why do people hate private schools? Watch

ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hanvyj)
I couldn't do Maths at Uni. Why? Our school couldn't afford a Maths teacher that was qualified to teach further maths. That even affected my Physics degree, where 95% of the other students had further maths...
That's terrible
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yl95)
I agree; my school is incredibly *****y. I've heard that St Catherine's is even worse...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Girls schools are the worst. Thank god we had mixed 6th form else I think I'd have been driven to suicide.
aliciaa1997
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
Yeah for girly stereotypically feminine girls its fine.

The girls at my school were the biggest *****es. Except the Muslim girls who were generally nice. And a couple of others.

I just got bullied throughout school.
Ah I'm sorry to hear that you had that experience...I really hope everything's ok now

Well throughout most of senior school I wasn't that feminine in terms of clothes and hair etc- I only started being a bit more feminine this last year, but I don't even bother wearing makeup (ain't nobody got time for that). Tbh in year 7 I would have been the perfect victim for bullying- I didn't wear nice clothes or do my hair well etc, I had a lisp, I had extremely low self-confidence because I had just come from a school where I had been bullied, but luckily for me, the meaner girls didn't bother me and I found a lot of nice people.

It definitely depends on where you go. I think that if you had gone to my school you might have had a different experience, although the niceness of people varies between years.
JustBeingProud
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I go to a private school ad i have never had problems making friends with people who go to state schools. i think some people are just dumb and for that reason they are not open minded and judgmental.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aliciaa1997)
Ah I'm sorry to hear that you had that experience...I really hope everything's ok now

Well throughout most of senior school I wasn't that feminine in terms of clothes and hair etc- I only started being a bit more feminine this last year, but I don't even bother wearing makeup (ain't nobody got time for that). Tbh in year 7 I would have been the perfect victim for bullying- I didn't wear nice clothes or do my hair well etc, I had a lisp, I had extremely low self-confidence because I had just come from a school where I had been bullied, but luckily for me, the meaner girls didn't bother me and I found a lot of nice people.

It definitely depends on where you go. I think that if you had gone to my school you might have had a different experience, although the niceness of people varies between years.
If only I'd been quiet. I was loud and boyish and joked about all the time. I was also quite attractive - looking older than I was from a young age. I was just a magnet for bullies.
aliciaa1997
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
If only I'd been quiet. I was loud and boyish and joked about all the time. I was also quite attractive - looking older than I was from a young age. I was just a magnet for bullies.
I don't understand how some people can be so mean and heartless to others. Bullies are such a waste of space
Hanvyj
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by isaaccharles)
Historically they would have?
So, effecrivley, the children of slaves who were mostly illeterate in the USA scores as highly as the white kids?

The children of landowners of the white elite in apartide southafeica did as well as the kids of the indiginous population, mostly farmers?

Historically, the socioeconomic factors give black kids a huge disadvantage, naturally they would have performed worse in schools...
Hanvyj
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by harryhamilton)
That is extremely racist.
No it's not.

So, effecrivley, the children of slaves who were mostly illeterate in the USA scores as highly as the white kids?

The children of landowners of the white elite in apartide southafeica did as well as the kids of the indiginous population, mostly farmers?

Historically, the socioeconomic factors give black kids a huge disadvantage, naturally they would have performed worse in schools...

Black people commit proportionally more crime in the UK than white people. That's a fact, you can't dispute it. WHY isn't because black people are criminals or there's some racial reason they commit crime: the reason is that black people make a larger proportion of the poorer population. Correlation doesn't equal causation. The cause is socioeconomic, not race.
Curracloe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The parents decide where their children get educated, it’s obviously therefore going to be the parents wealth the exact same way parents indicate if their child goes to a regular comprehensive or a grammar school. The top professions are not dominated by privately educated people; it is primarily a choice whereby politics seems to be the most popular amongst privately educated.
Exactly, so the reason people hate private schools is because their students have been given an unfair advantage in life by sheer virtue of their parents' wealth. Everyone would like to have the resources and education offered by schools like Eton, Charterhouse or any other private schools, but they don't have that option purely because they were born into a poorer family. Also, parents dont directly decide if their children go to grammar schools or comps, theyre not fee paying. Incidentally, i also dont believe grammar schools are fair, but at least they have a notion of being so. And i didn't imply they were dominated by private school students, i said they were disproportionately populated by them, so they may be in the minority in some top professions, but still over-represented in terms of general population. That said, many of the top professions are dominated by privately educated people, even in areas such as the arts. And it seems a somewhat bizarre coincidence that when people are given an education whereby they could enter almost any profession they wanted, they so often by chance happen to become politicians
MrSupernova
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally, I think that the way schools are functioning are fine, however the only issue is that some schools need to improve the facilities they provide and the teaching quality. If there was only one kind of school, that would only result in chaos and disagreements.
Easy for you to say... I hate the saying "check your privilege", but I think it's appropriate here (for once). Read this post again (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post47828865) and tell me everything's alright, Jack with the schools system. Better facilities cost money that isn't there. Better teaching requires better teachers, but many of the best ones are attracted to the private sector due to the higher salaries on offer.

(Original post by E-wan)
The grammar school system original worked by having the brightest from both comprehensive and privately funded schools. I can't see how this system is flawed. It would also provide more less well off children to gain a foot hold in the political system where there hasn't been a comprehensive prime minister for at least 50 years.
Here's a flaw in the system - kids who didn't ace the 11+ were chucked on the scrapheap and, unless their parents had the money to pay for private education, had no option but to go to a secondary modern, which were basically sink schools. Pupils at secondary moderns had no option to take O-levels, so a few marks on a test taken at the age of 11 really could make or break your future.

(Original post by yl95)
(Blimey, I'm shocked at your use of 'would of'...)
Note also the use of "more better" in an earlier post...

I didn't randomly make it up, I suggest you take a look at the league table. Most of the top schools are single sex grammar schools. Also, some may hate the idea of separation due to gender and I completely understand that.
The schools at the top tend to very old, so were established when single-sex education was the norm. Being old, they've been around for a long time, which makes them prestigious and, in turn attracts the best pupils. Better results may be down to the separation of the sexes, but it's impossible to say that for sure.

Having a low income doesn't determine how well you would do in school.
Many studies say otherwise. The fact that income does have an impact on attainment due to the different types of schools is also the whole reason we're having this debate.
king0vdarkness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I went to a private school from yr 4 till my first year of a levels. So I know the ins and out of a private school - of course not all private schools are like this one but- it does have a lot of people up their own asses (including the teachers) and therefore there are a lot of bullies; and they are the worst kid of bullies (from the ordinary sort you see in movies to those that terrorise students, dinner ladies and teachers). Plus no one gives two sh*ts about the people getting bullied.

The reason I stayed is because I wasn't getting bullied (to the extent of others) and I made some good friends but after junior school I wish I hadn't stayed cause it just went downhill after that. To cut it short if you are a slacker, go to a private junior school then leave, otherwise don't even bother - i've also heard it's harder to get into uni via private - what's the point in paying for crappy education, i say you should enjoy you childhood, and play sports. I'll probably get a lot of hate for this post but hey that's my opinion on the matter!
icecreamcake
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I guess it also depends on the person. For some girls, an all girls environment is perfect for them, for others, such as yourself, it's not. It also depends on the community you're around. The girls at my school are the nicest, most down to earth people I've ever met (well, most of them). I probably got lucky in a way but I think with the same girls and the same number of boys added to that, however nice they might have been, it would have hindered my education. But then again certain people do well in different educational environments and single-sex schools really help those who need them.
Yes I agree with you. I've been at my current (girls private) school for the past five years and I've never been bullied or witnessed any bullying :/ maybe I just got lucky because my school is very strict about bullying plus maybe my year is a very nice year.

And I really like being at my school. I prefer single sex schools because I feel no need to dress up for boys etc because it's a very closed girls community here so we girls can basically talk about anything without worrying. And I just tend to work better when I'm not with boys because they distract me hence I didn't apply for a mixed sixth form.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I honestly have not experienced anything bad at my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Harry, I think you'd find that the top schools in reliable league tables are actually private and not grammar schools...

Posted from TSR Mobile
isaaccharles
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by king0vdarkness)
I went to a private school from yr 4 till my first year of a levels. So I know the ins and out of a private school - of course not all private schools are like this one but- it does have a lot of people up their own asses (including the teachers) and therefore there are a lot of bullies; and they are the worst kid of bullies (from the ordinary sort you see in movies to those that terrorise students, dinner ladies and teachers). Plus no one gives two sh*ts about the people getting bullied.

The reason I stayed is because I wasn't getting bullied (to the extent of others) and I made some good friends but after junior school I wish I hadn't stayed cause it just went downhill after that. To cut it short if you are a slacker, go to a private junior school then leave, otherwise don't even bother - i've also heard it's harder to get into uni via private - what's the point in paying for crappy education, i say you should enjoy you childhood, and play sports. I'll probably get a lot of hate for this post but hey that's my opinion on the matter!
Ok not all private schools are like that....
ClickItBack
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I guess it also depends on the person. For some girls, an all girls environment is perfect for them, for others, such as yourself, it's not. It also depends on the community you're around. The girls at my school are the nicest, most down to earth people I've ever met (well, most of them). I probably got lucky in a way but I think with the same girls and the same number of boys added to that, however nice they might have been, it would have hindered my education. But then again certain people do well in different educational environments and single-sex schools really help those who need them.
Unfortunately, you don't have a counterfactual to act as evidence to support your hypothesis (i.e.: you never went to a mixed school, so you have no idea what the effect on your life/education would have been).

Also, you're extrapolating your personal anecdotal evidence to that of a majority of girls.
king0vdarkness
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ClickItBack)
Unfortunately, you don't have a counterfactual to act as evidence to support your hypothesis (i.e.: you never went to a mixed school, so you have no idea what the effect on your life/education would have been).

Also, you're extrapolating your personal anecdotal evidence to that of a majority of girls.
Well my junior private school was mixed but yeah the senior school wasn't - maybe that's why it sucked?!
isaaccharles
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by yl95)
'More better'?...Oh.
Harrow isn't particularly noted for its academic strength, I must add. :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
You do understand that is extremely rude and an appalling statement to make. Everyone has different abilities; you are arrogant to make a proclamation like that particularly towards someone you do not even know.
Catherine97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hanvyj)
I don't think single sex schools should be allowed, just like I don't think 'black only' or 'white only' schools should be allowed. That' seems, to me, a perfectly reasonable equality to have government regulation for.
I understand what you are saying but I can't really explain how much I disagree and this is coming from someone who was dead against the idea of a girls school. Since being at a single sex school I can say I have grown hugely in confidence being surrounded only by girls meaning that now when I go to parties I feel more confident. It doesnt read well (what I just said) but what I'm trying to say is that because there are no boys there is none of the trying to impress boys and so it is easier to express yourself honestly and go to school no make up not worry about how you look and what you are like etc. I think preferably I would be at a mixed school for sixth form but I would not change going to a single sex school
Catherine97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ClickItBack)

I think it is important to say that if you are going to be quite so patronising and so sure that you are right and only people who agree with you are right then the all important question is:

Have you been to both a single sex and mixed school, I'm sure the answer is yes by your overly pretentious approach. So my conclusion to that is that you are one person and cannot possibly make conclusions for everyone else. Different settings suit different people, you cannot try and claim that everyone is better at a mixed school.
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You do understand that is extremely rude and an appalling statement to make. Everyone has different abilities; you are arrogant to make a proclamation like that particularly towards someone you do not even know.
It's just a disappointment to see that someone whose parents pay so much for an education has pretty crappy grammar. I do like how you use the word 'proclamation' when it could easily be substituted for another simple word...but I'll delete it. Wasn't in a great mood. Sorry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.49%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.85%
Terrified (381)
22.23%
Meh (169)
9.86%
Confused (37)
2.16%