English language practice question AQA Watch

ihatehistoryy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, i have my english language exam next week and i was wondering if somebody would be able to mark this and let me know what mark you'd think i'd get? This is the insert (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...-INS-NOV13.PDF) and the question paper (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...H-QP-NOV13.PDF) and the mark scheme (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...H-MS-NOV13.PDF)
I did question 1.

What do you understand from the article about the issues of children and the outdoors? (8 marks)

From the article I understand that 'children are out of touch with nature'; this shows that they don't really go out anymore to see nature and there is something stopping them from going out. It implies that being 'out of touch with nature' is actually bad for them.
We later learn that children need 'freedom from health and safety', this shows that the health and safety rules and regulations are much to strict these days and they are stopping children from doing what they are supposed to be doing as a major part of their childhood - going outdoors.it implies that the children are trapped inside because of the strict health and safety rules and that they need to rescued from this imprisonment.
Another thing we learn from this article is that 'the creep of urban sprawl has destroyed many places where children could once play safely', this shows that the modern world of busy cities and lots of heavy traffic and gangs of teenagers have avpctually made the world un-safe for children to go out and play, therefore they're cooped up indoors because their parents are under the impression that it is too dangerous for their children to go out and play.
Another thing we learn is that 'keeping children indoors gives them weaker immune systems'. This shows that children are going to be catching diseases much more easily and frequently than when all of the health and safety rules weren't introduced and children we still able to play with their friends outdoors. It implies that the rules are becoming ridiculous and they are actually having a bad effect on children whereas they were first intoduced to improve lives.
ihatehistoryy
Rep:
?
Okay i will try and do that! So do I not need to bother writing an explanation? for example would I just say "From the article I understand that 'children are out of touch with nature' and being 'out of touch with nature' is actually bad for them." and then I would do the same for my other points. Thank you for your help
ihatehistoryy
Rep:
?
I've looked at your other post and it was really helpful thank you :-) It would really help if you could try and re-write my answer to make it full marks?
Ben4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ihatehistoryy)
I've looked at your other post and it was really helpful thank you :-)* It would really help if you could try and re-write my answer to make it full marks?
I did my mock exam and this question was in the exam, i was awarded 8 marks and i wrote this:

From the start of the article we understand that children are moreoften spending time indoors rather than outdoors. The article says that children should be taught "with a block of time spent in the outdoors every week" this suggests that the children nowadays are more comfortable with being inside, as that is where they are mainly taught.

Also I understand that one issue with children to be outside is that their parents are overly protective. As parents are "obsessed with their children's safety" this implies that parents are restraining children from having fun outdoors as they are scared for them.

Later on in the article I begin to comprehend that keeping children indoors is not healthy for them. Facts are shown that children who spend more time indoors gain a "weaker immune system" this suggests that children should be allowed out for a better life. Despite parents thinking they are keeping their child safe indoors, they are actually ruining their health.

Finally i understand that children who are used to being outdoors have a better opportunity of finding jobs. It seems that "outdoor work" could build up your confidence and independance to get a job. So an issue with keeping children indoors is that they are more dependant on others.

I dont know if this is worth full marks or not but i was awarded them, so this could give you an idea that you dont need perfect SPaG or complex inferences to get 8/8 on the first question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.8%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (534)
59.4%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.24%

Watched Threads