help! Watch

Kurdi_princess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
hi, this is a bit past a-levels chemistry statistics, but i was wonering if anyone knows how to work this out: would really appreciate it!

Blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is sometimes measured as a percentage by
volume. In many countries it is illegal to drive with a BAC of greater than 0.08%. A
BAC of 0.45% is generally considered fatal. How much alcohol (in millilitres) would
be present in the blood of an average person at (i) the legal limit for driving and (ii)
the generally accepted fatal dose (assume an average blood volume of 5 litre)? (3
marks)
JeremyC
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(i) 1 litre = 1000 ml, so 5 litres = 5000 ml. Hence, the answer is \large \frac{0.08}{100} \times 5000 = 4ml. (Basically: turn the percentage into a decimal by dividing by 100, and then multiply this by 5000.)

Can you now work out (ii)? (It's the same idea.)

Kurdi_princess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Oh how easy i thought it would be something much more complicated! lol
So seen as you know what your talking about, could you please help me out on the following pleaseeeee: im really finding it difficult!

1)A blood sample was analysed for plasma insulin (MW = 5807.67) and glucose (MW =180.6) concentrations and the results presented as follows:Insulin = 0.75 ng ml(-1) ; glucose = 0.62mg l (-1) Express these values as molar concentrations using a suitable prefix (pico, micro etc)

2)A biotech company has designed a new drug-delivery system, in which drugs are released slowly from hollow microspheres. Each microsphere has an internal diameter of 45 um (micro meters) and is filled with the drug solution. How many microspheres would have to be injected to deliver 15 ul (micro litres)

God bless anyone that manages to help me!!
iceman_jondoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
o wow these q's are hard but ive just done my alevels so prob thats why lol.
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kurdi_princess)
Oh how easy i thought it would be something much more complicated! lol
So seen as you know what your talking about, could you please help me out on the following pleaseeeee: im really finding it difficult!

1)A blood sample was analysed for plasma insulin (MW = 5807.67) and glucose (MW =180.6) concentrations and the results presented as follows:Insulin = 0.75 ng ml(-1) ; glucose = 0.62mg l (-1) Express these values as molar concentrations using a suitable prefix (pico, micro etc)
1)

Insulin conc = 0.75 ng/mL
= 0.75 picograms/L

(Next convert grams/L into moles/L)

Moles = Mass x Molecular Weight
= 0.75 x 10^-12 x 5807.67
= 4.3575... x 10^-9 moles/L

You should be able to do the same with glucose
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kurdi_princess)
2)A biotech company has designed a new drug-delivery system, in which drugs are released slowly from hollow microspheres. Each microsphere has an internal diameter of 45 um (micro meters) and is filled with the drug solution. How many microspheres would have to be injected to deliver 15 ul (micro litres)
2) Volume of sphere fomula:

Radius = 45/2 = 22.5 micrometers

Volume of 1 microsphere = 4/3 x 'pi' x (22.5 x 10^-6)^3
= 4.7712... x 10^-14 litres

Number of microspheres = Dose needed / Volume of 1 microsphere
= 15 x 10^-6 / 4.7712... x 10^-14
= 3.1438 x 10^8 microspheres

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.4%