Most effective Skin Whitening creams (on a budget)?

Watch
Joyful_soul
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Sun is out again and I am tanned enough. I actually really want to whiten my skin a lot.

What should I use? Keep in mind that I don't want a temporary mask but something that actually whitens the skin.

I have olive skin - so I'd say 4/10 with 1 being white and 10 black

Appreciate all the help!
iammeyouareyou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fair & Lovely?

It's a popular one among Asians but I'm not sure how well it works...
Valyrian
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fair and Lovely definitely, but you could always try Fair and Handsome.
isaaccharles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It sounds like you have a nice tan... why would you want to get any lighter?
lil.cherry
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wont pick on your choice because I'm seeing "fake tan methods" on the right side of this

Anyways, use sun cream to stop going darker first of all - no point in lightening your skin and then tanning it

As for lightening creams? Idk as I don't use them - but I've heard rice powder water is good for skin tone, so is lemon juice. I assume youre looking for some strong chemical stuff though :s
Orange s0da
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cake soap
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I doubt there is anything on the market that allows you to permanently bleach your skin colour.

It is also quite sad.
Rebel_Chick
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well this is sad.

Oh I see the post above me after I typed. ^^^
Rebel_Chick
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DorianGrayism)
I doubt there is anything on the market that allows you to permanently bleach your skin colour.

It is also quite sad.
lol exactly. :five:
Joyful_soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rebel_Chick)
Well this is sad.

Can you explain why this is 'sad'?
I just don't like my skin colour and want to change it if that is possible.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well this is sad.

Why is it sad? Aren't people allowed to have preferences?
kofoska
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Use a cream with Kojic Acid, Aurbtin etc These are all natural lightener
it will lighten skin, I dont know your Fitz Skin Type so about whitening
Avoid Hydroquione and steroids if you can besides its banned in UK
ITS NOT PERMANENT but takes long to redarken to original colour with lighteners
Use sunscreen preferable with zinc oxide
Lighteningskin to fix skin eveness/texture, or to brightening in my opinion is fine but to jump huge amount of shades e.g micheal jackson may show underlying issues
anyways hope i helped
btw permanent lighteners e.g monobenzone are used for suffers of vitiligo and are dangerous suffers have to use adequate sun protection, when stopping can develop brown spots
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why would you want to lighten/change your skin colour? It's part of who you are! You should try and be happy with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joyful_soul
Rep:
?
(Original post by kofoska)
Use a cream with Kojic Acid, Aurbtin etc These are all natural lightener
it will lighten skin, I dont know your Fitz Skin Type so about whitening
Avoid Hydroquione and steroids if you can besides its banned in UK
ITS NOT PERMANENT but takes long to redarken to original colour with lighteners
Use sunscreen preferable with zinc oxide
Lighteningskin to fix skin eveness/texture, or to brightening in my opinion is fine but to jump huge amount of shades e.g micheal jackson may show underlying issues
anyways hope i helped
btw permanent lighteners e.g monobenzone are used for suffers of vitiligo and are dangerous suffers have to use adequate sun protection, when stopping can develop brown spots
(Original post by TheTechN1304)
There are a number of things I would suggest.

First of all get fair and lovely. It's a good cream and doesn't have any harmful effects. Make sure you use it twice a day

i would also recommend making a face mask with honey and fresh lemon juice everyday (only needs to be about 1 or 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and a tablespoon or two of honey). Apply this to your face and leave it on for about 15 minutes or so - the longer you do so the better. I prefer leaving in on overnight and put a towel around my pillow to stop it getting sticky. If you don't want to do that it's fine. The lemon has acidic properties and so will breakdown the old layers of skin and lighten it. It's something that's been done for a long time before the creams were invented. The honey has antibacterial properties and will also moisturise your skin which is important because the lemon will make your skin very dry otherwise.

finally, I strongly recommend a sunblock that has zinc oxide. My favourite is Blue Lizard. The zinc oxide acts as a barrier between your skin and the sun, and this is especially important while lightening, as if you don't apply sunblock then you will get tanned or burnt (because your skin becomes extra sensitive when lightening). Apply the sunblock to all areas of your body that are exposed. It's worth mentioning that this is more expensive than other sunblocks, and costs about £26 on amazon, however it lasts a very long time.

Obviously I'd also suggest other things like drinking lots of water, trying not to spend too long in the sun but they're all common sense really.

It it does take a long time to see results (not denying that) and because we're getting into the summer now, it will be a lot more difficult, however it's still by all means possible. I'm in the same position and can understand your situation, so I've suggested a few things that are working for me. PM me if you need to know anything else

hope this helps!!
Thank you so much for this.
Oschene23
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why are people anti skin whitening, when skin darkening is so prevalent?

Massive double standards much.

People clearly don't like it because it is used by certain races of people to get their skin colour closer to what they perceive to be more attractive (usually the tone of white people).

However, white people tend to like a more tanned look; why they hypocritically think one desire is wrong and the other isn't is laughable.
Oschene23
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by karmacrunch)
Why would you want to lighten/change your skin colour? It's part of who you are! You should try and be happy with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you're against tanning then? And/or you've never had the desire for a tan in your life?

If no, you're statement lacks any validity.
Oschene23
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well this is sad.

Is it equally sad to try to tan? Or does that rule only apply if you want your skin a lighter shade? Please enlighten us all.
karmacrunch
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Oschene23)
So you're against tanning then? And/or you've never had the desire for a tan in your life?

If no, you're statement lacks any validity.
But tanning is natural, whitening skin is almost artificially changing yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oschene23
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by karmacrunch)
But tanning is natural, whitening skin is almost artificially changing yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very weak argument, people who tan rarely do so 'accidently' , and its very easy to avoid unless you for instance work outdoors in hot climates.

And yeah its artificially changing yourself, so is taking medicine to cure illnesses or having an abortion. Something being artificial doesn't have any impact on its validity. Certain peoples want whiter skin because they find it more attractive, its a preference, who are you to look down on it?
Musie Suzie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Joyful_soul)
Can you explain why this is 'sad'?
I just don't like my skin colour and want to change it if that is possible.
I think it's too risky, personally. I mean, you wouldn't drink bleach (which is essentially what skin lightening creams are, as far as I've gathered), so why have it absorbed by your skin? Such strong chemicals probably won't do your skin any good in the long run. Also, I imagine the results are incredibly variable - what if your skin came out patchy or a colour you just didn't like?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.47%
I'm not sure (46)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.52%
I have already dropped out (29)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (517)
48.91%

Watched Threads