Azhar.96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Currently studying in my first year at sixth form and unfortunately I was not given the chance to study Maths but instead an A Level in Statistics. My sixth form does not allow Maths w/ Stats and Statistics to be taken together, is this because of the college itself (timetable problems?) or maybe because of exam boards wont allow it? The exam board for Maths w/ Stats is OCR and for Statistics its AQA. If I would be allowed to take Maths w/ Stats I was planning on self teaching and taking the exams as an external candidate. Does anyone have any advice for me for how I can accomplish this?
ttoby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's very likely that the exam boards wouldn't allow that combination as there could be significant overlap between the subjects. But it's necessary to check with the exam boards to be sure (check the specification on their websites). The fact that there are two different boards involved could complicate things a bit.

What was the reason your school gave for not letting you take maths? Was it a timetable issue or did you not have the necessary grades?
Inevitable
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Edexcel allows you to do Statistics and Maths together.

Why don't you just drop Statistics after sitting the AS and then do the full Maths A-Level next year? In all honesty, you could finish C1-C4 in the summer.
Azhar.96
Rep:
?
AQA have confirmed that I can take Statistics and Maths with Statistics as two seperate A Levels. I've just send an email now to both AQA and OCR to see if they allow the same (AQA for Statistics and OCR for Maths with Statistics).
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Azhar.96)
AQA have confirmed that I can take Statistics and Maths with Statistics as two seperate A Levels. I've just send an email now to both AQA and OCR to see if they allow the same (AQA for Statistics and OCR for Maths with Statistics).
I am surprised given point 3.4

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...80-W-SP-14.PDF
Azhar.96
Rep:
?
(Original post by TenOfThem)
I am surprised given point 3.4

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...80-W-SP-14.PDF
"A-level Maths and A-level Statisitcs use to have a common unit which was MS/SS1/B. Due to the removal of the January exams it was decided to separate the common unit and have two separate exams for the Statistics unit in Maths and the Statistics 1 in Statistics.
So, if you wish to take A-level Maths (with the Statistics application) and A-level Statistics you will take two exams one will be coded MS1B for A-level Maths and SS1B for A-level Statistics."

This is from the email I received from AQA which cleared everything up.
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Azhar.96)
"A-level Maths and A-level Statisitcs use to have a common unit which was MS/SS1/B. Due to the removal of the January exams it was decided to separate the common unit and have two separate exams for the Statistics unit in Maths and the Statistics 1 in Statistics.
So, if you wish to take A-level Maths (with the Statistics application) and A-level Statistics you will take two exams one will be coded MS1B for A-level Maths and SS1B for A-level Statistics."

This is from the email I received from AQA which cleared everything up.
Excellent
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.17%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.94%

Watched Threads