The Student Room Group

Is biology fake?

It's all so intricate and specific that I think maybe it isn't true; it seems a possibility that someone made it all up in order to stop people questioning deeper things. Why should ordinary people believe that cells have a golgi apparatus, or that a simple piece of bread is made up of some proper complex chemicals and stuff?

People will argue that biological theories are true because they make sense, that they explain life...but plenty of things can be used to explain life. How do we know that chicken contains such tiny things, and instead isn't just made of chicken? Yeah we can look down a microscope, but if an average person looked down a microscope they wouldn't be able to make 'sense' of it. It would just be colours and blobs. They're pressured into believing that what they see represents something more, so maybe microscope experts have been doing it for so long that their brain just makes them see what they're seeing and to keep them sane they tell themselves that what they're looking at isn't *just* chicken?

I'm only considering this theory because I regret taking biology and I want to justify my failure in it :P but maybe I'm right?

Scroll to see replies

Sure, why not.
The truth is that the only way to find out if it's fake is to become a biologist and undermine this conspiracy...you should still revise it for your exams though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
yep, it is a lie made by the devil to make us doubt God. Or you know, not that.
Reply 4
Original post by GCSEsitter
The truth is that the only way to find out if it's fake is to become a biologist and undermine this conspiracy...you should still revise it for your exams though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but to become a biologist I'd have to believe in it. It's like becoming the pope, it'd be really difficult if you weren't religious. I can see your point but I'm worried that if I spend so long doing it then I'll get sucked in and no longer have an open-mind about it :/
A friend of mine uses the same argument to justify a belief in some kind of crazy pseudoreligious cult/lifestyle system. She thinks science is a huge conspiracy being used to make life easier for people, because they couldn't handle the truth (which essentially involves humans having 'lives' as rocks, clouds and other bull****).

On balance, I think sciences are probably quite truthful, but of course 99% of the science anyone will know is what someone else tells them, so who knows.
Reply 6
Original post by lucaf
yep, it is a lie made by the devil to make us doubt God. Or you know, not that.

When I was younger, I was pressured into believing in God by others who believe. Now I feel like the same is happening again, just with science this time :| but I do admire biologists because despite it's flaws, it does have practical use (e.g. creating medicine, saving lives). But then again back in the past religion was believed to do those things (pray to the trees, have skin as strong as bark when going to war etc.). I'm just so confused :s
are you being serious?
If I'm honest, you just sound in denial. Good luck with your exams :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by vineyard13
are you being serious?

I'm just considering it, that's all. I think it's important to think about things from a different perspective. We're all lead to believe that's it's true, but what if it isn't?

In my personal opinion I am on the side of biology, but I wanted to hear arguments for and against so that I could keep an open mind. Most people won't even entertain the thought though
Reply 10
well at least it was a unique idea, no-one else is able to give it some logical thought :P
I think there are some aspects which are true and some false. I do not accept the current theory of evolution but think that stuff like global warming etc is true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by louieee
When I was younger, I was pressured into believing in God by others who believe. Now I feel like the same is happening again, just with science this time :| but I do admire biologists because despite it's flaws, it does have practical use (e.g. creating medicine, saving lives). But then again back in the past religion was believed to do those things (pray to the trees, have skin as strong as bark when going to war etc.). I'm just so confused :s

the difference between science and biology is that you can go out and test most of science yourself
Reply 13
Original post by GCSEsitter
I think there are some aspects which are true and some false. I do not accept the current theory of evolution but think that stuff like global warming etc is true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I mean I fully accept everything to do with ecosystems and all the larger scale stuff, but in my opinion it's important to just consider that maybe some things need to be questioned. At the moment I do believe that the majority of the things we know are correct, but I realise that it can be quite foolish to just accept something because someone tells you to (people never used to believe in organs because the bible told them not to).

I know my post comes across as quite uneducated, but honestly I'm only trying to grasp a better understanding of the world
Original post by louieee
It's all so intricate and specific that I think maybe it isn't true; it seems a possibility that someone made it all up in order to stop people questioning deeper things. Why should ordinary people believe that cells have a golgi apparatus, or that a simple piece of bread is made up of some proper complex chemicals and stuff?

People will argue that biological theories are true because they make sense, that they explain life...but plenty of things can be used to explain life. How do we know that chicken contains such tiny things, and instead isn't just made of chicken? Yeah we can look down a microscope, but if an average person looked down a microscope they wouldn't be able to make 'sense' of it. It would just be colours and blobs. They're pressured into believing that what they see represents something more, so maybe microscope experts have been doing it for so long that their brain just makes them see what they're seeing and to keep them sane they tell themselves that what they're looking at isn't *just* chicken?

I'm only considering this theory because I regret taking biology and I want to justify my failure in it :P but maybe I'm right?

People did just "make up" biological concepts, but not to stop people questioning, but to explain the phenomenon observed in experiments. If you study the Golgi apparatus and believe you have a better theory to explain the observations, then this is your right, and is how science develops if your theory can make testable predictions.

Science is an evolving endeavor and usually scientific theories are wrong explanations that evolve to become less wrong explanations over time.
Biology is God's Technology !!!!

Take a look at Oxidative Phosphorylation and Chemiosmosis. Rather than just burning sugars inside of our bodies like a mere coal engine; God made it so that we release its energy on a complex managed scale. It harvests the energy of sugars and fats so it precisely; per 3 hydrogen ions in fact, as they pass through the ATP synthase molecule to synthesize ATP.

Please stop chatting the waste products: of Ultrafiltration, Selective Reabsorption, HairPin Counter Counter multiplier, Loop of Henle Water Reabsorption/salt concentration, (go easy on the Antidiuretic Hormone) few Aquaporins, through the ureter into the bladder.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Bullet Knuckle

Take a look at Oxidative Phosphorylation and Chemiosmosis. Rather than just burning sugars inside of our bodies like a mere coal engine; God made it so that we release its energy on a complex managed scale. It harvests the energy of sugars and fats so it precisely; per 3 hydrogen ions in fact, as they pass through the ATP synthase molecule to synthesize ATP.

Please stop chatting the waste products: of Ultrafiltration, Selective Reabsorption, HairPin Counter Counter multiplier, Loop of Henle Water Reabsorption/salt concentration, (go easy on the Antidiuretic Hormone) few Aquaporins, through the ureter into the bladder.

Spoiler

what
Reply 17
Original post by Bullet Knuckle

Spoiler

If biology is gods tech he must be on a 1980's pc using internet explorer, humans suffer degrading diseases such as cancer all the time. God needs to update
Definitely a fake science if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Latest