The Student Room Group

Not sure what is going on with my teeth

So for a while I neglected my teeth, it was because I was depressed and couldn't really be bothered to do much apart from sit in bed. In february I went to the dentist, he had to give me a filling in one tooth and said my gums were bad as they were bleeding. He told me to use a medium toothbrush as apparently soft ones are for old people or something? Anyway, since then I have been really caring for my teeth, brushing 3 times a day, flossing x1 and mouthwash x1. But my gums still appear to be in bad shape. I don't think I brush very hard,but I still have a red gum line in some parts (which I thought meant gingivitis?). And randomly, bits are bleeding, even though I have brushed them and made sure to keep them clean. I started to use corsodyl because I was worried that my gums were still in bad shape. But then I physically watched myself in the mirror lightly brush my gum ( and it bled, could it be the fact that my toothbrush is too hard? I did a little research and most people suggested a soft toothbrush. I just find it odd and pretty concerning that nearly 3 months later my gums still don't seem to be great, at the front they appear pretty pink, but they just seem to bleed randomly and I have no clue what is going on! Does anyone have any ideas? Because I only seem to brushing lightly and then my gums bleed :frown:
I think that maybe you need to start flossing too, when you brush your teeth, not everything wedged between your teeth gets taken out with it. By the way are you using a manual toothbrush? Maybe you should consider investing in an electronic one as it helps get rid of everything and anything, you can get a toothbrush which tells you when you're applying too much pressure to your teeth and gums, like I do, it really does help. I had gingivitus too, and they gave me mouthwash and special toothpaste and told me to get an electric toothbrush, and ever since then I haven't had any problems with my teeth :smile:
Could be gum disease, I have no idea if it goes away or whatever I'd look it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Brush your teeth not your gums.
Reply 4
Original post by noobynoo
Brush your teeth not your gums.
real talk
Original post by Anonymous
So for a while I neglected my teeth, it was because I was depressed and couldn't really be bothered to do much apart from sit in bed. In february I went to the dentist, he had to give me a filling in one tooth and said my gums were bad as they were bleeding. He told me to use a medium toothbrush as apparently soft ones are for old people or something? Anyway, since then I have been really caring for my teeth, brushing 3 times a day, flossing x1 and mouthwash x1. But my gums still appear to be in bad shape. I don't think I brush very hard,but I still have a red gum line in some parts (which I thought meant gingivitis?). And randomly, bits are bleeding, even though I have brushed them and made sure to keep them clean. I started to use corsodyl because I was worried that my gums were still in bad shape. But then I physically watched myself in the mirror lightly brush my gum ( and it bled, could it be the fact that my toothbrush is too hard? I did a little research and most people suggested a soft toothbrush. I just find it odd and pretty concerning that nearly 3 months later my gums still don't seem to be great, at the front they appear pretty pink, but they just seem to bleed randomly and I have no clue what is going on! Does anyone have any ideas? Because I only seem to brushing lightly and then my gums bleed :frown:

If you haven't brushed properly in a long time and have weak gums, and THEN all of a sudden start excessively brushing then it might make them even weaker. Try using a softer brush and see if it has a difference. They're not exclusively for old people :wink: Even I've used them at times.

Try some warm salt water (preferably sea salt mixed in hot -not boiling- water). Swirl it around and spit it out after 30 seconds. That helps sooth it :smile:

I've heard lemon juice mixed with salt is also good but I don't think it's ideal for me to give out remedies. But try the salt water :smile:

Hope it gets better soon

Quick Reply

Latest