The Student Room Group

Integrate e^-5

How is it e^-5/-1? Shouldn't it be simply e^-5 cause the differential of -5 is 0? Can't get my head around this
1/4 e^-4
Original post by lilypear
1/4 e^-4

Wat. e=exponential function, not x.
Original post by JacobAlevels
Wat. e=exponential function, not x.

Wat
Wat

Well you can't integrate e like you'd integrate x..
How is it e^-5/-1? Shouldn't it be simply e^-5 cause the differential of -5 is 0? Can't get my head around this

What is the question:confused: is it the integral of e^-5x if so then thats -(e^-5x)/5 +C.
Oh sorry, it's actually e^-s, not e^-5. Sorry lol

It's very important when asking questions here to double check to make sure you have typed the question exactly as asked if you want useful answers.

The integral of e^-s with respect to s is simply -e^-s.

Next time tell us what you are integrating with respect to and also try to read the question properly!
1/4 e^-4

That's so wrong it's frightening.
Original post by Mr M
That's so wrong it's frightening.

Please forgive me :P I wasn't paying attention xD
Reply 11

So what are you integrating with respect to?

If you're integrating w.r.t.s then the answer will be es+c-e^{-s} + c exactly as if you were integrating exe^{-x} w.r.t.x.

(You really need to be a bit more precise when asking things like this, otherwise people go chasing round in all directions trying to integrate irrelevant functions! :smile: )

I=es ds=s=xex dx= \displaystyle \begin{aligned} I & = \int e^{-s} \text{ d}s \\ & \overset{-s = x}= - \int e^{x} \text{ d}x \\ & = \ \dots \end{aligned}

Quick Reply

Latest