English the only subject you can't revise for?

Watch
Yousf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
You can read books, examiners report but you cant actually revise for this subject can you?
DebkoX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My friend.
I did maybe ten seconds of revision for English Language back in Winter, hell, on the morning of our exam, I was playing football xD

I scored 'A'.

I did about two hours of English Lit, for the recent ones just a week back. And I found it easy. I'm not going to say you can't, but sometimes, it isn't needed.
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only revision you can do is just to do practice with past papers.

Maybe you could read a dictionary but I doubt anyone would.
Yousf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by DebkoX)
My friend.
I did maybe ten seconds of revision for English Language back in Winter, hell, on the morning of our exam, I was playing football xD

I scored 'A'.

I did about two hours of English Lit, for the recent ones just a week back. And I found it easy. I'm not going to say you can't, but sometimes, it isn't needed.
whoa:eek:
the-black-lotus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can obviously revise for english literature but I think less so for language... That's probably why it's the one I'm the most stressed about to be honest
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can revise less I wouldn't go as far as to say it's not needed
ChocoholicCox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I spent way soo much time revising for English doing past papers constantly :P for like a month
Sophie Louise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
PAST PAPERS!

I'd say definitely revise! It's really important to work on the best technique for you; so, when it comes to the actual exam, you are not stressed about the lack of time. Do past papers, and make sure you're getting enough coverage to get the amount of marks you need. Also, get these marked by teachers so you're not making any errors that you could loose marks for. When doing past papers, you will notice that a lot of the question types are repeated, so once you know how to answer it on one paper, you know how to answer it on them all. Make sure to TIME YOURSELF!

When it comes to story writing, write a story and LEARN IT! Write a piece that has one main event, and is about 600-800 words long depending on how fast you can write. Make sure it is quite generic, so can fit in with the titles you get on Unit 1, and have a teacher check it for spelling mistakes and whether it works or not.

That's for English Language! I'm yet to do English Lit, but I know that learning quotes is really important!
megan.louise
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For English language you can open your book at any random page and start analysing it. Just practice finding literacy devices and explaining how they're relevant to the text. For the writing task, make sure you know how to write in given forms i.e. make sure you know how to set out a letter, leaflet etc.

For English literature, go through key themes and characters. You could also practice analysing random extracts for the first section. But make sure you know characters and themes in respect to the context of the book.
Madmatician
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't revise for English Language. The only way I know how to revise is by doing past papers, but I find Eng Lang so dull that I don't even bother - yet I get A*s in mocks! I think most of it is down to knowing how to answer the questions. You're pretty much set if you know the techniques. However, I did revise for my English Literature exam that I did last week. I stayed behind an hour after school the day before the exam, and then went home and just looked over some quotes. But out of all my exams I've done so far, I probably revised the least for English Lit. So, overall, I would say you can revise for English, but I don't think you need to stress yourself over it.
contradicta
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't revise much, maybe a few hours. Got an A -- only 2 marks of an A* in the exam ugh

My tip would be is to learn some generic metaphors before the exam and make sure to include them.
DebkoX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AlphaNick)
such a waste, only needed to do a bit of revision for an A*, yet you would settle for only an A...
Not really, you never know, it might have all been in vain. And I hardly 'settled' for A, I was expecting a B.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.98%
I'm not sure (30)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (212)
32.22%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (310)
47.11%

Watched Threads