HurdlesToJump
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I want to become a primary teacher and I am just looking at degrees to do and wondering what is best. Do we have to have a specific subject or can it be any kind of degree?

I am currently swaying towards BA in Early Years or BA in Childhood and Youth Studies.

Just after some advice. What degrees do you have? xx
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Look for degrees called "Primary Education with QTS". These are usually three years, have placements every year, and don't need to be followed by a PGCE
Sherlock the cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can either do it as a primary teaching course with QTS, 3 years in England and 4 in Scotland as the person above said, but if you want to be more subject specific you can do a degree in pretty much anything you like and then do a one year PGCE, so you could do the child and youth studies course or the early years one and then do the one year postgraduate course to qualify you as a teacher
HurdlesToJump
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
Look for degrees called "Primary Education with QTS". These are usually three years, have placements every year, and don't need to be followed by a PGCE
Thanks Skip_Snip, Sorry I should of said that I will need to do the degree with OU because I need to be home with my two children atm as I haven't got enough for childcare costs etc Plus I also need to be earning. But once they are older I can go for the PGCE. Xx
HurdlesToJump
Rep:
?
I've just looked and it would seem no where near me does "Primary Education with QTS" :/ I would need to do it near home because of my children.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HurdlesToJump)
I've just looked and it would seem no where near me does "Primary Education with QTS" :/ I would need to do it near home because of my children.
Wherebouts do you live?
HurdlesToJump
Rep:
?
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
Wherebouts do you live?
Suffolk, UCS is my closest. x
suziesunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I have a 1 year old and I'm about to start a full time PGCE and have got a non-repayable childcare grant to cover childcare costs while doing my course from student finance. It's a bit like the childcare element of WTC but is 85% of costs rather than 75% and they'll fund up to 2 children. If you're serious about becoming a teacher, I'd definitely seek advice from CAB on what you'd be entitled to finance wise to help inform your decision. Teacher Training is one of the only postgraduate courses that student finance currently fund.

I did my degree in English but it would be quicker to do a Primary Education with QTS degree as a previous poster mentioned. If the Primary Ed route is not right for you, I'd do a degree you enjoy and that you'll get the most from as you'll need to do a PGCE after it to qualify as a teacher anyway. Just check you have the right qualifications (Maths, English and Science GCSE or eqiv) to be eligible to study a PGCE too as some people get caught out with that later down the line x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads