Want more information about this university?

Shared vs Ensuite? Is shared that bad? - late accommodation application

Watch
GoatfromMaroc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey people

Could you please advise me? I'm just in the process of applying for UG student accommodation today at Queen Mary Uni of London, and rang up the admissions/residence support.

Initially I was hoping to apply for ensuite but have SINGLE sex (shared) for backup... me being silly I didn't realise this wasn't an option. You have to either choose one or the other (so if you apply for ensuite and don't get it, and they give you MIXED shared instead, you have to stick with it).
The advisor said that the chance of me receiving ensuite at this stage will be pretty low, since the application is so late.

I really don't want to risk losing the chance of a single mixed accommodation, so it seems to be the most sensible option to apply for single instead (not ensuite).

However, could someone please share the advantages/disadvantages of sharing bathrooms/showers at uni? I'm trying to picture what it could be like but it doesn't seem to work. The upside is that it is much cheaper, especially living in London. Can someone reassure me it's not as bad as people say? What are the realities?

Thanks
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends massively on the people you live with, the facilities themselves, and services like cleaning.

I had an en suite at Warwick, a cleaner came once a week (which I found quite intrusive but hey, I didn't have to clean it myself), and my friends in shared had cleaners in anywhere between once and three times a week to clean the bathroom. Most of them had "4 to a bathroom" or "6 to a bathroom" which in reality was X loos and X bath/shower rooms shared between X people....more people to share with, but you could have a shower even if one was already in use. One of them (and my bf in Manchester had the same setup) had a room with three cubicled showers in, and then a room with 3/4 cubicled loos. I hated it, and think people are generally less-inclined to keep such things clean, because the alternatives are immediately adjacent.

It sounds horrible, but some international students do have lower standards of cleanliness. My bf's loos even had signs telling people that they needed to flush the loos because apparently some people don't do that... Generally you're unlikely to have any real nightmares unless you have someone who's just an idiot anyway, but if you're responsible yourselves for cleaning, an en suite is definitely going to be preferable. Who wants to clean someone else's pubes out of a shared shower, even if they only do it once a month on rotation?!
1drowssap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GoatfromMaroc)
Hey people

Could you please advise me? I'm just in the process of applying for UG student accommodation today at Queen Mary Uni of London, and rang up the admissions/residence support.

Initially I was hoping to apply for ensuite but have SINGLE sex (shared) for backup... me being silly I didn't realise this wasn't an option. You have to either choose one or the other (so if you apply for ensuite and don't get it, and they give you MIXED shared instead, you have to stick with it).
The advisor said that the chance of me receiving ensuite at this stage will be pretty low, since the application is so late.

I really don't want to risk losing the chance of a single mixed accommodation, so it seems to be the most sensible option to apply for single instead (not ensuite).

However, could someone please share the advantages/disadvantages of sharing bathrooms/showers at uni? I'm trying to picture what it could be like but it doesn't seem to work. The upside is that it is much cheaper, especially living in London. Can someone reassure me it's not as bad as people say? What are the realities?

Thanks
Haha. Did exactly the same thing. If you don't get ensuite, and get a shared, it means you get a cleaner to clean the toilets for you, instead of cleaning it yourself.
I'm guessing you're a girl, which may explain the worry. I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but if I'm correct, you may still benefit from your choice. Let's say you share a flat with 6 people, 3 guys and 3 girls, it would mean that you only share the bathroom with 2 other girls. Whereas, if it is a single sex accommodation, you'd be sharing the bathroom with 5 other girls, which increases the chances of the toilet being dirtier.
DollyG
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GoatfromMaroc)
Hey people

Thanks
Queen Mary has cleaners for communal areas, so you won't be picking up after other people. So it shouldn't be too bad living without en-suite. I would personally go for that option, because I think ending up with single-sex would be incredibly boring. Not sure about guys, but with girls, it could also be really *****y.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (609)
33.76%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (756)
41.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.43%

Watched Threads