking maths with further maths, or giving physics a go (you seem to have your heart set on it so mightaswell try). But just be warned it's tough! Make sure you bust your ass off to at least get that B

or you could do something like art to demonstrate manual dexterity
John10000
Rep:
?
If wanting an essay-based subject I'd suggest psychology as it's not too hard. Law is another and english lit/lang (although not sure how hard those are), I know history is tough too.

If wanting an overlapping subject I'd suggest either taking maths with further maths, or giving physics a go (you seem to have your heart set on it so mightaswell try). But just be warned it's tough! Make sure you bust your ass off to at least get that B

or you could do something like art to demonstrate manual dexterity
No I'd prefer not to do any essay based subjects haha I dont like them at all and further maths is a no no because I don't enjoy maths that much!!

Would you recommend I start revising for biology, chemistry, maths and physics this summer? (a few hours a day) and then more in september and turn up the work load in January onwards? Wouldn't that definitely increase my chances of getting 4 A's? because I will have the edge because I will be a few months ahead and I will be doing independent studying at home as well as in college.

I dont mean to dumb down the subject but I had a look at the OCR physics AS paper and I liked the layout very much, it was mainly calculations, definitions and explanations, unlike AQA it had no ambigious questions where you had to interpret or analyse data.. but I havent had a look at them all

What do you think ?
F.R.A.W.A
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What do you mean?

The syllabus is a mile long, there's a lot of complicated stuff (I'm talking more about A2 here than AS) but the exams are hardly relevant at all. The topics end up as themes for HSW questions which you have to be Jonathan Creek to answer and it doesn't benefit those people who work hard and understand the actual science. There's nothing wrong with it being applied, if it was a memory test it would be terrible obviously, but it is more than possible to have a very good understanding of the content and get a poor grade. Learning how to answer the questions is the most important thing and I don't think that's fair at all.
John10000
Rep:
?
The syllabus is a mile long, there's a lot of complicated stuff (I'm talking more about A2 here than AS) but the exams are hardly relevant at all. The topics end up as themes for HSW questions which you have to be Jonathan Creek to answer and it doesn't benefit those people who work hard and understand the actual science. There's nothing wrong with it being applied, if it was a memory test it would be terrible obviously, but it is more than possible to have a very good understanding of the content and get a poor grade. Learning how to answer the questions is the most important thing and I don't think that's fair at all.
You've scared me now lol. Which boards would you recommend for bio, chem and physics? I dislike interpreting graphs/how science works questions and ive seen hardly any of those types of questions on the OCR papers as opposed to the AQA papers which love them
F.R.A.W.A
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You've scared me now lol. Which boards would you recommend for bio, chem and physics? I dislike interpreting graphs/how science works questions and ive seen hardly any of those types of questions on the OCR papers as opposed to the AQA papers which love them
I don't do Physics so I don't know about that. I do OCR A Chemistry and it's pretty good. Certainly easier than the AQA syllabus by all accounts. The OCR stuff is pretty interesting and the papers aren't stupid, apparently OCR Salters isn't bad but having never done it I can't say either way
John10000
Rep:
?
I don't do Physics so I don't know about that. I do OCR A Chemistry and it's pretty good. Certainly easier than the AQA syllabus by all accounts. The OCR stuff is pretty interesting and the papers aren't stupid, apparently OCR Salters isn't bad but having never done it I can't say either way
Which other subjects do you do? And are you doing AS or A2 right now?
blossomx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do physics and chemistry and during revision i went through different exam boards websites to practice more questions.

For Physics, definitely OCR A. Edexcel is ridiculously difficult in their physics questions - don't be enticed by their multiple choice questions they are really tricky, I was honestly shocked at their difficulty.

For Chemistry, I'd say they're all pretty equal. I feel like with AQA and OCR questions are worded quite simply and what you see is what you get whereas Edexcel uses loads of little details to try and catch you out. That being said I feel like Edexcel is much better at marking papers as when you go through their examiner reports they really look at your answer and assess whether you've shown understanding to do what they were looking for rather than just used particular wording.

I'd recommend having a look through the papers and mark schemes to see which kind of format you prefer. They all cover pretty much identical content.
Okkefac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So I do all those four subjects, and my exam boards are as following: OCR for maths, OCR B for physics, edexcel for chemistry and AQA for biology.

I'd recommend not doing OCR B physics, for multiple reasons. It's more about application which whilst some people enjoy that, in my opinion it's more difficult to learn. Now the more important reasons, for starters there are hardly any resources for it, there's one textbook (which is horrifically bad, don't buy the OCR B textbook- we got given it by our school for the year and it's just pointless to read, more like a book than an actual factual book to help with your A level) and the only other book is a CGP revision guide, which lacks A LOT of detail. From what I've read on here, OCR A is apparently good for physics, but I know book wise AQA probably have better options but I don't know what their physics course is like. Also, as someone else said on here the questions are horribly irrelevant, although that was mostly just due to the physics paper from hell which we had the other week - some example were 1. knowing the density of wood, like, how we were to know that? 2. some stupid stuff about QR codes, could use logic but extremely difficult logic I guess, also the paper was ridiculously time restricted and hardly anybody completed it. Hopefully that will be changed soon and next year OCR will do a decent physics paper (the other years didn't seem too bad in general).

I've been told OCR B salters chemistry is good though, as it bases questions on knowledge. Whilst I guess some definitions may need to be learnt, that isn't too difficult. Edexcel chemistry I find annoying, the coursework is nice (easier than the EMPAs which AQA do) but the papers are frustrating. At the beginning you get 20 questions, 1 mark each, and it's just that some of them require a lot of work for just one mark, and you can do a calculation for example and just get one part wrong, and choose the wrong answer (they are multiple choice questions) and get 0 marks for it, despite practically knowing what the answer was, just getting a - or + sign wrong, for example. Book wise it seems okay, I've found a few edexcel books for it which seem reasonable, and the CGP revision guide I find to be quite good actually. So from what I've been told OCR B is good, I have no clue as for AQA, but I imagine like most AQA subjects there are a lot of books to help you with knowledge.

For biology I'd say it depends on how much you like/dislike the graphs and such. As said before I think AQA tends to provide good books to help with revision, for example CGP do for AQA (and maybe other exam boards? none of the ones I do for my subjects though) a revision book (not revision guide) which talks through each topic in detail and has loads of exam style questions, which really helps with learning exam technique. I find the EMPA annoying, but some people like it because it's easy I guess. Again not exactly sure on what the other exam board options for biology are like.

As for maths I really don't know what the other exam boards are like aside from OCR. In my opinion OCR maths is okay, could be better, could be worse. I heard it's a difficult exam board, however true that is I don't know however. I think the OCR exams are straight to the point, I've seen a few exam boards have questions where the maths is kind of slightly applied, which I am yet to see in a C1 or C2 paper for OCR. I don't imagine the actual maths skill required changes too much across all exam boards, but still make sure to look around.

EDIT: This is so looong, I'm sorry D: Didn't mean to write this much.
John10000
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeaX)
I do physics and chemistry and during revision i went through different exam boards websites to practice more questions.

For Physics, definitely OCR A. Edexcel is ridiculously difficult in their physics questions - don't be enticed by their multiple choice questions they are really tricky, I was honestly shocked at their difficulty.

For Chemistry, I'd say they're all pretty equal. I feel like with AQA and OCR questions are worded quite simply and what you see is what you get whereas Edexcel uses loads of little details to try and catch you out. That being said I feel like Edexcel is much better at marking papers as when you go through their examiner reports they really look at your answer and assess whether you've shown understanding to do what they were looking for rather than just used particular wording.

I'd recommend having a look through the papers and mark schemes to see which kind of format you prefer. They all cover pretty much identical content.
Thank you for your advice . When you say edexcel has multiple choice questions, do you mean for all of their physics, chemistry and biology papers/questions? Or do they just contain a few questions like that? (just tried looking - the site is down for some reason at the moment)

PS: Are you doing the EMPA or ISA for physics? And if I was doing the EMPA at the college would I be able to do an ISA instead externally? I believe I can but I'm not sure..?
John10000
Rep:
?
(Original post by Okkefac)
So I do all those four subjects, and my exam boards are as following: OCR for maths, OCR B for physics, edexcel for chemistry and AQA for biology.

I'd recommend not doing OCR B physics, for multiple reasons. It's more about application which whilst some people enjoy that, in my opinion it's more difficult to learn. Now the more important reasons, for starters there are hardly any resources for it, there's one textbook (which is horrifically bad, don't buy the OCR B textbook- we got given it by our school for the year and it's just pointless to read, more like a book than an actual factual book to help with your A level) and the only other book is a CGP revision guide, which lacks A LOT of detail. From what I've read on here, OCR A is apparently good for physics, but I know book wise AQA probably have better options but I don't know what their physics course is like. Also, as someone else said on here the questions are horribly irrelevant, although that was mostly just due to the physics paper from hell which we had the other week - some example were 1. knowing the density of wood, like, how we were to know that? 2. some stupid stuff about QR codes, could use logic but extremely difficult logic I guess, also the paper was ridiculously time restricted and hardly anybody completed it. Hopefully that will be changed soon and next year OCR will do a decent physics paper (the other years didn't seem too bad in general).

I've been told OCR B salters chemistry is good though, as it bases questions on knowledge. Whilst I guess some definitions may need to be learnt, that isn't too difficult. Edexcel chemistry I find annoying, the coursework is nice (easier than the EMPAs which AQA do) but the papers are frustrating. At the beginning you get 20 questions, 1 mark each, and it's just that some of them require a lot of work for just one mark, and you can do a calculation for example and just get one part wrong, and choose the wrong answer (they are multiple choice questions) and get 0 marks for it, despite practically knowing what the answer was, just getting a - or + sign wrong, for example. Book wise it seems okay, I've found a few edexcel books for it which seem reasonable, and the CGP revision guide I find to be quite good actually. So from what I've been told OCR B is good, I have no clue as for AQA, but I imagine like most AQA subjects there are a lot of books to help you with knowledge.

For biology I'd say it depends on how much you like/dislike the graphs and such. As said before I think AQA tends to provide good books to help with revision, for example CGP do for AQA (and maybe other exam boards? none of the ones I do for my subjects though) a revision book (not revision guide) which talks through each topic in detail and has loads of exam style questions, which really helps with learning exam technique. I find the EMPA annoying, but some people like it because it's easy I guess. Again not exactly sure on what the other exam board options for biology are like.

As for maths I really don't know what the other exam boards are like aside from OCR. In my opinion OCR maths is okay, could be better, could be worse. I heard it's a difficult exam board, however true that is I don't know however. I think the OCR exams are straight to the point, I've seen a few exam boards have questions where the maths is kind of slightly applied, which I am yet to see in a C1 or C2 paper for OCR. I don't imagine the actual maths skill required changes too much across all exam boards, but still make sure to look around.

EDIT: This is so looong, I'm sorry D: Didn't mean to write this much.
Haha no its fine mate.

Really? Hmm. For maths i am definitely against doing OCR, so I will be taking Edexcel because that seems to be the 'easiest' and most student friendly I've heard anyway.

I like the format of the OCR papers, i haven't heard any good things about OCR B for physics lol so I wont do that. Right now it is as such:

Biology: AQA
Chemistry: OCR A
Physics: OCR A

But I havent heard much about Edexcel, the site is running again and I just checked, the first 10 marks are pretty piss easy no? Or am I wrong..?

Anything where there are NO graphs, i very much dislike interpreting graphs and how science works questions if that helps?

PS: How is your Biology for AQA? Does it contain a lot of graph/how science works questions? (my worry is not being able to get used to answering questions from multiple exam boards, thats why i'd preferably like to take ALL OCR sciences as opposed to one edexcel, 1 aqa and 1 ocr
Obliviate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Biology AQA - although the book that is provided by the exam board is very good and provides a lot of detail and explains everything well, the exams themselves are just horrible. You can answer the question correctly, but if it's not what an examiner wants then you don't get the marks, however I like the format of both exams. The EMPAs are a bit awful tho.

EDIT: OP in AQA Biology there is a quite a lot of HSW questions and in every exam there is at least one graph, but I guess it's Biology.

Chemistry AQA - love everything from the content to textbooks to exams.

Maths AQA - I really like the format of the exams, however examiners are getting meaner every year regarding questions. Also the variety of optional modules is quite handy if you feel more confident in some areas. Lots of textbooks, however some are better than others.

Physics OCR A - when I was comparing my exam with my boyfriend's Edexcel exam I was so happy that I'm doing OCR. The questions are quite nice, more calculations than explain questions, and usually everything relates to what you should have been taught. However the time you are given for the first exam is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
blossomx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you for your advice . When you say edexcel has multiple choice questions, do you mean for all of their physics, chemistry and biology papers/questions? Or do they just contain a few questions like that? (just tried looking - the site is down for some reason at the moment)

PS: Are you doing the EMPA or ISA for physics? And if I was doing the EMPA at the college would I be able to do an ISA instead externally? I believe I can but I'm not sure..?
No, I've only looked at their A2 papers and they had one multiple choice paper and one written answers paper which I believe where both from the same unit (unit 4). For chemistry they have 20 marks worth of multiple choice and 70 marks of written in one paper.

I did the ISA and I've never heard of an EMPA. I know you can do the ISA externally but you have to find a lab and it can get pretty pricey.
Okkefac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Haha no its fine mate.

Really? Hmm. For maths i am definitely against doing OCR, so I will be taking Edexcel because that seems to be the 'easiest' and most student friendly I've heard anyway.

I like the format of the OCR papers, i haven't heard any good things about OCR B for physics lol so I wont do that. Right now it is as such:

Biology: AQA
Chemistry: OCR A
Physics: OCR A

But I havent heard much about Edexcel, the site is running again and I just checked, the first 10 marks are pretty piss easy no? Or am I wrong..?

Anything where there are NO graphs, i very much dislike interpreting graphs and how science works questions if that helps?

PS: How is your Biology for AQA? Does it contain a lot of graph/how science works questions? (my worry is not being able to get used to answering questions from multiple exam boards, thats why i'd preferably like to take ALL OCR sciences as opposed to one edexcel, 1 aqa and 1 ocr
Ah, so OCR maths is difficult, I guess my teachers hate their students OCR maths and OCR B physics, hah.

Well for edexcel the first few marks on the chemistry paper are all one markers and are generally easy but it's a lot of work for one mark. So whilst it's easy to do, it sometimes takes work that should be more like 2 or 3 marks not one, and as I said you can do most of the logic right but if you get it wrong you get 0 marks, and that's rather annoying, and those wrong answers may add up in the end and cause a drop in a grade. And generally I find the questions just strange...but that might be me, I like structure with the subjects I learn, and I struggle to find structure in chemistry, but as I said that's probably just me XD.

Well, biology AQA does have quite a lot of graph/how science works questions. I hate them too, and it's one reason why I'm dropping biology after AS (at A2 AQA you have to write an essay as part of your exam, meaning you need to get some knowledge on both all A2 stuff and remember your AS knowledge). I don't know if it's an AQA thing though, or a biology thing, as a subject it may just contain a lot of graphs. Eventually if you work hard enough though you'll learn how to cope with the graph questions, initially I was getting Cs based on my bad graph questions, but now I'm getting As, I think. I think I remember hearing bad things about OCR biology, I can't remember though. But overall AQA seems okay.

You shouldn't be too worried about having to learn to answer questions for different exam boards, since it's not too much extra work than learning the content of your subjects anyway, or so I think.
Scott.M
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No I'd prefer not to do any essay based subjects haha I dont like them at all and further maths is a no no because I don't enjoy maths that much!!

Would you recommend I start revising for biology, chemistry, maths and physics this summer? (a few hours a day) and then more in september and turn up the work load in January onwards? Wouldn't that definitely increase my chances of getting 4 A's? because I will have the edge because I will be a few months ahead and I will be doing independent studying at home as well as in college.

I dont mean to dumb down the subject but I had a look at the OCR physics AS paper and I liked the layout very much, it was mainly calculations, definitions and explanations, unlike AQA it had no ambigious questions where you had to interpret or analyse data.. but I havent had a look at them all

What do you think ?
Bio/Chem/Physics/Maths is a tough combo of A-levels. Be sure you will manage to cope.

And yeah starting now would increase your chances of getting As (provided you don't become complacent during the year), however you might then struggle for the summer exams as you won't get such a headstart following the January exams to prepare for those in summer. Also college would become very boring as you would be going to lessons thinking 'I already know this', and you might get sick of going over the same stuff.
John10000
Rep:
?
Bio/Chem/Physics/Maths is a tough combo of A-levels. Be sure you will manage to cope.

And yeah starting now would increase your chances of getting As (provided you don't become complacent during the year), however you might then struggle for the summer exams as you won't get such a headstart following the January exams to prepare for those in summer. Also college would become very boring as you would be going to lessons thinking 'I already know this', and you might get sick of going over the same stuff.
Yeah I understand what you mean, I will make it a number 1 priority not to become complacent. What do you mean? They don't do modular exams anymore? They are all linear and will all be in the summer now, unless im wrong ?

Yeah I understand what you mean, but I think its like everything, repetition is the key to proficiency, i'd rather get fed up of going over the same thing for like 8 months than get a bad grade :P. I think it's important to get your knowledge in that subject to such a state, that if you see an exam question, answering it correctly with correct use of the desired key words is a reflex action, do you agree?
John10000
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeaX)
No, I've only looked at their A2 papers and they had one multiple choice paper and one written answers paper which I believe where both from the same unit (unit 4). For chemistry they have 20 marks worth of multiple choice and 70 marks of written in one paper.

I did the ISA and I've never heard of an EMPA. I know you can do the ISA externally but you have to find a lab and it can get pretty pricey.
Oh ok thanks .

I heard that if you do very well in your AS levels, then you can (obviously work hard) but even if you got as low as B's in your A2's, you would get A's overall, is that true? (for bio,chem maths and physics)
HappyCheesecake
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would like to take the following subjects for AS-level in September :

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematics

And I would like to drop either Maths or Physics at AS depending on how I do,

Can you please advise me on which the 'easiest' and most user friendly boards are for these subjects? Because i've heard AQA are overly specific on short precise sentences etc, whereas I've had a look at an OCR exam paper and I like it's format..

?
I do all of these at AS so I might be able to offer some insight

Maths (Edexcel): C1 and C2 are lovely, the application modules are a little bit harder but that's probably just me. M1 helps if you're doing physics. As for the exam board, Edexcel are really good, lot's of textbooks and online resources. Exam papers are nice and easy provided you do the revision and practice exam technique since they are a little repetitive with the questions they ask.

Biology (OCR): I actually quite like biology with this board. The content is quite interesting, though there is a LOT to learn so start revision early if you want to go with this board. The exams are OK and the textbook should be adequate enough to help you with revision. The coursework is a killer with really high grade boundaries (35/40 for an A last year). Mark schemes are really specific though but this shouldn't be a problem if you practice exam technique.

Chemistry (Edexcel): Edexcel papers for chemistry are relatively straightforward with the odd one or two marker to try and throw you off. Coursework is quite easy, though again really high grade boundaries (37/40 for an A)! They have a multiple choice section which is quite nice IF you know everything as you get tested on practically the whole spec here.

Physics (OCR B): Please, for the sake of your mental health, do not do physics with this board. Awful board, awful textbook, awful exams and very little online resources. You've got the first exam which is worth 30%, yet most of it isn't even physics. At some points during the course, I felt like I was doing computer science as opposed to physics. I came out of my physics exam this year distraught and many complained over the lack of questions which weren't actually in the spec. And the time they give you in the exam is atrocious. The only redeemable part of this course is the coursework which is quite nicest and easiest compared to the other science coursework I had to complete.

If you're going to drop one at A2, then perhaps physics would be the best to drop since maths helps a lot with chemistry (even though most of the maths in chemistry is relatively simple, it's nice to keep it all fresh in your mind). But maybe I'm just a bit biased since I had OCR B for physics

Overall, doing these four at AS has been enjoyable, if a little stressful. As long as you work hard and keep up with the workload, you should do well

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed