The Student Room Group

Iodine-thiosulfate titrations

Basically I'm really confused about exactly what you need to know for Iodine-thiosulfate titrations, and how they actually work?? I understand the ionic equations for them, and about the starch, but my revision guides and textbook seem to say different things. One of them includes a lot of information about the preparation of potassium iodate (V) as the oxidising agent, and involves forming crystals and filtering, drying etc. which i had no idea had anything to do with titrations?! So could someone please just outline to me step by step how to carry out one of these titrations, including preparation of any solutions? I'm veryyy confused right now :l

This is for my unit 2 chemistry exam, Edexcel
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
The part about potassium iodate purification is most likely related to the fact potassium iodate is one of the standard substances, and its purification is - generally speaking - an important part of the procedure. However, you are most likely expected to use already pure salt. In such case you either just weigh iodate to prepare its solution, or (for really precise work) put it in a dryer for few hours and then weigh.

See http://www.titrations.info/iodometric-titration for another source of information. Feel free to ask any detailed questions.

Quick Reply

Latest