Where did you meet your partner? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
First off, apologies for so many questions but here goes:

Where did you meet your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend/husband?

How did you approach them/they approach you? What was the attraction?

Is there anywhere specific you prefer to be approached or anywhere that you think aren't good to meet anyone?

The only GF I've ever had I met through school (we went out for a year before splitting up). Since leaving school I don't know where is best to meet girls to actually 'date'. I mean, I can do the whole 'pulling' thing pretty well on nights out but I never never meet the type of girl to actually look to start a relationship with - they typically are the sorts only into one night stands.

I'm bored with a partying sort of lifestyle and I would like a girlfriend. I have hobbies (sports) and I work whilst at uni but they tend to be pretty male dominated so it's hard to meet girls with similar interests. Any advice?

Cheers in advance.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
No one at all?
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I met my last two boyfriends on the internet, and I did the introducing. Though from what I gather, you'll be very lucky to get a girl that way.
Welsh Bluebird
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the bank during a robbery. Once I took off the ski mask it was love at first sight. The alarm bells were well and truly ringing.
pinkbullets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Is there anywhere specific you prefer to be approached or anywhere that you think aren't good to meet anyone?

The only GF I've ever had I met through school (we went out for a year before splitting up). Since leaving school I don't know where is best to meet girls to actually 'date'. I mean, I can do the whole 'pulling' thing pretty well on nights out but I never never meet the type of girl to actually look to start a relationship with - they typically are the sorts only into one night stands.

I'm bored with a partying sort of lifestyle and I would like a girlfriend. I have hobbies (sports) and I work whilst at uni but they tend to be pretty male dominated so it's hard to meet girls with similar interests. Any advice?

Cheers in advance.
I'm sorry, this isn't going to be much help because I met my boyfriend at Sixth Form (five years ago). He made the first move and kissed me but we were in the same friendship group anyway so we already knew each other. I can't really explain the attraction to him, I haven't felt anything like that before or since - I just knew that I wanted to be with him and everything about him became incredibly attractive to me.

Saying that, when we were on a break I met a few guys on nights out. I never slept with any of them (and only kissed like two of them) and they wanted to go on dates and stuff so they could potentially have turned into relationships. All of my friends in relationships met their boyfriends on nights out, at school or through bands/social clubs at university. I don't necessarily think nights out are as bad a way of meeting potential partners as everyone makes out especially if it's a friend of a friend sort of situation.

I guess that you could probably meet a potential partner anywhere be it at the bus stop, at work or through friends. It'll happen when it happens, so don't worry.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
I met my last two boyfriends on the internet, and I did the introducing. Though from what I gather, you'll be very lucky to get a girl that way.
I wouldn't say "lucky". Due to the impersonal nature of communicating via the Internet I find it real easy to bond with people as I totally suck at face-to-face stuff. I've had several girlfriends that I've met online, but only a couple have been serious.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
I wouldn't say "lucky". Due to the impersonal nature of communicating via the Internet I find it real easy to bond with people as I totally suck at face-to-face stuff. I've had several girlfriends that I've met online, but only a couple have been serious.
Ah right, you must be one of those "normal" men, and not the kind that moans how women on the internet aren't interested and don't do any of the work.
heyoka
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
met my boyfriend in high school, i really hated him for like 2 years but then i actually had a normal conversation with him and i realised he's actually a good guy, ive never been approached by a potential boyfriend
Gax
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Cheers in advance.
In my dreams...
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Ah right, you must be one of those "normal" men, and not the kind that moans how women on the internet aren't interested and don't do any of the work.
Well, I wouldn't say "normal"...

A couple of them were just intense pubescent flirting and the "relationship" stage seemed to be the next logical (or rather, emotional) progression. Somehow neither party took into account that two 15 year olds with no form of income living 300 miles away from each other might not actually be the best idea :lol: Live and learn I guess.

The next two were friends that progressed into relationships: someone I knew via online for years, we spoke, got close, got closer, and bang, relationship. Never actually met up though, but I know fo' sho' that I wasn't being catfished (we wouldn't still be friends if I was).

Then you have my current girlfriend, who I've known via the Internet for nearly a decade (from being on the AOL Teen boards together, and when they went to **** a handful of members relocated to a private Proboards forum that most of us are still on 8 years down the line). Her and her fella broke up last year, we had kinda bonded during a meet in the summer so I was there for her during the fallout of that relationship, and now we're an item. A load of people on said forum was surprised that it had taken us so long to get together (we share common ground in that we're both socially awkward, so... win?).

So yeah, cute stories all round

Moral of the story: finding someone on the Internet is real damn easy (I've never used dating sites), finding a way to work around any distance from then on and maintaining a physical relationship is a tad harder.
bumblebee342
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I met my ex in a club and I met the guy I'm seeing at the moment in a club as well (first time he approached me, second time we ended up chatting because we were looking for people). I mean it is possible, I guess it depends on who you meet. Many people out aren't looking for a relationship, as you said, but there's also a chance that you'll meet someone who's more interested in a relationship.
I also don't think it's a 'bad' way to meet people, despite getting comments myself :rolleyes:

I know it's not much of an answer, but you could meet someone anywhere (as someone above commented), whether it be at a club, through friends, or through work/uni - it will happen and as naff as it sounds, a lot of the time you meet someone where you're not looking!
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Met him in chemistry class at secondary school. He sat in front of me and always looked round at me and took a beamer. A year later I found out that my best guy friend was friends with him. He saw me appear on my friend's msn one day and recognised me from my pic as the girl from chemistry and asked my friend if he could talk to me. We started talking on FB and within weeks we were best friends and hung out every day and he eventually asked me out and 5 yrs on we now live together, have cats and are engaged

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed