The Education System Makes No Sense... Change It! Watch

0xygen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
1 - Why does a grade on a piece of paper determine if we're successful or not? How would knowing integration or properties of circles benefit me in life? Its something i'll study for one year then forget it the next.... Also, why do we study for 3-4 years at uni in order to get a job? Surely, one with hands on experience is much more qualified than one that has read books.

If you're going to work in a field like mechanical engineering, you'll definitely gain more knowledge from experience than from reading books. Medicine and science related courses like Chemistry or biology are Obviously different than a course like Computer Science.

2 - Never mind this one

3 - Why do we have to learn subjects that are totally useless? This is just a waste of time and is inefficient. For example, we were forced to study Religious Education and Art. Why? I don't like Art and I certainly hated Religious Education... So, why did I have to study these for like 4 years? Also, why is it that I have to learn English literature with Language? This makes no sense.

4 - Why do examiners look for key words... For example, I lose many marks on stuff like "You didn't write this was a LONG TERM SOLUTION" instead, I wrote "This is only a short term solution"... WTF??? ARE EXAM BOARDS THAT STUPID?

Or, you'll lose marks on saying words like "fast" when they want you to say "rapid"... Why? This makes no sense, they're synonyms for eachother.

In maths, examiners like it when you state the equation you're going to use. For example, stationary points:

dy/dx = 0 will get you a mark... Why? You're obviously going to use it when answering the question, why do I have to write it first?

Business and Economics, why do I have to memorize key words and their definitions... When am I EVER gonna want to know how to define the term Employee? As long as you know what it means, you're fine in the real world. Also, why would I lose all marks if I miss out key words or substitute them for synonyms when stating a definition? They look for SPECIFIC words that are apparently god-sent and are written in the Education Koran therefore can not be changed.

5 - Why does the exam board ask you to memorise the FULL syllabus, then only ask you about 1/5th of it? So... I waste a whole year learning to build a house, only to get asked to install a window? Whats the point?

In English Lang we were asked to memorise like 50 theories, but you only make reference to 3-4 in the exam. What is the point in this? When would I ever need to know about theorists and theories after English A2? I'm never gonna study them again...

TBH, this education system is going down the drain.
RHyoudon'kno
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry, it's so long, I only read the last line. All I'm gonna say is that I totally agree with you.
0xygen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by RHyoudon'kno)
Sorry, it's so long, I only read the last line. All I'm gonna say is that I totally agree with you.
Lol. I'm pretty sure 90% of people in England agree... Wait no, there will be a bunch of people that hate the British system but will pretend to like it anyway.
LeaX
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The main thing that annoys me is the fact we're all told that we must get good grades and go to university so everyone starts to work harder and consequently we do well which they then call 'grade inflation'. So they rise the grade boundaries and make the questions more difficult.

Every past paper for biology, chemistry and physics a-level you can see this happening. In 2009ish they were straight forward and easy, and they've progressively gotten harder and harder. In the past papers you can see my marks get lower and lower with each exam series. Now you look at papers and you can see where they're trying to catch students out rather than testing their knowledge. Sometimes it seems they're not just testing my knowledge but also testing my verbal comprehension and ability to detect tiny details which the majority of students will over-look.

We should not be being punished for working harder.

Sorry for the rant but it makes me soo angry, especially when you hear adults talking about how easy it is to get A grades. Ha...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (106)
17.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (64)
10.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.56%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.96%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed