The Student Room Group

Minimum grade requirements at GCSE for Oxbridge?

I know this is all guesswork and that it depends on the college - but could someone give me a rough estimate?

I get my results in August and I'm hoping for 5 A*, 3 A, and 2 B. I've never thought about Oxford or Cambridge before, but some of my teachers have been advising me to try if I get good AS levels next year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With them results, very little chance. Oxbridge students have about 8A*'s and A/A*s at A-Level. What course do you want to do at uni?
Matters more about A-Levels. If you improve drastically over the next two years you could have a chance. Don't really see the hype in the universities anyway.
Original post by JAIYEKO
With them results, very little chance. Oxbridge students have about 8A*'s and A/A*s at A-Level. What course do you want to do at uni?

Yeah, that's what I expected and it's absolutely fine with me. I'd like to go to a 'Russell Group' Uni if possible though. Not sure, I'm taking English Literature, History, French and Politics at AS Level, so one of them I guess!
Reply 4
Original post by TheShireIsMyHome
Yeah, that's what I expected and it's absolutely fine with me. I'd like to go to a 'Russell Group' Uni if possible though. Not sure, I'm taking English Literature, History, French and Politics at AS Level, so one of them I guess!

Yeah I speak french fluently, I might do French but only to AS if I do.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you do well at AS level itw old be worth applying if you want to go. those GCSE grades should be good enough
Original post by JAIYEKO
Yeah I speak french fluently, I might do a French but only to AS if I do.

You might as well do it at least to AS if you're fluent!
I know this is all guesswork and that it depends on the college - but could someone give me a rough estimate?

I get my results in August and I'm hoping for 5 A*, 3 A, and 2 B. I've never thought about Oxford or Cambridge before, but some of my teachers have been advising me to try if I get good AS levels next year.

Your grades are fine to apply for Oxbridge assuming you do well at AS. Don't listen to the idiots who say you need 8 A*s because its rubbish. I applied to Oxford and 'only' got 5A*s at GCSE but I messed my interview up so didn't get an offer; GCSEs are only one small part of a variety of things they'll take into account. Its definitely worth a go, you can apply to 5 different unis so it won't do any harm if you apply even if you don't get an offer.
Reply 8
You might as well do it at least to AS if you're fluent!

:smile:, et toi, est-ce que vous le parlez couramment?
Original post by JAIYEKO
:smile:, et toi, est-ce que vous le parlez couramment?

Malheureusement non... je voudrais etre un jour!
Oxford are known for liking a good set of GCSEs perhaps 6+ A*s however Cambridge focus more on AS level results. If you manage an average of >90 UMS then you'll have a good chance at Cambridge provided you interview well.
Reply 11
Malheureusement non... je voudrais etre un jour!

Ouais:smile:. Bonne chance

There are no GCSE requirements for courses at Oxford:
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1067/kw/gcse

The average no. of GCSEs A*s does tend to vary from subject to subject. The average applicant has 70% of GCSEs at A* for medicine. Here in Computer Science our candidates average 6-7 A*s, but some will have a lot less. Your results are below the average of our successful candidates. But it's just that: an average. Performance in aptitude tests (where relevant) and interview are more important.

When it comes to Oxford, the requirements are for a specific course; they will be the same for that course whichever college you apply to. There's lots of information here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford

HOpe that helps.

Dont go to oxbridge... you have brill results coming up and oxbridge will just say they aren't good enough when they obviously are... Unis like oxbridge are absolutely gay and very much over rated which is why the uni thinks its ''all that''and sets its dtandards high... Personally im expecting about 2 A*s 8 A's and 1 B... i want to do medicine and reckon i will get A*AAA in A level if i try but im gonna apply to uni such as Queen mary, imperial, St george, UCL which are very good universities with lower expectations than oxbridge - an overrated uni...
Original post by JAIYEKO

You're wrong in that they have 'very little chance' as AS results, admissions tests (again, if applicable), UMS (Cam), personal statement (more so for certain subjects), and essays (if applicable) will all play a part in the application process. Many people with those grades get in.

It doesn't depend on the College, unless you're applying to say, Trinity, Cambridge for Maths.
These results are fine to apply with, although they are slightly below average the average candidate - however, there are many more important factors which will be taken into account.

Original post by Angelo12231
Dont go to oxbridge... you have brill results coming up and oxbridge will just say they aren't good enough when they obviously are... Unis like oxbridge are absolutely gay and very much over rated which is why the uni thinks its ''all that''and sets its dtandards high... Personally im expecting about 2 A*s 8 A's and 1 B... i want to do medicine and reckon i will get A*AAA in A level if i try but im gonna apply to uni such as Queen mary, imperial, St george, UCL which are very good universities with lower expectations than oxbridge - an overrated uni...

Come on, don't be silly by calling them 'gay', which is homophobic anyway. Just accept the fact that Oxbridge are the best two universities in the UK and the reason why they set their standards high is because of the calibre of applicants they receive every year. I'm going to be honest; with Imperial and UCL Medicine, you'll need much better GCSE grades. There is only a small gap between them and Oxbridge.
(edited 9 years ago)

Ignore what some people say, yes the majority of Oxbridge candidates have a lot of A* at gcse but this is because the applicants tend to be of very high calibre. My sister had 4 interviews at Oxford despite only having 1 A* at GCSE.... However she did have AAAB at AS level (with those As being almost A* if they had them at AS level)

Nothing's impossible, and if your teachers think you're up for it it's definitely worth a shot! you will still have 4 other uni applications if it doesn't work out anyway, good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
There are no GCSE requirements for courses at Oxford:
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1067/kw/gcse

The average no. of GCSEs A*s does tend to vary from subject to subject. The average applicant has 70% of GCSEs at A* for medicine. Here in Computer Science our candidates average 6-7 A*s, but some will have a lot less. Your results are below the average of our successful candidates. But it's just that: an average. Performance in aptitude tests (where relevant) and interview are more important.

When it comes to Oxford, the requirements are for a specific course; they will be the same for that course whichever college you apply to. There's lots of information here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford

HOpe that helps.

Original post by mizzsnazzter
Ignore what some people say, yes the majority of Oxbridge candidates have a lot of A* at gcse but this is because the applicants tend to be of very high calibre. My sister had 4 interviews at Oxford despite only having 1 A* at GCSE.... However she did have AAAB at AS level (with those As being almost A* if they had them at AS level)

Nothing's impossible, and if your teachers think you're up for it it's definitely worth a shot! you will still have 4 other uni applications if it doesn't work out anyway, good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having 4 interviews doesn't mean anything good or bad, though. ;l It's the average for Maths and related candidates and they can interview you as many times as possible if they're not sure about the decision they want to make.
Original post by yl95
You're wrong in that they have 'very little chance' as AS results, admissions tests (again, if applicable), UMS (Cam), personal statement (more so for certain subjects), and essays (if applicable) will all play a part in the application process. Many people with those grades get in.

It doesn't depend on the College, unless you're applying to say, Trinity, Cambridge for Maths.
These results are fine to apply with, although they are slightly below average the average candidate - however, there are many more important factors which will be taken into account.

Come on, don't be silly by calling them 'gay', which is homophobic anyway. Just accept the fact that Oxbridge are the best two universities in the world and the reason why they set their standards high is because of the calibre of applicants they receive every year. I'm going to be honest; with Imperial and UCL Medicine, you'll need much better GCSE grades. There is only a small gap between them and Oxbridge.

they are overrated... ive done a project as part of my astronomy gcse in cambridge and there really is nothing special about cambridge... its better to apply smart as hoping to get in won't get you anywhere

Given your AS Level subjects, I'd say go for it if you get good AS grades and like the look of the collegiate system and course content :h:

Quick Reply

Latest