Barratts Shoe Shop Watch

prettyblueeyes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi
I'm 16 at the end of this month, and going to 6th form in September. I'm looking for a part time job somewhere and asked in the local-ish Barratts today on the chance they had any vacancies. The girl said they had 4 hours on a Saturday, and on Monday and Wednesdays too.

Apparently you just have to hand in your CV and no application form filling in or anything.

Will I be able to start there (should I get the job) before I'm 16 (bday is end of august) and roughly how much will i get paid if I do saturday and one evening, or saturday and 2 evenings?

Any good points of the company? Staff discount lol?

Also, I've not written a CV before, what do i need to include? I want to hand the cv in soon as i've written it, but i only have predicted grades for my gcses which might be better than the real things! do i put those down? what else should i include?

Thanks in advance x
Montrose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Heya. I don't know company specifics, so apologies for not providing those.

You can start before you're 16 if you have a National Insurance number. Some people get them a couple of months before their birthday, but you need it for tax purposes.

Pay: obviously it is company specific, but if you are under 18 I imagine it will be between £4-4.50 an hour. This may go up after 3 months or a probation period. Again though, this is a guess.

Things to include on a CV: all your personal details (name, address, date of birth, location, age, contact details etc). A short personal objective statement i.e. what you aim to get out of a job (don't say money....say something like teamwork skills, or job satisfaction etc). Education....so include your predicted GCSE grades. Any previous work experience (did you have a 2 week work experience at school?). One or two interests to show you're a normal person (don't go into depth). Any skills you have relevant to your job (for example, "I am a good listener, so I will be able to listen to customers and identify their needs.") And a refence, so I would put down your school tutor.

I have attached my CV. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Attached files
lawzer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well my sisiter gta job at barrats and shes 16. I believe the wage is 3.75 and your hours arent bad though it would be hard to do that if ur going back to school. As for the cv, its always good to put in about 3? experiences. Eg what did you do for work experience, if youve helped out at a fete or anything like that, and lastly anything else like childminding. Then hobbies an dintrest. I believe for the interview theyll ask you why you wana work there, to describe yourslf and probably ask you a few questions on ur cv. Dont worry ull be fine. First jobs always exciting...mine was at the gadget shop and i luved it! any help message me,send me ur cv if u like
good luck
prettyblueeyes
Rep:
?
3.75 an hour?? Oh Lord! Does tax get taken out of that or anything? I'm probably going to do 1 evening and either Saturday or Sunday.. its hardly worth it! Oh well, its all experience i guess! Thanks for the advice though, i forgot about childminding, good idea! thanks both of you x
Montrose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would wait and see blueeyes what they offer you re: pay. It's often different in different places, so if you're in London might be a bit more? Also, it wouldn't surprise me if that is a probationary rate and goes up after 3 months?

As for tax: I think you are allowed £4,500 a year before you get taxed, so unless you do tons of overtime, no, you won't. You may get some tax taken out (like, 10-20%, not sure on specifics) in your first month until they sort your tax code out, but you would get that back at the end of the year.

And any money is worth it. You could always leave when you get something better. Plus, ask some of the older people (19, 20) on the board. Once you get above 18, if you don't yet have any work experience they will always take ones that do over you, so get some experience while you can.
prettyblueeyes
Rep:
?
Thanks very much Alex! I handed in my CV to Barratts yesterday and will hear back this week whether they want to call me for an interview or not. It only has my provisional grades (get them this week!) and not a lot on it so I doubt they'll want me, but I thought I might as well try! I also handed my CV in to Dorothy Perkins who said they'll keep it for if a vacancy comes up (won't hold out much hope if they dont have a vacancy but something might come up) but I also asked in River Island and they said they have xmas vacancies coming up, so I'm going to drop in an application form and my CV next week. Thanks for all your help! I sound so shallow asking about the money, but you're right, it's still money and the experience is worth it.
Thanks very much!
no1mohsin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You might have some luck handing CVs out right now due to xmas coming up and companies recruiting. I handed loads out a few months back, and heard nothing . Been looking for a job for ages, seems an xmas temp job is my best bet now.

To prettyblueeyes: it's not at all shallow asking about money, surely that's why we all want a job so badly :p:...it's the case with me at least lol.

Good luck with your results btw, getting mine too this week
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.85%
No (386)
72.15%

Watched Threads