What does this gym contract mean exactly

Watch
Tbx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I want to join my local gym for around 4 months for the summer but may stay depending on whether I still have the motivation or if i go to my uni gym instead but a few terms are confusing me.

Spoiler:
Show

1. This package is offered for a minimum of 12 months. Members can pay either by annual subscription in advance, or monthly by Direct Debit. For granting this credit, members pay an additional 10% charge which is incorporated in the Direct Debit payments.

Does this mean I have a 12 month contract as soon as I sign it?

2. The Direct Debit contract will commence on the date stated under Date of First Direct Debit. If you wish to terminate your Direct Debit membership agreement you must do so in writing to the centre where you joined. Terminations will be subject to a single cancellation fee equivalent to 2 monthly payments where membership is cancelled during the first 12 months of the contract from the Date of First Direct Debit. Annual memberships are non-refundable. If the termination process is not followed legal proceedings may be taken.

Does this make the first point moot? So I could cancel the membership after 4 months but I would have to pay 2 months of membership to cancel it?

Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tbx)
I want to join my local gym for around 4 months for the summer but may stay depending on whether I still have the motivation or if i go to my uni gym instead but a few terms are confusing me.

Spoiler:
Show

1. This package is offered for a minimum of 12 months. Members can pay either by annual subscription in advance, or monthly by Direct Debit. For granting this credit, members pay an additional 10% charge which is incorporated in the Direct Debit payments.

Does this mean I have a 12 month contract as soon as I sign it?

2. The Direct Debit contract will commence on the date stated under Date of First Direct Debit. If you wish to terminate your Direct Debit membership agreement you must do so in writing to the centre where you joined. Terminations will be subject to a single cancellation fee equivalent to 2 monthly payments where membership is cancelled during the first 12 months of the contract from the Date of First Direct Debit. Annual memberships are non-refundable. If the termination process is not followed legal proceedings may be taken.

Does this make the first point moot? So I could cancel the membership after 4 months but I would have to pay 2 months of membership to cancel it?

No it doesn't make the first point moot at all.

Yes, if you want to terminate the agreement you can do, but you have to do so via a particular way, and pay 2 months. So, effective you'll pay for 6 months, with 4 months use.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads