The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isaaccharles
I have come across several people on TSR who constantly hate private schools and claim that privately educated people don't work hard for A*s. But why all the hate?

The values associated with the stereotypical view of private school students. Can't say I'm wrong when I say stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.
Original post by ImABigOldTurd
The values associated with the stereotypical view of private school students. Can't say I'm wrong when I say stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason.

Unfortunately I agree with this big ol turd. It's the posh preppy twots that go there.
Original post by BratMonster
Unfortunately I agree with this big ol turd. It's the posh preppy twots that go there.

It may surprise you but not all private schools fit in to the category of "posh preppy twots". Many have normal people in them, I would say just like you, but it seems you are not a normal person.
Original post by DiddyDec
It may surprise you but not all private schools fit in to the category of "posh preppy twots". Many have normal people in them, I would say just like you, but it seems you are not a normal person.

It does? How'd you get that impression?
It does? How'd you get that impression?

I just have this feeling.
I just have this feeling.

Feeling? Well get your hand off your knob and maybe then you'd stop feeling weird vibes. I'm proudly East End & chavvy because I couldn't drop two ****s about what people think. :woo:
Feeling? Well get your hand off your knob and maybe then you'd stop feeling weird vibes. I'm proudly East End & chavvy because I couldn't drop two ****s about what people think. :woo:

Have you met many people from private education? (Lets at least try to keep it on topic)
Have you met many people from private education? (Lets at least try to keep it on topic)

:curious: Don't start. You're the one who implied I'm "not normal." I asked, you answered.

Second, I do know privately schooled people. I was privately schooled as a matter of fact; primary school. :closedeyes: I rebelled in my older years and my mum didn't want to spend anymore money on it. So I went to a comprehensive school. Enough about me, though. Have you ever met anyone in private school, since you're so quick to save them.
:curious: Don't start. You're the one who implied I'm "not normal." I asked, you answered.

Second, I do know privately schooled people. I was privately schooled as a matter of fact; primary school. :closedeyes: I rebelled in my older years and my mum didn't want to spend anymore money on it. So I went to a comprehensive school. Enough about me, though. Have you ever met anyone in private school, since you're so quick to save them.

I have indeed, I have been privately educated up until college, as I didn't want to go down a normal route of education. I see nothing wrong with private education nor the people that attend those establishments. Just because someone's family has money does not mean they are any different from anyone else.
I have indeed, I have been privately educated up until college, as I didn't want to go down a normal route of education. I see nothing wrong with private education nor the people that attend those establishments. Just because someone's family has money does not mean they are any different from anyone else.

Well when I went lots of people called me chav. This was primary school, mind you, and children are evil and stupid, and repeat their parents, but I took it personally and got into a lot of fights. So my mum got into a lot of fights. With me, staff and other parents. She had enough and pulled me out. So **** private school. I went and they are normal, as you said. Just as foul and wicked and dumb. Just with better clothes and stuffy voices. :rolleyes:
Well when I went lots of people called me chav. This was primary school, mind you, and children are evil and stupid, and repeat their parents, but I took it personally and got into a lot of fights. So my mum got into a lot of fights. With me, staff and other parents. She had enough and pulled me out. So **** private school. I went and they are normal, as you said. Just as foul and wicked and dumb. Just with better clothes and stuffy voices. :rolleyes:

We all have different experiences from school whether it be private or not. I never experienced any form of bullying nor have I ever witnessed it happening.
I think a part of it is jealousy, which is a normal part of human nature. If you see your friend with a new expensive item of clothing perhaps you get jealous. If you see your friend with a new attractive girlfriend perhaps you get jealous, and it's the same with schooling. I went to a state school and in a past life I was a touch jealous of people that went to private school because I wanted it as well. I wanted the connections, the status, and everything that came with that.

But I guess when I got to university, I realised that people aren't defined by their school. I'd made it to the same university as people that went to some of the 'top' private schools in the country and you realise for most part they are just normal people as well trying to do well for themselves who perhaps had a bit of a head start. That would be my analysis.
We all have different experiences from school whether it be private or not. I never experienced any form of bullying nor have I ever witnessed it happening.

I wasn't bullied. I had mates and that but as a child you don't handle things properly. I was under 11 the whole time and we're all underdeveloped and poke fun. Mostly it was boys and they would tease and get physical in the schoolyard and so even in my skirt I'd fight back. It would be like playing footy and I'd purposefully kick them with the ball. Stuff like that that got me expelled. Well that got me threatened to be expelled and my mum just pulled me out before that happened.
Quite simply it is jealousy. We denounce what we can not have.
Original post by Huskaris
Quite simply it is jealousy. We denounce what we can not have.

I think this is a factor, but tells only half a story; that your "quite simply..." is too simple. People get much less exercised about private provision in healthcare, though medicine is otherwise at least as emotive a subject and an area in which people are at least as dissatisfied with state provision as they are in education.

You are very rude because you can't refer all privately educated people as "posh preppy twots" although you didn't have much of a good experience at a private school yourself. Privately educated people aren't different to those at comprehensive schools.
Britain is so ****ed up to the extent that giving ones kids a good education (something which is fundamental to asian culture btw) is sneered at while getting pregnant aged 19 to warehouse Darren is pretty much considered plumb normal.

We're animals really...
Original post by SevernSoulCrew
Britain is so ****ed up to the extent that giving ones kids a good education (something which is fundamental to asian culture btw) is sneered at while getting pregnant aged 19 to warehouse Darren is pretty much considered plumb normal.

We're animals really...

I agree with you it's such an unfair system. If you go to a private school you are considered in such bad ways where as if you have no education you are society's authority.
Original post by isaaccharles
Privately educated people aren't different to those at comprehensive schools.

I would have to disagree. The differences between my friends from my own local comprehensive, and the tennis club I go to outside school (which is made up almost exclusively of kids from private schools - I can barely afford it) are marked. From what I have seen, kids from private schools are really far more confident and well-spoken than regular kids. They also usually have a much broader range of interests, and this is all to be expected, really. Affluence opens up a vast array of opportunities, which people from less wealthy backgrounds simply do not have.

As for the whole snobbery deal, I think the prevalence of that attitude is rather exaggerated. On the whole, most of the people from private schools I've met have been very nice. :^_^:

Latest