The Student Room Group

Sexism in geek culture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Haddock
Why can't it be both? You can be sexist and elitist, and furthermore you can be sexist in expressing elitism and you can be elitist in expressing sexism (in fact the latter goes without saying, really). It seems bizarre to suggest female gamers don't face problems specific to their gender just because much broader problems exist as well, especially when it's as obvious as it is.

Where did I say it can't be both? In the example given by the OP that isn't sexism as explained in my very first response.
If you beat me at COD, swear I will actually kill you.

Apart from that, it's all good.
Original post by Welsh Bluebird
Where did I say it can't be both? In the example given by the OP that isn't sexism as explained in my very first response.

Well you did kind of straight up say "it's not sexism ... that is the problem". That kind of suggests you don't think it's sexism that is the problem. Maybe I read too much into it, whatever. You also didn't really explain how it's not sexism, you just kinda pulled the old 'you should take sexual harassment as a compliment' and ignored the parts about being called a 'fake geek' and 'attention whore' and experiencing misogyny online.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Well you did kind of straight up say "it's not sexism ... that is the problem". That kind of suggests you don't think it's sexism that is the problem. Maybe I read too much into it, whatever. You also didn't really explain how it's not sexism, you just kinda pulled the old 'you should take sexual harassment as a compliment' and ignored the parts about being called a 'fake geek' and 'attention whore' and experiencing misogyny online.

Sexism and sexual harassment isn't the same. Also, looking at someone or admiring someone who is looking good due to wearing revealing clothes is neither sexism or sexual harassment. That's why I disagree with OP. If you go go a cosplay event wearing such what do you expect? For people to look at you in disgust? If I go out as a male and look good and people look at me that's normal. People are attracted to the bodies of other people. Hardly a groundbreaking revelation is it? Its entirely natural. But yeah, nice one for putting words in the mouths of others on the basis of assumptions and presumptions.

And I didn't ignore the parts about being a fake geek but again I see that as an issue of elitism and not sexism. As for attention whore I think anyone, male or female, who goes out wearing revealing clothes wants attention. Men walk in the streets in the summer with their tops off for women to notice their bodies. Its not that common a thing though in a civilised society so when people do it others will look.
Sexual fetishes are not sexist.

Finding women attractive is not sexist.

Being unable to keep your attraction to a woman is not sexist.

The idea that men should be shamed for finding women attractive is downright pathetic.
Original post by Welsh Bluebird
Sexism and sexual harassment isn't the same. Also, looking at someone or admiring someone who is looking good due to wearing revealing clothes is neither sexism or sexual harassment. That's why I disagree with OP. If you go go a cosplay event wearing such what do you expect? For people to look at you in disgust? If I go out as a male and look good and people look at me that's normal. People are attracted to the bodies of other people. Hardly a groundbreaking revelation is it? Its entirely natural. But yeah, nice one for putting words in the mouths of others on the basis of assumptions and presumptions.

And I didn't ignore the parts about being a fake geek but again I see that as an issue of elitism and not sexism. As for attention whore I think anyone, male or female, who goes out wearing revealing clothes wants attention. Men walk in the streets in the summer with their tops off for women to notice their bodies. Its not that common a thing though in a civilised society so when people do it others will look.

You realise the OP isn't outraged about being admired, right? She specifically said she experienced sexual harassment and you just kind of decided this meant 'people looked at her'. I think it's pretty telling that literally every single time I see a woman bring up her experiences with sexism on here you get men telling them their problems are either exaggerated, unimportant or made up. I'm not even a woman or a gamer or into 'geek culture' or whatever but just by being on the internet I have witnessed exactly what the OP is talking about - many, many times.
I tried so hard to read this discussion, but the further I got into it the angrier I got.

Firstly girls, you do realise the gaming community ratio of male:female is about 60:40, we're hardly a minority. I play mmos and game on Xbox live, and have never experienced sexism. However, I don't advertise myself as a 'girlgamer'.
What is this whole 'the geek community is all guys, they can't control themselves when girls are involved'. Get a grip.

I get so sick and tired of girls playing the victim! Any kind of cosplay attracts attention, people will look, and half the time they're probably thinking 'hey, that's an awesome cosplay'. So why do some people assume they're staring and being perverted.

Directed at the op I'm mixed race, I've cosplayed as several people and no one has ever commented on the fact they're a different race to me. If people were racist to you did you report it? At any convention there is alway security there for those situations

Also I get it, a lot of the time women are over sexualised in video games or whatever, but so are men! 9/10 times male protagonists are pretty ripped, more so than your average male.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending