Name:  2.png
Views: 188
Size:  17.2 KB

Okay I don't understand why it's C?

Name:  1.png
Views: 1812
Size:  39.1 KB

For 3, the answer's D but I don't understand why
For 4, it's D but I put A... I don't get the dipole-dipole interactions?? What's the difference?
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bond angle around C with four bonds = 109.5, bond angle around O with two bonds = 104.5. Hence C.

For 3, Cl2 doesn't have polar bonds, the other three do, but CCl4 is symmetrical so the dipoles cancel out, hence overall non-polar (with polar bonds).

For 4, similar to 3, CH4 has polar bonds, but the dipoles cancel out so VdW only. B&C have hydrogen bonds since H is attached to N,O or F. HI doesn't have hydrogen bonding but has permanent dipoles.
dogs4eva7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Bond angle around C with four bonds = 109.5, bond angle around O with two bonds = 104.5. Hence C.

For 3, Cl2 doesn't have polar bonds, the other three do, but CCl4 is symmetrical so the dipoles cancel out, hence overall non-polar (with polar bonds).

For 4, similar to 3, CH4 has polar bonds, but the dipoles cancel out so VdW only. B&C have hydrogen bonds since H is attached to N,O or F. HI doesn't have hydrogen bonding but has permanent dipoles.
For 3, is Cl2 not polar because it's symmetrical?
And what do you mean by permanent dipoles? I keep getting confused

Name:  2.png
Views: 369
Size:  29.1 KB

Why D for above?
Physika
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cl2 is non polar because it is a diatomic molecule meaning the constituent atoms have the same electronegativity and therefore no shift of electron density.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physika
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
CCL4 is symmetrical so the dipoles cancel each other out and overall the molecule is non polar however there are still polar bonds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physika
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hydrogen bonds form in compound with hydrogen bonded to (N/O/F) only. Therefore HI is the the only one with a polar bond without hydrogen bonds

Posted from TSR Mobile
dogs4eva7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Physika)
CCL4 is symmetrical so the dipoles cancel each other out and overall the molecule is non polar however there are still polar bonds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your replies!
But what is a dipole? Like what does it mean? What's the difference between dipole-dipole and hydrogen bonding?
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dipoles happen when two atoms with different electronegativities share their bonding pair electrons unevenly. The atom that gets more of the share has a small negative charge (not a full ionic charge), the other atom gets a small positive. These small + and - attract each other.

Hydrogen bonds are similar except the lone pair on a very electronegative atom (N, O or F) attracts a hydrogen on another molecule (which will have a small positive on it).
Physika
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401208713.498032.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  133.0 KB so the dipole dipole force come when to polar molecule come close and the positive and negative regions are attracted to each other making and intermolecular fore (a force holding molecules together without actually bonding them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bingo.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (22)
14.01%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
26.75%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (65)
41.4%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
3.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed