Pissing off the new DoS... Watch

Mr. Jim
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
just got a phone call this morning from the DoS at caius asking about my module options for french and spanish next year. he said he'd sent an email to me but he'd used my old email address and blah blah blah annnnnyway the thing is he was like "well basically you have to choose between literature and linguistics" and i was all ready to tell him linguistics right then and there but then he added on "i, personally, unless you're reeaally in love with the linguistics module, would recommend doing literature just because that means you'd see me once a week for the first year..."

but i don't want to do literature! that's like the point of me putting cambs as 1st... but i don't really fancy pissing him off before even going down to cambridge.

mebbies i'll just have to construct a really good email in reply to him on friday once i know whether i'm in or not and am no longer drunk.

thoughts anyone?
Dharini1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
prob best not to reply when ur drunk- mite say something u would regret! lol!

Like u said, write a very nice email saying that u would like to do linguistics, and although you would not be able to see him once a week it would allow u to develop ur interests further .....

hope this helped!
Gael
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i think maybe he was just trying to joke widcha?
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Jim)
just got a phone call this morning from the DoS at caius asking about my module options for french and spanish next year. he said he'd sent an email to me but he'd used my old email address and blah blah blah annnnnyway the thing is he was like "well basically you have to choose between literature and linguistics" and i was all ready to tell him linguistics right then and there but then he added on "i, personally, unless you're reeaally in love with the linguistics module, would recommend doing literature just because that means you'd see me once a week for the first year..."

but i don't want to do literature! that's like the point of me putting cambs as 1st... but i don't really fancy pissing him off before even going down to cambridge.

mebbies i'll just have to construct a really good email in reply to him on friday once i know whether i'm in or not and am no longer drunk.

thoughts anyone?
Is the answer not obvious?
What do you seriously think hes going to do if you take the other option?
He said he recommends doing literature not do it or I'm going to cry in the corner
Hes a professor, he wants you to be as little trouble to him as possible, and hes not going towant to supervise you and be your DoS if you are going to do much better in the other paper, take whatever option you want.

but seriously what did you think he will do if you choose lingustics?
ignacius
Report 12 years ago
well for me personally, so long as i get the grades tomorrow, am going to go for literature in the first year, even though i'm really interested in linguistics. i'm more interested in linguistics in the long term but i think doing literature will help me learn the language better so i can take the linguistics module the next year and have a greater understanding.

but then i really like literature anyway... it's a hard one i think if you've really got an aversion to literature, although if you're already pleased with your language level then it won't really matter will it?
Mr. Jim
Rep:
?
thanks for the thoughts people. and might i suggest camSPSer pack it in jumping down peoples' throats? all i want to do is not start offending the professors before i'm even there.
Jan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do linguistics.
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sorry if it seems that way but your obviously intelligent if your going to cambridge. And you should easily be able to realise that although they give you some advice and encouragement to do certain modules they want you to enjoy your time here and the best way to do that is by doing the modules you want to do.
My DoS is a sociologist and 6 of the 7 SPSers have chosen Politics and althoug hshe would ahve liked more people to do Sociology and recommended it (it is an overlooked option IMHO) wasn't going to throw a fit when people chose other options
Richy Rich$$
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't worry about it. Basically most colleges try their utmost to steer 1st year linguists to do the lit option, mainly because it's easier to organise- more lit supervisors than linguistics ones. But just stand firm, and say you really want to do linguistics and EVENTUALLY they will give in. After all, it is a valid option open to all first years. Plus I know first year linguistics at caius who have done linguistics, so it's certainly possible.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thanks for the thoughts people. and might i suggest camSPSer pack it in jumping down peoples' throats? all i want to do is not start offending the professors before i'm even there.
You're not going to offend someone by not doing their course, unless you say "I don't want to take your course because it sucks and you smell too bad for me to want you to supervise me." He's not going to hate you, and even if he did, if he's not teaching you, what would it matter?
Niccolo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
You're not going to offend someone by not doing their course, unless you say "I don't want to take your course because it sucks and you smell too bad for me to want you to supervise me." He's not going to hate you, and even if he did, if he's not teaching you, what would it matter?
Not to piss on anyones parade here (to the OP, I agree with the people saying do whatever you feel like) but in response to 'what would it matter?' if the DOS hates you: Well, i suppose he could write a **** refererence when you are applying for legal training contracts/vacations placements/internships/grad jobs etc. The reference is arguably the most important part other than getting a 2.1. So best to stay on his/her good side. But doing an option other than the one they recommend certainly wont result in them writing 'this man/woman is a lazy ********' on your uni reference. so no te preocupes.
naelse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think you have to forget that your DoS was the person who interviewed you/had the final say on whether you got in, cos from now on they are there purely to facilitate your academic aims. You can do whichever paper you like, he probably just thinks that it would be simpler for him/more comforting for you if you were to take his paper. Either way, he'd have to be a particularly crap DoS to be offended at your paper choice.
Jan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
btw, have you ever thought about the fact that he might be reading this?
Mr. Jim
Rep:
?
oh.....bugger....
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Niccolo)
Not to piss on anyones parade here (to the OP, I agree with the people saying do whatever you feel like) but in response to 'what would it matter?' if the DOS hates you: Well, i suppose he could write a **** refererence when you are applying for legal training contracts/vacations placements/internships/grad jobs etc. The reference is arguably the most important part other than getting a 2.1. So best to stay on his/her good side. But doing an option other than the one they recommend certainly wont result in them writing 'this man/woman is a lazy ********' on your uni reference. so no te preocupes.
These days though theres no such thing as a confidential reference, you can apply to read whatever they wrote about you and if its wrong then you can sue, a risk the university is not going to want to take. (Cambrdige don writes poor reference for former state school student from north the tbaloids will scream) and its in everyoines interest that people get good jobs after they leave
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh.....bugger....
Again, without wanting to sound rude, why would he care if he read this thread?
Jan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
These days though theres no such thing as a confidential reference, you can apply to read whatever they wrote about you and if its wrong then you can sue, a risk the university is not going to want to take. (Cambrdige don writes poor reference for former state school student from north the tbaloids will scream) and its in everyoines interest that people get good jobs after they leave
yep, but there's a difference between 'good' and 'exceptional' reference.
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At Cambridge there are some weird and wonderful people who are very very bright. However genius status does tend to make people do some odd and antisocial stuff. I'd imagine most Director of Studies will be able to see past this and write a reference that you deserve.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by naelse)
I think you have to forget that your DoS was the person who interviewed you/had the final say on whether you got in, cos from now on they are there purely to facilitate your academic aims. You can do whichever paper you like, he probably just thinks that it would be simpler for him/more comforting for you if you were to take his paper. Either way, he'd have to be a particularly crap DoS to be offended at your paper choice.
:ditto: Selena said it much better than I managed.

I was writing this about 5 hours ago but we had a powercut and then I had to go with my sister to school to get her results.

Your DoS really isn't that scary - they've let you in and they want to keep you here. They're not so facetious (is that the word?) to decide they don't like you just because of one paper you pick. They want you to do well and enjoy your course (thus, of course, making you more likely to do better ) and they are human beings really!
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have to learn to take your DoS by the horns and just get on with what you want to do. If you don't learn ealry you'll be left with no real autonomy over your course. Its good training for handpicking your supervisors in later years.

Justin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.41%
No (376)
72.59%

Watched Threads