Sy1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey,
Okay so didn't so really good at GCSE and ended up doing btec business and alevel ict. In these subjects I did okay
Btec business I got distinction star
AS ict I got a B.

Now I will most likely be studying business economics at uni of westminster. What I was wondering if I do really well I mean give it my best and get the best degree I can. What would be the highest uni I can probably do a masters in (economics). Really well as in 2:1.

Also how do people fund masters and what is the average price
Thanks
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sy1996)
Hey,
Okay so didn't so really good at GCSE and ended up doing btec business and alevel ict. In these subjects I did okay
AS ict I got a B.

Now I will most likely be studying business economics at uni of westminster. What I was wondering if I do really well I mean give it my best and get the best degree I can. What would be the highest uni I can probably do a masters in (economics). Really well as in 2:1.

Thanks
So I've no idea about Oxbridge but outside of that you could pretty much go to any Uni to do economics. Especially if you get a first. For masters they don't seem very concerned about what university you have done your undergraduate at.

As for funding you can either pay out your own pocket or get a loan. Economics masters seem to cost between £8000 and £20000.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With your current qualifications its unlikely that any University will accept you for a degree since you don't have any completed A levels. Westminster is not an 'academic' University and its degrees are not viewed as particularly rigorous.
EcstaZEEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,
AS ict I got a B.

Thanks
Hi, I know someone who applied to Oxford for MSc Economics, LSE for an MA Economics and to King's for MA Political Economy. She had a 2:1 from Durham, She said that she was rejected from Oxford but had an offer from LSE and King's, obviously the competition was tough. Though, this shows that you can get to places with a 2:1, you can also get funding - just try to target an RG since they practically get funding for postgrad.

A 2:1 is a really good degree, and practically, all of those universities wanted 2:1, she said that just try to do a work placement throughout your degree and try to make your CV as vibrant as possible, when you apply for postgrad and for funding. She got funded for the whole MA in LSE...

Good luck

Edit: I agree with the poster above me, I am not an elitist when it comes to universities, since a degree is a degree. Although Westminster is really not an academic degree and you're planning to go into an academic path.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
With your current qualifications its unlikely that any University will accept you for a degree since you don't have any completed A levels. Westminster is not an 'academic' University and its degrees are not viewed as particularly rigorous.
Is Westminster really that much worse than places like Derby and UWE??? Because I know people from those unison who had absolutely no trouble getting onto Masters at RG unis.
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Westminster and Oxford Bro are possibly the highest ranked ex poly around 50th. Some subjects are well regarded. For business subjects, Westminster would offer more opps in course content, exchanges than Derby or UWE.

I think it is relative when people say it is not academic. This would be the case compared to research heavy unis such as LSE, Oxbridge, UCL. A transition to the top5 would be challenging with a 2.1 from Westminster as top5 MSc Econ receive plenty applications with first class , RG unis or international unis. But it is certainly doable to get into a Top 20 MSc at RG unis with a Westminster 2.1.
THEnoggaHUNTER
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,
AS ict I got a B.

Thanks
London met/ southbank:confused:
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tcannon)
But it is certainly doable to get into a Top 20 MSc at RG unis with a Westminster 2.1.
Agreed. I did my Masters at an RG (which is regularly in the top 5 in the UK for my subject), from a former poly.

Get the best undergrad result you can, and try to cultivate a couple of members of staff who you think might write you good academic references.
Sy1996
Rep:
?
Okay so would there be a chance to go to
UCL
LSE
Warwick
If not these then
Queen Mary
Exeter
Nottingham

Also if someone gets a first class would this make a significant difference.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay so would there be a chance to go to
UCL
LSE
Warwick
If not these then
Queen Mary
Exeter
Nottingham

Also if someone gets a first class would this make a significant difference.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say not LSE but I don't know why anyone would want to go there anyway given the fees are 20 grand.

Queen Mary Exeter and Nottingham are definitely doable. As are places like Birmingham and Leeds.
Sy1996
Rep:
?
Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (15)
22.73%
I'm not sure (2)
3.03%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (18)
27.27%
I have already dropped out (3)
4.55%
I'm not a current university student (28)
42.42%

Watched Threads