why do people hate private schools? Watch

Neverspark7776
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cuckoo99)
Hate posh ***** who think they are better than everyone else.
...which account for about 0.5% of the private school population. Call me a posh ***** if you want but half the year below me in my private school are verging on roadmen and the others are following nicely along towards chav status, and we think that at least a couple are on drugs but haven't been found out and kicked out
jasmine_GCSE
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by isaaccharles)
I have come across several people on TSR who constantly hate private schools and claim that privately educated people don't work hard for A*s. But why all the hate?
I myself go to a private school and can vouch for the fact that students work incredibly hard to achieve their grades. I have attended a state school as well for the majority of my education, so I believe I have a unique insight into this matter. In terms of those people who do not have to 'work hard' for A*s, they are few and far between but they do exist, but these people exist in most schools, not just private schools. On the most part, people in private schools are under a lot of pressure to do well which definitely drives their motivation, which in many cases amounts to better grades. At the end of the day, state or private school, there is no way around external exams. (The myth that private schools do easier exam boards is just that, a myth. In my case, the private school I moved to chose harder exam boards in order to prepare students for university as best as they could.)
username4038334
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anagogic)
The problem is no one has any say of how/where they are born.

Why should someone be given a head start just based upon luck, while people may say if you can't afford a private education you shouldn't have kids (which is ludacris) the child has still had no say in the matter.

Education is heavily influenced by wealth, Education should be an equaliser where those who work hard and have the aptitude are rewarded.

I've seen many examples where people have been failing in state schools and have gone to private schools and got nothing below a B, the impact it has is pretty insane.

That's not to say that you can't do well at a state school, this is in the general sense where when children are given poor direction and help they are unlikely to apply themselves.
All over the world there are children who never even go to school or have access to an education. So would it be right in saying we must ‘equalise’ education and take it away from everybody?
MaskOfKeaton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People hate private schools because we live in a society where making it to the top is more about life chances than intelligence, and obviously people who go to these schools have significantly better life chances than everyone else. Children can't help parental income, and obviously there are thick rich kids and clever poor kids. Thick rich kids are more likely to get into Oxbridge than clever poor kids, because they have better life chances and are provided with exclusive opportunities and advice. This goes largely unchallenged, and it's almost as though we're led to believe rich people are just smarter and better than the rest of us. It doesn't take a genius to work out why these schools might cause some resentment.
Ashelrunescape
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Private schools really aren't all that. I know a guy who went to private secondary school and I didn't and I still got better grades in GCSE's
Private schools aint **** tbh
DoNotMove
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think that private school does give you an advantage - smaller class sizes and better teachers (generally) will lead to better grades. However, if you aren't very good or don't work hard then you won't actually get anywhere. You don't get spoonfed your grades, but at the same time the education is better.

However, many people do not take advantage of this, and waste their time.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ashelrunescape)
I know a guy who went to private secondary school and I didn't and I still got better grades in GCSE's
It is not just about exam results. Private schools & Selective state schools enable children to mix with others whose families are committed to the transmission of civilized values, and who value hard work and sacrifice.
gretelhouseg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have come across several people on TSR who constantly hate private schools and claim that privately educated people don't work hard for A*s. But why all the hate?
i guess bc ppl don’t like the elitism that comes along with it and the fact that a hierarchy btwn private/state schools means unequal distribution of resources/opportunities but i suppose that’s not the fault of the students that attend private schools but rather class inequality lol
Aribe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't think students are the problem. Most of them are fairly nice(except the ones who think they're better than me because m o n e y )
The whole concept of private schools means that kids who have rich parents who can afford to send them there and thus get a better education.This means that our leaders are privately educated and so are many other influential people.This means that there isn't much diversity when it comes to backgrounds in institutions since most were well educated due to their more affluent background. This is usually upper and upper middle class; the same people who usually make up Parliament, business boards and law firms. So the problem isn't so much the student's attitudes but wider systemic issues. Grammar school students also get a similar far due to not so much the students(who can be stereotyped as pricks but in actuality aren't) but have wider issues surrounding them which can create dislike or even hate.
Last edited by Aribe; 2 months ago
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not saying all are like that but I've met lots of cocky people who thought they were the next hot sh*t or geniuses just because they go to a private school (-_- )
Aribe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yh no doubt they exist ugh
(Original post by Hiro2468)
Not saying all are like that but I've met lots of cocky people who thought they were the next hot sh*t or geniuses just because they go to a private school (-_- )
Vishalsharma1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think a private school is too expensive. There is no rules and regulation. Students are not focusing on study. They just spend their time in school with friends. Private schools always doing unusual activities and demanding money from parents that's why people hate them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
13.74%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (75)
15.86%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
19.87%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (188)
39.75%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.44%
No particular grades needed (30)
6.34%