The Student Room Group

Shared vs Ensuite? Is shared that bad? - late accommodation application

Hey people! (Posted on the QMUL forum so sorry if you've seen this twice!)

Could you please advise me? I'm just in the process of applying for UG student accommodation today at Queen Mary Uni of London, and rang up the admissions/residence support.

Initially I was hoping to apply for ensuite but have SINGLE sex (shared) for backup... me being silly I didn't realise this wasn't an option. You have to either choose one or the other (so if you apply for ensuite and don't get it, and they give you MIXED shared instead, you have to stick with it).
The advisor said that the chance of me receiving ensuite at this stage will be pretty low, since the application is so late.

I really don't want to risk losing the chance of a single mixed accommodation, so it seems to be the most sensible option to apply for single instead (not ensuite).

However, could someone please share the advantages/disadvantages of sharing bathrooms/showers at uni? I'm trying to picture what it could be like but it doesn't seem to work. The upside is that it is much cheaper, especially living in London. Can someone reassure me it's not as bad as people say? What are the realities?

Thanks in advance
Really shared is not bad at all, I lived in shared this year and seeing other people pay so much more for en suite seemed ridiculous and they complained of not having money left over...

So long as people keep it clean it is fine, I lived in an all girls flat and our bathrooms were always clean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending