The Student Room Group

Who here has caught the iron bug, im not talking bull**** bodybuilding....

Im 26 now, ive been bitten since I was 18 years old. Still going good, treating a torn bicep at the moment but will be back shortly.

[video="youtube;TqbO4ZcvOSc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqbO4ZcvOSc[/video]

An inspiration.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
never missed a workout CREW
Call it weight lifting

anything else makes me cringe
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yo radical one
Call it weightlifting

Weight lifting is a different sport entirely to the powerlifting in the OP
Original post by Angry cucumber
Weight lifting is a different sport entirely to the powerlifting in the OP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weightlifting

I think not

It's more "Iron bug", "Going to the iron temple", "liftan", "Peppering the angus"

which grates the hell outta me :angry:
Reply 5
Weightlifting is a different sport, forget what wikipedia says.

By iron bug I mean those who have got into strength sports and now matter what has happened, cannot get away from it. Nothing cringe about it.
Original post by yo radical one
Call it weightlifting

Weightlifting competed lifts: Snatch, Clean and Jerk

Powerlifting competed lifts: Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift.

They're completely different sports.
I think you guys all missed the technicality in the wiki page.

Weightlifting is the Olympic sport featuring snatches and clean and jerks.
Weight lifting refers to the general act of lifting weights (obviously).

They really should have picked a slightly less ambiguous name for the sport. Its not at all fair to get pissy at people who call lifting weights, "weight lifting" like a lot of newer unaware people do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I do my compound lifts then chuck in some cock push ups. Gives my boner a biceps.
It's kinda strange that after calling it "bull**** bodybuilding" you picked the video of a powerlifter who is quite keen on bodybuilding
Reply 10
Original post by e aí rapaz
It's kinda strange that after calling it "bull**** bodybuilding" you picked the video of a powerlifter who is quite keen on bodybuilding

they all do bodybuilding movements actually, just the dan green has a more bodybuilder physique on competition

his deltoids are insane

http://www.jtsstrength.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/64053_467045983332421_1322805638_n.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doob
they all do bodybuilding movements actually, just the dan green has a more bodybuilder physique on competition

his deltoids are insane

http://www.jtsstrength.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/64053_467045983332421_1322805638_n.jpg

Those "juicy" delts.

And I don't really know how you can say ALL powerlifters do bodybuilding movements, tbh :confused:
Reply 12
Those "juicy" delts.

And I don't really know how you can say ALL powerlifters do bodybuilding movements, tbh :confused:

they all do them, as accessorie exercises after their main lifts, whether it be side raises, hammer curls etc those are all bodybuilding movements, you do realise professional bodybuilders arnold and franco were respectable powerlifters? powerlifting and bodybuilding used to be 2 sides of the same coin. ronnie coleman was also a competitive powerlifter...
Original post by Doob
they all do them, as accessorie exercises after their main lifts, whether it be side raises, hammer curls etc those are all bodybuilding movements, you do realise professional bodybuilders arnold and franco were respectable powerlifters? powerlifting and bodybuilding used to be 2 sides of the same coin. ronnie coleman was also a competitive powerlifter...

Yes, I'm aware that many bodybuilders perform compound lifts and many powerlifters perform accessory lifts. That's not the same as saying a powerlifter does bodybuilding movements, and certainly not the same as saying ALL powerlifters do bodybuilding movements.

If we assume that what makes something a bodybuilding movement rather than strength-accessory movement is the set/rep range, then I'm sure there are many powerlifters who never perform bodybuilding movements.

I just said the word movement way too many times.

Anyway my point is that Dan Green deliberately trains to look good as well as to be a strong powerlifter. And there are sure as hell a lot of very strong lifters who do not.
bodybuilding and powerlifting tie in together. Bodybuilders should include heavy compound lifts in their routine, and powerlifters should include isolating movements to ensure weaknesses are addressed.
Reply 15
Yes, I'm aware that many bodybuilders perform compound lifts and many powerlifters perform accessory lifts. That's not the same as saying a powerlifter does bodybuilding movements, and certainly not the same as saying ALL powerlifters do bodybuilding movements.

If we assume that what makes something a bodybuilding movement rather than strength-accessory movement is the set/rep range, then I'm sure there are many powerlifters who never perform bodybuilding movements.

I just said the word movement way too many times.

Anyway my point is that Dan Green deliberately trains to look good as well as to be a strong powerlifter. And there are sure as hell a lot of very strong lifters who do not.

Powerlifting involves the big 3 as im sure you know. Of course, Dan has a physique that is a lot more aesthetic and proportional than other powerlifters.

With regards to what is in bold, no. Powerlifters train in lower rep ranges because they trigger neurological adaptations, rather than more metabollic fatigue. A bodybuilding movement can be done in any rep range, although its just stupid to do 1 rep maxes on side raises. Bodybuilding movements are isolation exercises (mainly). The powerlifting movements are big compound exercises, that is the only difference really. As you use your legs, back and torso in all the big 3 lifts, you dont get to use all these major muscle groups in bodybuilding movements.
Original post by Doob
Powerlifting involves the big 3 as im sure you know. Of course, Dan has a physique that is a lot more aesthetic and proportional than other powerlifters.

With regards to what is in bold, no. Powerlifters train in lower rep ranges because they trigger neurological adaptations, rather than more metabollic fatigue. A bodybuilding movement can be done in any rep range, although its just stupid to do 1 rep maxes on side raises. Bodybuilding movements are isolation exercises (mainly). The powerlifting movements are big compound exercises, that is the only difference really. As you use your legs, back and torso in all the big 3 lifts, you dont get to use all these major muscle groups in bodybuilding movements.

My point is that bodybuilders perform isolation lifts in high rep ranges to induce optimal hypertrophy.

MOST powerlifters do not. They may perform isolation lifts to address weaknesses but their goal is not hypertrophy specific.

aka, most powerlifters do not aim to bodybuild, Dan Green does though, OP said bodybuilding is bull****, then posted a video of Dan Green, who does some bodybuilding.

I don't think it warrants any more discussion to be honest.
Reply 17
My point is that bodybuilders perform isolation lifts in high rep ranges to induce optimal hypertrophy.

MOST powerlifters do not. They may perform isolation lifts to address weaknesses but their goal is not hypertrophy specific.

aka, most powerlifters do not aim to bodybuild, Dan Green does though, OP said bodybuilding is bull****, then posted a video of Dan Green, who does some bodybuilding.

I don't think it warrants any more discussion to be honest.

There have been scientific studies that show that there was no difference in hypertrophy between individuals who used higher rep ranges, and those who used lower rep ranges. The only difference was that those who trained in the higher rep ranges had more muscular endurance, whereas those who trained in the lower rep ranges had more strength gains. You CANT train purely for hypertrophy, its only a by-product of progressive overload.
Original post by Doob
There have been scientific studies that show that there was no difference in hypertrophy between individuals who used higher rep ranges, and those who used lower rep ranges. The only difference was that those who trained in the higher rep ranges had more muscular endurance, whereas those who trained in the lower rep ranges had more strength gains. You CANT train purely for hypertrophy, its only a by-product of progressive overload.

ok
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest