Best Online Service to back up Files?

Watch
L'Etudiant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello everybody,

I have recently started to look into back up solutions for my files and wanted some advice in regards to what would be best for me. I have over 3TB of Home videos, pictures, music and wanted a safe but efficient way to back it up.

Could somebody please recommend a decent service? How about this one? It seems pretty good for Unlimited storage at less than £40 per year.
AdampskiB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L'Etudiant)
Hello everybody,

I have recently started to look into back up solutions for my files and wanted some advice in regards to what would be best for me. I have over 3TB of Home videos, pictures, music and wanted a safe but efficient way to back it up.

Could somebody please recommend a decent service? How about this one? It seems pretty good for Unlimited storage at less than £40 per year.
Have you considered local storage for that large capacity? NAS boxes?
L'Etudiant
Rep:
?
(Original post by AdampskiB)
Have you considered local storage for that large capacity? NAS boxes?
I already have one, I just want an online service in case my drives at home fail, I'll cry if I lose 10 years worth of pictures and videos!
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I already have one, I just want an online service in case my drives at home fail, I'll cry if I lose 10 years worth of pictures and videos!
Could set up a RAID unit. Uploading 3TB and subsequent photos thereafter will be bandwidth costly. Plus, running a RAID1 will cost less :-)
L'Etudiant
Rep:
?
Could set up a RAID unit. Uploading 3TB and subsequent photos thereafter will be bandwidth costly. Plus, running a RAID1 will cost less :-)
I don't mind about the Bandwidth tbh. I am aware it will take ages to upload but I have 12mbps upload so it shouldn't be that bad? I would like another 3TB drive but that seems to be more expensive than 1 year of the several online services :P
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't mind about the Bandwidth tbh. I am aware it will take ages to upload but I have 12mbps upload so it shouldn't be that bad? I would like another 3TB drive but that seems to be more expensive than 1 year of the several online services :P
3TB of data and 1.5MB/s upload? lol

It would be cheaper, easier and quicker to RAID0 with another 3TB drive.
L'Etudiant
Rep:
?

lol, I know :P Well, I shall look into that then, thanks
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lol, I know :P Well, I shall look into that then, thanks
If you are still persistent on cloud storage, I think Google Drive are offering seriously competitive prices.
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I really hope you don't mean RAID0 as that gives zero protection. In terms of loosing data it's actually worse than having two separate drives (if one drive in the raid0 fails you loose all the data even if the other drives are good). Also raid is not the same as backups. Even with raid1 it's possible to loose all the data due to filesystem corruption, theft, accidental deletion (I lost both drives in a raid1 array last year. Luckily no real data loss as the data was also backed up onto something different but it took a while to recover what was lost).

My home storage solution consists of three parts. Raid1/Raid5 arrays for live data. Important data is backed up to a cloud backup provider (Crashplan). The majority of the other data is then synced onto one of a pair of 3TB USB drives and only one of those drives is at home at a time. This means if the worst happens and I loose all my machines at home I can recover anything important quickly and to a recent version from the cloud backup provider. Other stuff (music/ films/ other data) can be recovered from whichever 3TB drive was not in my home.
AdampskiB
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mfaxford)
I really hope you don't mean RAID0 as that gives zero protection. In terms of loosing data it's actually worse than having two separate drives (if one drive in the raid0 fails you loose all the data even if the other drives are good). Also raid is not the same as backups. Even with raid1 it's possible to loose all the data due to filesystem corruption, theft, accidental deletion (I lost both drives in a raid1 array last year. Luckily no real data loss as the data was also backed up onto something different but it took a while to recover what was lost).

My home storage solution consists of three parts. Raid1/Raid5 arrays for live data. Important data is backed up to a cloud backup provider (Crashplan). The majority of the other data is then synced onto one of a pair of 3TB USB drives and only one of those drives is at home at a time. This means if the worst happens and I loose all my machines at home I can recover anything important quickly and to a recent version from the cloud backup provider. Other stuff (music/ films/ other data) can be recovered from whichever 3TB drive was not in my home.
Forgive the typo, the previous post before my one actually said RAID1. Must have had a moment of confusion.
benplumley
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you have access to another physical location, it's definitely going to be cheaper to host your own storage. Buy a NAS and an RPi and get Bittorrent Sync, the initial indexing will take forever but after that it's pretty much perfect.
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Amazon Glacier is very cheap for archiving (hours retrieval time, but dirt cheap), but with 3TB that's still $30/month.

Do you REALLY need all that 3TB backed up offsite? Is all of that irreplaceable content?

I have about 2TB of data, but only about 100GB of irreplaceable content (videos I shot, photos, etc). The rest, it would be a pain in the rear end if I lose it, but it's not a big deal (movies, music, etc).

I put the 1.9TB in RAID-1 at home to protect against drive failures, but that's it.

For the important 100GB, I run my own Dropbox-like server in Amazon EC2, with daily differential backup to Amazon Glacier.

£40/year for unlimited storage sounds suspicious. Storage is expensive, instantly-accessible storage even more so, and redundant storage even more so.

Amazon S3 charges $0.03/GB/mo, which for 3TB would be about $1000/year. How is it possible that they can do it for £40?

It's possible that they just think the average of all users will turn out to be less, but if you actually store 3TB on there they will be losing a lot of money for you, and they will probably find an excuse to kick you out or something.
anke07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think that the online service to backup files is bad, very bad. I always use recovery tools that works very fine and are free or cheap.
alexw2150
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I currently use a 6TB microserver as a backup, which is updated every week or so, then a 10TB backup for the backup, which is updated every couple of months or so and should (emphasis on should..) be located outside the house. I then use Dropbox for small files, such as images for my blog and files that are too large to attach by E-mail.
RussCr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think its a good idea to have your backup online as well. I tried a few of them but not great. I cam e across these guys a couple of months ago and they look ok so far.

zipdogg.com
I paid 10bucks for the year but I think you can try for free too. will let you know if I have any problems
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads