L'Etudiant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello everyone,

I built my own PC earlier last year and since my motherboard came with its own Wifi module and antenna I was happy. My motherboard is an Asus z87 Pro btw.

I store most of my media files on a separate PC (HP Microserver) and this PC is connected by Ethernet to my Superhub. I also use a good quality Ethernet Cable so it is able to max out its its Gigabit connection.

Unfortunately, I have found that transferring files to and from my desktop to my Microserver is unbearably slow via Wifi and thus I started to look into Powerline adapters as there is no other way for the Ethernet cable to reach my room as I am upstairs. Can somebody recommend a decent one? I transfer large files (6GB+) regularly to sometimes edit and post onto YouTube.

Many thanks
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've got the 1 port version of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=computers Think it has been upgraded now as the 1 port looks different to what I have. Reliable, fast enough for console gaming, works over two separate powerline circuits (linked to same fuse box), not huge, but nor are they small.

I downloaded 20GB to my PS4 two weeks ago in about 2 or 3 hours. But I'm sure my broadband speed is the limit in the system not the powerline adapters.

Initially I bought a set made by Zyxcel or something like that which were slightly cheaper, with good reviews, but they broke within a week.
L'Etudiant
Rep:
?
(Original post by dhr90)
I've got the 1 port version of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&s=computers Think it has been upgraded now as the 1 port looks different to what I have. Reliable, fast enough for console gaming, works over two separate powerline circuits (linked to same fuse box), not huge, but nor are they small.

I downloaded 20GB to my PS4 two weeks ago in about 2 or 3 hours. But I'm sure my broadband speed is the limit in the system not the powerline adapters.

Initially I bought a set made by Zyxcel or something like that which were slightly cheaper, with good reviews, but they broke within a week.
These look really good! Do you keep them on all day or only when using your PS4? Do they get hot? I will be using those to connect my desktop and thus the adapters will be very close to my feet :/
dhr90
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by L'Etudiant)
These look really good! Do you keep them on all day or only when using your PS4? Do they get hot? I will be using those to connect my desktop and thus the adapters will be very close to my feet :/
They are left plugged in and switched on 24/7. Only turn them off when we go away on holiday. The one the PS4 is plugged into seems to turn off when it doesn't detect it is in use. The one at the modem always has lights on, felt it just now, not even warm. No idea whether that is different when in use, but I doubt it would get that warm.

How close are your plug sockets to the ground if they are near your feet?! If you're using them with an extension lead I'd check that works before you buy, I'm sure there are plenty of reviews online covering that though.
L'Etudiant
Rep:
?
(Original post by dhr90)
They are left plugged in and switched on 24/7. Only turn them off when we go away on holiday. The one the PS4 is plugged into seems to turn off when it doesn't detect it is in use. The one at the modem always has lights on, felt it just now, not even warm. No idea whether that is different when in use, but I doubt it would get that warm.

How close are your plug sockets to the ground if they are near your feet?! If you're using them with an extension lead I'd check that works before you buy, I'm sure there are plenty of reviews online covering that though.
Brilliant, I think I'll go with these as they have a lot of good reviews on Amazon as well! The extension lead is at the tip of my feet basically but I think with the adapter I will just plug it into the mains as I have a free socket

Thanks for your help dude!
dhr90
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Brilliant, I think I'll go with these as they have a lot of good reviews on Amazon as well! The extension lead is at the tip of my feet basically but I think with the adapter I will just plug it into the mains as I have a free socket

You can get them with a power socket pass through built in, which may be better than an adapter...
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Do remember, that powerline's performance is also dependent on the internal wiring of your home
L'Etudiant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Do remember, that powerline's performance is also dependent on the internal wiring of your home
Hmm, how can I check whether it's good or bad?
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hmm, how can I check whether it's good or bad?
You can't to be fair until you try it...hence why some people leave negative reviews complaining of speed issues.
L'Etudiant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqbal007)
You can't to be fair until you try it...hence why some people leave negative reviews complaining of speed issues.
Aah, I hope it is at the very least better than the speed I am currently getting from Wi-fi. If I move a file from or to my Microserver I get at the very best 3MB per second :|
dhr90
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aah, I hope it is at the very least better than the speed I am currently getting from Wi-fi. If I move a file from or to my Microserver I get at the very best 3MB per second :|
Have you considered a long Ethernet cable? At uni I used a 25m one to connect my desktop and PS3 to the router. I just had to be imaginative with the route and use some blutack to keep it in place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Etudiant
Rep:
?
(Original post by dhr90)
Have you considered a long Ethernet cable? At uni I used a 25m one to connect my desktop and PS3 to the router. I just had to be imaginative with the route and use some blutack to keep it in place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not possible unfortunately, I am upstairs and Ethernet would mean a super long cable as well as drilling through the walls. Too much lol
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...el=TL-PA411KIT

I use these. They're fantastic little things. My PC (Belkin Micro Surf USB Wifi) and 360 (Official Wireless G adapter) both seem much quicker.
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A couple of things to remember, You probably won't get the claimed speed for powerline adapters (it could be much worse if you've got various extension leads etc. around).

Powerline adapters have also been shown in various examples to be potentially unsecure in some cases with people in neighbouring houses to being able to connect their networks together, They've also been shown to work when connected to two totally separate mains supplies (one on the national grid and one on batteries and inverters).

Personally I'd run an ethernet cable - you'll get the best speed possible it's cheaper and much more secure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads