AnonG
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've not applied to Queen Mary as to be honest, I didn't do much research so applied to others. But now I really want to go Queen Mary to study law and politics which I believe is a very competitive course.

I have a few questions:

1) Is BA law and politics and/or law LLB likely to be in clearing this year?
2) Since the entry requirements is AAA for law and politics, how lenient would Queen Mary be if I got A* B B (with the A* in law) or at least A* B C instead come results day, if the course is in clearing that is?
3) Are the entry requirements in clearing usually lower?
4) Do you know of other reputable or good universities in London that would consider me if they're in clearing for law?

Thanks.
AnonG
Rep:
?
Bump
EcstaZEEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AnonG)
I've not applied to Queen Mary as to be honest, I didn't do much research so applied to others. But now I really want to go Queen Mary to study law and politics which I believe is a very competitive course.

I have a few questions:

1) Is BA law and politics and/or law LLB likely to be in clearing this year?
2) Since the entry requirements is AAA for law and politics, how lenient would Queen Mary be if I got A* B B (with the A* in law) or at least A* B C instead come results day, if the course is in clearing that is?
3) Are the entry requirements in clearing usually lower?
4) Do you know of other reputable or good universities in London that would consider me if they're in clearing for law?

Thanks.
Hi, I attended a QM open day before. Apparently, the LLB program is really really competitive (6:1 - I think) and some people who do not meet the offer gets rerouted to the BA program (I think).

They're lenient in terms of a couple of UMS off. To be honest, they actually like students who didn't take Law A levels, but an A* is an A*.

I'm sorry but the RG Unis don't usually go through clear (especially Law). QM is really popular for it Law degree, so I think they won't go through clearing - for Law at least.

What's your other option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
AnonG
Rep:
?
(Original post by EcstaZEEH)
Hi, I attended a QM open day before. Apparently, the LLB program is really really competitive (6:1 - I think) and some people who do not meet the offer gets rerouted to the BA program (I think).

They're lenient in terms of a couple of UMS off. To be honest, they actually like students who didn't take Law A levels, but an A* is an A*.

I'm sorry but the RG Unis don't usually go through clear (especially Law). QM is really popular for it Law degree, so I think they won't go through clearing - for Law at least.

What's your other option?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your reply, really helpful. So do you think it's unlikely I'd be accepted? For the BA Law and Politics, do you think I have a chance for that?

It's sad law is unlikely to be in clearing this year, I was really hoping it would be. But if the BA is then that's fine with me but I'm unsure it would be as it's still law (but with politics)
Jojoestar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AnonG)
Thanks for your reply, really helpful. So do you think it's unlikely I'd be accepted? For the BA Law and Politics, do you think I have a chance for that?

It's sad law is unlikely to be in clearing this year, I was really hoping it would be. But if the BA is then that's fine with me but I'm unsure it would be as it's still law (but with politics)

LLB Law at QMUL still seems to be in extra which may imply they didn't send out enough offers so who knows. I'm wondering the same thing for Economics.
AnonG
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jojoestar)
LLB Law at QMUL still seems to be in extra which may imply they didn't send out enough offers so who knows. I'm wondering the same thing for Economics.
Wow, if it's in extra then that keeps my hopes up a little . Let's hope both law and economics are in clearing this year.
username616640
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I do a LLB course at QM. The entry requirement was A*AA, but I got AAA and they let me in. I do know someone who got into LLB law through clearing last year, but only a few are so lucky! BA Law and Politics only takes in a few students, I think there's only about 10 in my year?
AnonG
Rep:
?
(Original post by superxo2)
Hi, I do a LLB course at QM. The entry requirement was A*AA, but I got AAA and they let me in. I do know someone who got into LLB law through clearing last year, but only a few are so lucky! BA Law and Politics only takes in a few students, I think there's only about 10 in my year?
Oh that seems tough. I guess I'm not even worth considering ! And 10 students? Wow, are you sure the BA only takes in a few students or is it just not that much of a competitive course?
i-love-coffee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by superxo2)
What grades did they get in with through clearing?
Patrick121294
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm hoping to do Geography, I need a B in Geography and I was only 6 UMS points of a B last time... if I'm a couple of points off this time do you think I'd get in? It's not so competitive...
i-love-coffee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Patrick121294)
I'm hoping to do Geography, I need a B in Geography and I was only 6 UMS points of a B last time... if I'm a couple of points off this time do you think I'd get in? It's not so competitive...
Is it BA or BSc?
i-love-coffee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AnonG)
Wow, if it's in extra then that keeps my hopes up a little . Let's hope both law and economics are in clearing this year.
Was so confused last year because Law was in extra and clearing, but my friend who had AAA asked to go through clearing and they said they were only taking A*AA. :/

(note: he wouldn't tell me what his a-levels were, so perhaps if they were things such as art, sociology and music or something then maybe they still wouldn't think it enough to have AAA... and before anyone jumps down my throat, i'm not saying these subjects are easy or 'soft', they're just not good together in preparation for a law degree)
Patrick121294
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by i-love-coffee)
Is it BA or BSc?
BA
i-love-coffee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
BA
On the website it says 300 UCAS, will you make that even without a B in your A Level?
Procrastination1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I have a friend that got into QMUL for LLB Law with AAB.. QM is popular for law but it does actually go into clearing every year though there might not be many spaces. I would advise anyone going through clearing to call twice. Reason being when one of my friends called they said the requirements were AAA then another one of my friends called exactly two mins later and spoke to another woman and she said AAB would be fine. I would just encourage you to try your luck, it may just depend on the person answering the call..
i-love-coffee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Procrastination1)
Hi I have a friend that got into QMUL for LLB Law with AAB.. QM is popular for law but it does actually go into clearing every year though there might not be many spaces. I would advise anyone going through clearing to call twice. Reason being when one of my friends called they said the requirements were AAA then another one of my friends called exactly two mins later and spoke to another woman and she said AAB would be fine. I would just encourage you to try your luck, it may just depend on the person answering the call..
was this last year?
Patrick121294
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by i-love-coffee)
On the website it says 300 UCAS, will you make that even without a B in your A Level?
Probably
emmaw15138
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in the same position... I got BBC in AS, unfortunately with the C in Geography.. I was a single raw mark off a B. My offer from Queen Mary is 300 points with a B in Geography (to do BA Geography) but I'm so worried I'll mess it up again. I have spoken to admissions and they said they will consider people who drop a grade because they often accept people who miss the offer by 20 UCAS points. They basically said try not to worry because they'll look at each application individually.
roxb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It genuinely depends on who you are with QM. I got in through clearing last year, but was extremely lucky... it was only through perseverance and determination.The courses and teachers are genuinely fantastic so it was definitely worth the few days of agonizing and stress. I do have a couple of friends on the law course and they all got the grades or maybe dropped one grade in one subject, but generally if you drop more than that they will withdraw your offer and give it to someone else. (if you already have an offer) But having said that clearing is all about how you present yourself on the phone on the day, and generally if you have ok grades you definitely have a shot.
Patrick121294
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emmaw15138)
I'm in the same position... I got BBC in AS, unfortunately with the C in Geography.. I was a single raw mark off a B. My offer from Queen Mary is 300 points with a B in Geography (to do BA Geography) but I'm so worried I'll mess it up again. I have spoken to admissions and they said they will consider people who drop a grade because they often accept people who miss the offer by 20 UCAS points. They basically said try not to worry because they'll look at each application individually.
Well I hope to see you there! Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Queen Mary University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads