elvisiggy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am having a problem getting student finance for the first year of my course. They will fund me for the next two years. Anyone know the rules and can I appeal.
lauren1981
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by elvisiggy)
I am having a problem getting student finance for the first year of my course. They will fund me for the next two years. Anyone know the rules and can I appeal.
Hi elvisiggy,

I can't pretend to be an expert on Student Finance but if you give a bit more information about your current situation ie what previous study you have done and what you now want to do, I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Also there are dedicated student finance forums where you might find some useful information, if you live in England there is a forum 'Ask Student Finance England' where a Student Finance representative answers questions once a week.
rocket0612
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have u gained finance before? As far as I know u can only get 4 yes funding so have you studied for 2 years and claimed finance previously? It sounds like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Student Finance calculation is:

Number of years of your new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni-level study (plus) One year = Number of years of remaining SF entitlement

If you've previously done two years at uni and left without graduating, you would not get funding for the first year of a course (the calculation would give you 3-2+1=2). Partial years are counted as complete, so this would apply if you left part way through your second year. Is that your situation? It seems to match what SF are telling you. If so, you would get full funding for the second and third year of a new three year degree, but only a basic Maintenance Loan in your first year (i.e. no Tuition Fee Loan).

The only way in which you could appeal this, is by trying to claw back a year of entitlement from your first period of study if you could claim mitigating circumstance (known as "Compelling Personal Reasons"). You would need to prove that severe problems such as health or bereavement, had meant that you couldn't continue with your last course. Proof would be in the form of letters from professionals who helped you with the problems e.g. GP, hospital consultant, counsellor etc. If that is accepted, then you would get your full SF entitlement for your entire new course. If you just dropped out of your first course because you weren't enjoying it or you weren't getting the results you expected, that wouldn't be grounds for CPR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.13%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.85%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.84%

Watched Threads