The Student Room Group

Help urgently needed!!!

I am planning to apply for fall 2015. The UCAS application deadline for Oxybridge is Oct 2014. I am planning to take AS for law, history and maths during that time. My school doesn't offer those subjects and hence I am planning to take them independently. The subjects I gave my AS exams right now for were: economics, business, literature and maths. However the maths exam I gave was edexcel and it wasn't further maths but maths statistics, which doesn't have great credits. I am also going to give my maths A level in may/June. But since I am giving them independently I doubt my school will be able to give me a predicted grade.

Will that affect my application? If so, what can I do to remedy this?
Can you perhaps clean up your text a little so it makes more sense, as I'm struggling to understand what you want answered.
You are currently making it sound like your will be taking 6 AS levels over 2 years but how many will be taken to full A levels?

You will also need to disclose what you are intending to apply for, I assume Maths?
Original post by uniqsummer
Can you perhaps clean up your text a little so it makes more sense, as I'm struggling to understand what you want answered.
You are currently making it sound like your will be taking 6 AS levels over 2 years but how many will be taken to full A levels?

You will also need to disclose what you are intending to apply for, I assume Maths?

I don't seem to understand either - are you confusing AS and A2?
Reply 3
Original post by uniqsummer

I am currently taking 4 AS level: maths, economics, business and literature. But the maths isn't Cambridge it's Edexcel- which has very little credit. To take subjects with more credit, I am planning to register myself independently for the oct/nov AS level for CIE maths, law and history.
For my A level exam, which will take place in may/june 2015, I will continue economics, business and literature but I will drop Edexcel maths and give the A level exam for CIE maths instead.

I am planning to apply for economics which requires A level maths.

My concern is that i won't be able to get predicted grades from my school for the subjects i am pursuing independently and my A level maths as well. Will this affect my application?

Ps. I hope this is more lucid.
Very little credit? Who told you this? UCAS use tariff points that are based on grade achieved - the exam board doesn't make any difference whatsoever EVEN for top tier Universities.

Despite some peoples opinions all exams are controlled by a regulatory body called Ofqual who make sure everything is fair across all boards.
What you seem to want to do seems a little OTT, and actually quite disruptive to your studies overall.

Universities will be looking for the grades you achieved in your A-levels, not the board you achieved them with and certainly with Economics at Oxford, your results in the TSA alone will decide whether you get an interview or not.

UCAS Tariffs: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables
Ofqual: http://ofqual.gov.uk/
TSA: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/our-services/thinking-skills/tsa-oxford/about-tsa-oxford/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BaBaBanana
I am currently taking 4 AS level: maths, economics, business and literature. But the maths isn't Cambridge it's Edexcel- which has very little credit. To take subjects with more credit, I am planning to register myself independently for the oct/nov AS level for CIE maths, law and history.
For my A level exam, which will take place in may/june 2015, I will continue economics, business and literature but I will drop Edexcel maths and give the A level exam for CIE maths instead.

I am planning to apply for economics which requires A level maths.

My concern is that i won't be able to get predicted grades from my school for the subjects i am pursuing independently and my A level maths as well. Will this affect my application?

Ps. I hope this is more lucid.

Cambridge don't discriminate against exam boards. No university for that matter. There's no point taking CIE maths when it's worth the same as Edexcel maths (even though CIE might indeed be harder). You really need to adjust your application to university, because someone has seriously misinformed you.
I doubt the tutors even know about the different exam boards...

Plus taking so many AS levels is totally unnecessary and could potentially jeopardise your grades, which would be a problem.
Reply 7
Original post by Olympiad
I don't seem to understand either - are you confusing AS and A2?

Hi my dear. i tried msging you but your inbox is full.
Are you on CIE History?
I need to purchase some books for CIE AS History but I need to know
1) Do we only study just one option for the exam for AS level?
2) What about A2?
3) which option is easier? Europe, International or USA?
please help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending