Turn on thread page Beta

Built To Last watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

The Conservative Mini Manifesto could easily be Red or Yellow rather than Blue. That aside I think it’s a good effort. The conservative core vote won’t be happy but at least he’s putting something on the table.

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Gotta say, sounds bloody good to me:

# Flatter and simpler" taxes and deregulation for industry. De regulation is usually good, but we can't really comment until we hear some specifics - same on the tax.

# Reducing means testing for pensioners, paid for by raising the retirement age Hmm, not really sure why he's doing this.

# A "huge increase" in drug rehabilitation places for young offenders. Are drugs really that big of a problem?

# "Binding annual targets" for carbon emissions. Can't say I disagree, assuming they aren't too unrealistic.

# Ending the "culture of top down centralisation and targets" in the NHS Booya, excellent.

# More "streaming and setting" in schools. Well, I support Grammar schools. Apparently Dave doesn't, but Streaming is good too.

# Creating a "unified border police" and a homeland security minister. Good. We should have more information over our own border and who crosses it illegally.

# A New Bill of Rights to replace the Human Rights Act Good stuff.

# Scrapping the government's proposed ID card scheme and unelected regional assembliesBOOYA.

ReputationRep:
    The Mini Manefesto looks v.good (Finally something that distinguishes us from labour). All he has to do now is KEEP TO THEM.

I agree with all of the menefesto points, but he has to convince the public and tell them these new policy changes.

The next PMQ's should be v.good. :rolleyes: (Whenever that is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafzal)
    The Mini Manefesto looks v.good (Finally something that distinguishes us from labour). All he has to do now is KEEP TO THEM.

I agree with all of the menefesto points, but he has to convince the public and tell them these new policy changes.

The next PMQ's should be v.good. :rolleyes: (Whenever that is)
    Distinguishes you from Tony Blair’s Labour party slightly, well this might be news to you but Tony Blair isn’t fighting the next general election and Gordon Brown is likely to be. I’ve read through it and it’s the same old Tory spiel, the past three conservative leaders have basically advacated most what’s being offered and Labour won three terms in office.

David Cameron has turned the conservative party in to a populist laughing stock for all most a year. Now he’s finally come out with some firm policy direction two or three years before a general election doesn’t that seem a tad stupid? When Tony Blair steps down if these policys are popular with the public Labour will merely put a new spin on them.

Dave's using the opportunity afforded by returning from his hols before Tony to take 'the stage'.

One question I would ask is, exactly how far does his 'reducing' means testing for pensioners go?

Is he saying he'll reduce bits and pieces of means testing or is he eradicating means testing overall? Unless he is doing the latter, why is there a need to increase the retirement age to pay for it?

These politicians are crafty gits - it's all in the ambiguous wording.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't the Bill of Rights idea already been widely rubbished by nearly every lawyer and constitutional expert?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Hasn't the Bill of Rights idea already been widely rubbished by nearly every lawyer and constitutional expert?
    Yes it has. But its one of the few things that makes the Torys differnt thats why i think he wants to keep it.

ReputationRep:
    I quite like the document on the whole. There are a few things missed out, but generally it's positive.

As for the 'Bill of Rights' - well, it's not so much the thing itself that is being rubbished, just its potential contents. I like the ECHR (ie, the HRA 1998) and I don't see exactly what a natively British equivilent could do differently.

One small issue about the foreword however - on one hand the idea that society is different from state (which I support fully) is mention, and on the other is a support for an idea of 'nation-state'. From my perspective, one contradicts the other. I do not support the idea of nation-states nor do I think the UK ever has been one or should ever endeavour to be one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiel)
    Distinguishes you from Tony Blair’s Labour party slightly, well this might be news to you but Tony Blair isn’t fighting the next general election and Gordon Brown is likely to be. I’ve read through it and it’s the same old Tory spiel, the past three conservative leaders have basically advacated most what’s being offered and Labour won three terms in office.

David Cameron has turned the conservative party in to a populist laughing stock for all most a year. Now he’s finally come out with some firm policy direction two or three years before a general election doesn’t that seem a tad stupid? When Tony Blair steps down if these policys are popular with the public Labour will merely put a new spin on them.
    Firstly, I never said anything about Tony Blair, I said Labour (I know they're v.similar but thank god their not the same :p: )

You seem very keen on dismissing the relative success of Cameron., I guess you need reminding the last general election results:

Labour: ZERO GAINS - 47 LOSS

Conservative: 36 GAINS - 3 LOSS - oh, deary me! What a difference!

How about Local elections:

Labour: 68 COUNCILS - 1830 COUNCILLORS (GAIN OF 11 COUNCILS AND 316 COUNCILLORS)

Conservative: 30 COUNCILS - 1439 COUNCILLORS (LOSS OF 17 COUNCILS AND 319 COUNCILLORS)

Before you start attacking the conservative performance look at Labour's. It's embarrassing.

And if Gordon Brown is going to take over the mess of a government .. o my .. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    But governments always do badly at local and by-elcetions.

ReputationRep:

Before you start attacking the conservative performance look at Labour's. It's embarrassing.

And if Gordon Brown is going to take over the mess of a government .. o my .. :eek:
    A historic third term in office embarrassing? :confused:

Its not that I don't like the new tory mini manifesto, I can't see anything that differnt, Hoaward and Hague said basicly the same thing and they got defeated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    But governments always do badly at local and by-elcetions.
    I agree to some extent, But Labour loss was one of the biggest in history -> This shows that people wern't happy with them.

The general elections showed that people won't put up with a crummy out-of-touch government. The next election (2010 i believe) will be the ultimate test for Labour. They certainly won't get a majority. It'll either be a hung or a tory parliament. (hopefully the latter :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    A historic third term in office embarrassing? :confused:

Its not that I don't like the new tory mini manifesto, I can't see anything that differnt, Hoaward and Hague said basicly the same thing and they got defeated.
    Hoaward is spelt Howard.

I didn't say a thing about a third term being embarrassing. The embarrassing thing was the major loss that they suffered. Nevertheless, had Howard been more assertive and more of a leader-figure the result would had been much tighter.

The biggest difference is that people are recognising that the conservatives are more than the stereotypical "posh" party but a major contender for the next general election. And so far ... I think were doing well.

ReputationRep:
    I agree to some extent, But Labour loss was one of the biggest in history -> This shows that people wern't happy with them.
    And yet they weren’t desperate enough to vote tory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromley...election,_2006
    Oh dear, lets hope for your sake that isn’t repeated more severely.

ReputationRep:
    And yet they weren’t desperate enough to vote tory.

Oh dear, lets hope for your sake that isn’t repeated more severely.
    LMAO! What's with you? WE STILL HELD ON TO THE SEAT! That's more than you can say. That's not even a good example. :p:

ReputationRep:
    LMAO! What's with you? WE STILL HELD ON TO THE SEAT! That's more than you can say. That's not even a good example. :p:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/vote2005/html/101.stm
    If that’s the affect David Cameron has in tory heart lands then I think its something you can do without. It’s an excellent example which shows that the core tory vote doesn’t like what their seeing. If the Labour party had an inkling of the amount of decent in tory ranks as well as their own then they would simply asked Labour voters to vote Liberal. If Labour run a quiet campaign in Liberal Tory Marginials or even run a campaign that blatently a tells Labour voters to vote Liberal the you’re in a lot of trouble.

Read the times political review. David Cameron and the revamped tory party hasn’t had any noticeable effect with labour party support in winnable seats. He has made the tory party a lot more popular in areas they already have seats which is useless.

This isn’t want this thread is about so kindly gaze into your crystal ball closer to the general election.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.