Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hey all, am mighty confuzzled (as usual) with fess and bursaries and sponsorship and what not.

    Say you did a 3 year BA in something OTHER than law
    and then a conversion course
    and then the BVC

    any estimations how this much is going to cost (for those of you who have been there - with living expenses).

    And what bits can you get sponsorhip for (what does that really MEAN, or can you not get it if you want to be abarrister not a lawyer?) Is there any finanical help available if your not from a lower income family?!

    Thanks all!

    PS Also interested in any info about costs without the conversion (i.e. doing law LLB and then BVC)

    I don't know about the BVC route, so can't help really, but I did the GDL at Nottingham and it was nearly £6,000 fees and I know the BVC is more. Some firms will pay your fees and give you sponsorship (around £6 or 7,000 I think0 not sure though- my firm doesn't sponsor me )

    You're probably best off looking at some careers websites. www.lawcareers.net is a really good place to start along with the chambers and partners student guide which is on the internet as well or comes in a hard copy. They're basically the only 2 places I looked, and they'll probably link you to all the other places you need to be.

    Sorry, that's not more useful! The websites are good though

    I know that some law firms sponsor you, but then again I haven't really looked into the barrister route, you would be better off if you visited websites of barristers chambers and see what they say regarding sponsorship and perhaps email some your questions. It will cost you about £16/17,000 in total probably more as it will be about 4 years before you start.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 17, 2006

University open days

  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.