The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Spanish SN2 - June 3rd 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dougieowner
I'm doing this as AS for the first time :smile:

The translations were a bit irritating - I know that I'll have got maybe parts of sentences correct but because I didn't know one word, I'll have lost marks because of that. They were also fairly long translations (I also do French, and in the French paper the translations were short, to the point and the vocab needed also seemed to be easier...)

I think some of the gap fill this time required you to actually read the article (even though it's always helpful to do so anyway, on some of the papers in the past it was possible work everything out from grammar alone.) So I guess it was maybe more challenging as you needed to understand things? However I think I maybe did better than the mock exam (the exam you would have sat last year) just because I've practised a lot more since then, but I can see what you mean.

Would you say that this year's paper was harder overall?

Personally, I thought the paper was one of the nicest ones considering the previous exams. I noticed that all the reading extracts were all about studies and surveys. The listening was alright, most of my answers were false and it irked me how they tried to trick people out on a lot of questions. The listening gap-fill was straightforward as always.

The reading was nicer than expected. The written questions were nice too, considering they are usually horrible. But it's not worth much anyway.

Gap-fill was good. The first part took a while to process everything, and there were some easy gaps to fill while the others were rather difficult. I had to concentrate to notice which gap needed eligió and senalaron. It took me a while to understand what incertidumbre (uncertainty) meant.

The second part of the gap fill was great, it tested the only bits of grammar I can do thankfully. :wink:

Translations, I found them very nice considering previous translations. I do French too and I took FN2 last year, which had much smaller translations but more idioms in them. The stumbling block for me was question 3) (I think) on branded clothing. I could barely understood what it meant let alone translate it.

Essay titles were predictable, since they're the same topics every year. I was tempted to go with healthy living, but after reading the examiner's reports I chose domestic violence vs discrimination and lack of opportunities. It went pretty well, but didn't write much about opportunities and more on discrimination. I spent 40 minutes planning that essay and 20 minutes writing it, oops!

Overall, I think I've done alright but I cannot be certain till results day. Besides, don't worry if you lose marks since the A-C boundary is very low down on the mark scale. So it doesn't hurt even if you lose around 20-25 you're in a good B grade range. My oral sucked so I'm hoping this will pick it up slightly.
Original post by serebro
Personally, I thought the paper was one of the nicest ones considering the previous exams. I noticed that all the reading extracts were all about studies and surveys. The listening was alright, most of my answers were false and it irked me how they tried to trick people out on a lot of questions. The listening gap-fill was straightforward as always.

The reading was nicer than expected. The written questions were nice too, considering they are usually horrible. But it's not worth much anyway.

Gap-fill was good. The first part took a while to process everything, and there were some easy gaps to fill while the others were rather difficult. I had to concentrate to notice which gap needed eligió and senalaron. It took me a while to understand what incertidumbre (uncertainty) meant.

The second part of the gap fill was great, it tested the only bits of grammar I can do thankfully. :wink:

Translations, I found them very nice considering previous translations. I do French too and I took FN2 last year, which had much smaller translations but more idioms in them. The stumbling block for me was question 3) (I think) on branded clothing. I could barely understood what it meant let alone translate it.

Essay titles were predictable, since they're the same topics every year. I was tempted to go with healthy living, but after reading the examiner's reports I chose domestic violence vs discrimination and lack of opportunities. It went pretty well, but didn't write much about opportunities and more on discrimination. I spent 40 minutes planning that essay and 20 minutes writing it, oops!

Overall, I think I've done alright but I cannot be certain till results day. Besides, don't worry if you lose marks since the A-C boundary is very low down on the mark scale. So it doesn't hurt even if you lose around 20-25 you're in a good B grade range. My oral sucked so I'm hoping this will pick it up slightly.

I think the reading comprehension question was definitely easier than before (3b I think?) and I managed to understand the answers that they were looking for.

The gap fill seemed ok - I felt quite confident about it after finishing and read through it and seemed to make sense. Hopefully I did well.

I went with the exercise one - hopefully it's ok. I know domestic violence sounds more intelligent but I'm not as confident on it and we didn't do a great deal of things about it in class, so I wanted to go with something I knew I could answer. I think I got a good range of vocab, structures and tenses and I think I was fairly accurate with my grammar. I'm just hoping that the quality of response mark that I get will be fine.

I tried to do a pessimistic score and I think I've got 76 + so hopefully that'll be an A. I can't really tell how I did with my speaking (I felt like it was ok but it's hard to tell), but hopefully everything will average out to an A. That's what I'm hoping for :smile:
Has anyone got an unofficial mark scheme or predicted answers for the grammar/15 mark gap fills?
Reply 23
Original post by shu003
And the fact they keep trying to catch you out on this one! :angry:

Preach!
Reply 24
Original post by mathsfreak8162
Has anyone got an unofficial mark scheme or predicted answers for the grammar/15 mark gap fills?

it's a bit late now, but TES has some mini excersizes with the markschemes if you search wjec sn2 spanish as
Reply 25
Yeah anyone got an unofficial mark scheme? I really want to know how I did in the filling gaps!
Original post by chazhunt
Yeah anyone got an unofficial mark scheme? I really want to know how I did in the filling gaps!

Can you remember some of the questions and what you put we could try and see if we got the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by serebro

Hey, regarding the first question, which parts did you state as true?
Original post by Bissy
Hey, regarding the first question, which parts did you state as true?

I cannot remember the questions that well now. I think I only ticked 3 boxes as true. I ticked the one about less than 40% as true (since it said 38%). I don't remember the others. I ticked the one about protein as false (and put fibra/fibre) and the water one, which they recommended. And the kilos one was 3 to 5 instead of 4 to 6.
Reply 29
Original post by serebro
I cannot remember the questions that well now. I think I only ticked 3 boxes as true. I ticked the one about less than 40% as true (since it said 38%). I don't remember the others. I ticked the one about protein as false (and put fibra/fibre) and the water one, which they recommended. And the kilos one was 3 to 5 instead of 4 to 6.

yeah I got more or less the same.
For some of the filling gaps i remember some answers that I put like:
Mucha la una vez (something like that)
llegan
correctas
todos los problemas (something along those lines)
but the main filling gaps were really difficult:
-I couldn't do the first gap so i think I put something like antes?
-I put the boys wanted to be "futbolistas" and the girls "cantantes"
-I think the second one was "tuvieron en" and I put "cuenta" as in "to bear in mind
-"el fisico" something to do with their idols looks?
that's all i can remember at the moment.
I know I put the first gap as ante , then cuenta , amor and incerticumbre , tuvierion

Then the boys wanted to be footballers and girls singers

"falta" where it said about the support from parents

"eligio" for where it mentioned 1%

And the last one as atraida

Thats all I remember!
Original post by serebro

There was only 1 correct one, the first one, according to my spanish teacher, which is what I put, the rest had minor changes to make them false.
If my oral exam went super super well what would the necessary grade be in the written paper to get an A overall??
I don't feel as though the written went well at all but I know I did extremely well in my oral
Original post by chazhunt
yeah I got more or less the same.
For some of the filling gaps i remember some answers that I put like:
Mucha la una vez (something like that)
llegan
correctas
todos los problemas (something along those lines)
but the main filling gaps were really difficult:
-I couldn't do the first gap so i think I put something like antes?
-I put the boys wanted to be "futbolistas" and the girls "cantantes"
-I think the second one was "tuvieron en" and I put "cuenta" as in "to bear in mind
-"el fisico" something to do with their idols looks?
that's all i can remember at the moment.

I mostly put the same for the listening gap fill too. Think I chose mucho tiempo for the first gap though, I was unsure on that one and only chose mucho tiempo purely because I've only seen that used instead of the others. Probably wrong there though.

It was ante, not 'antes de (verb)'. This threw me off but I put in the first gap too. Which is similar to 'enfrente'. I then chose amor as one of their 'preocupaciones'. When they were referring to idols, I put señalaron and eligió for 'poco' one. I did the same with futbolistas and cantantes. With fisico, it was about how their idols appeal to them. I put incertidumbre in somewhere around the start, since they were uncertain about their future or something like that.
Original post by nutellaqe
If my oral exam went super super well what would the necessary grade be in the written paper to get an A overall??
I don't feel as though the written went well at all but I know I did extremely well in my oral

You'd probably need an A in SN2 to get an A overall. It's worth 60% so it has a bigger impact than the oral. However, if your oral got near top marks, you could probably get a high B and come out with an A. :smile:
I think I put similar answers as you all for the gap fills! As long as I put the verbs in the correct places for the 15 mark question, I should have hopefully got good marks on that one. For the 10 mark grammar question (Question 4) I'm uncertain about one or two of my answers, but I found most of them fairly straight forward - it tends to be similar things every year.

Original post by anorris13
There was only 1 correct one, the first one, according to my spanish teacher, which is what I put, the rest had minor changes to make them false.

That's good to know! I thought the others had minor changes so now I feel more confident about putting so many as false :smile: I think they like using so many false statements so that people can't just tick "true" and get a mark even if they don't understand what's being said.
Original post by serebro
You'd probably need an A in SN2 to get an A overall. It's worth 60% so it has a bigger impact than the oral. However, if your oral got near top marks, you could probably get a high B and come out with an A. :smile:

Thank you :smile: I feel much better. Grrr exams are so stressful aren't they?! The wait for results is always the worst!!
Have the paper if anyone needs it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous#2013
Have the paper if anyone needs it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's be really useful!! How?
Just got a spare one from my teacher! I'll PM it to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest