The Student Room Group

Studying only languages or combining German with maths at university?

I'm currently a year 12 student studying French, German and maths for my a levels. I love languages, especially German and know that I definitely want to continue with German at university. I am however undecided whether it would be best for me to study German and another language, or German and maths. I really enjoy maths and if I don't continue with it after a level I will probably miss it, but I don't know whether it would really be of any benefit to me if I continued with it at degree level. I think I would either like to become a language teacher or translator after university, so I'm wondering whether German and another language would be best for me?
If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Hi!

if you want to be a language teacher then it would probably be best to study another language. A useful language that many schools teach perhaps french? However if your mind isn't fully made up then maths can offer many different careers http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/10/26/cb.ten.math.jobs/

take a look at this website! Maths defo pays more than teaching

i hope this helps

p
Original post by Hannie Rose
I'm currently a year 12 student studying French, German and maths for my a levels. I love languages, especially German and know that I definitely want to continue with German at university. I am however undecided whether it would be best for me to study German and another language, or German and maths. I really enjoy maths and if I don't continue with it after a level I will probably miss it, but I don't know whether it would really be of any benefit to me if I continued with it at degree level. I think I would either like to become a language teacher or translator after university, so I'm wondering whether German and another language would be best for me?
If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated :smile:

You're situation sounds so similar to mine it's unreal haha!! I am in Scotland so done highers not A levels but took French, German and Maths and have always had a passion for German and thought I would do German and maths.... Until I took advanced higher maths and hated every minute of it!!

I'm now doing accountancy with German at Dundee university and am very confident I made the right decision in dropping maths however I still get bits of it with accounting!
....also was dead set on becoming a translator but didn't want to totally give up on the maths side of things so doing French and night school to keep my languages doors open as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending