Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So in 24 days I'm going to be seeing my boyfriend for the first time since last October (long distance relationship, etc) and I'm going to be looking a huge mess. I'll be straight off a plane after a 15 hour journey on which I'm not allowed to keep any kind of liquid/gels/creams in my carry on luggage. I'll also be in clothes that probably won't be smelling too fresh after wearing them for about two days (overnight flight).

So. Any tips for making myself beautiful again while keeping all the new safety regulations in mind? This means no contact solution (I'll have to be wearing glasses), mouthwash, toothpaste, moisturizer, hair gel, mascara, evian face spray, perfume...etc etc. It would be nice not to scare him off. Tell me what to doooooo!

ReputationRep:
    i think you'll just have to buy everything again once your through the check in bit..might be a little expensive but thats your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    you can take them on just not in your hand luggage....

and since last october?! ****ing hell!

ReputationRep:
    blusher......get a really nice pink blusher which will make your cheeks rosy and just load on the blusher on your cheeks and some on your eyelids(if you won't be wearing eyeshadow), your eye's will look instantly more awake espeacially after a long flight!!

it works for me!!

ReputationRep:
    ps: am positive they'll let you take a blusher pot with you inside the plane

ReputationRep:
    Can you take a bit of lipbalm, mascara and eyeliner with you? just put them in your pocket if you can. Oh and get some face cleansing wipes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the mascara past them or not...I hope so, it's my lifeline! Blusher should be fine. And face wipes...yes! I hope they won't take them away from me at the checkpoint since they'll be moist. Oh wait, brainwave...what are those ones called that you just put water on them and they foam up? Those would probably be my best bet...

and yes, since October! I have a feeling it's going to be a great reunion...

ReputationRep:
    Put them in a bag on the top of your suitcase all the things you need. Remember it's best not to take anything unnecessary on with you, so even things like a hairbrush are best not taken (yep, its hard for us girls!). If you keep a good tinted moisturiser, bronzer, a pinky blusher, a nice neutral lipgloss and some mascara etc in a small makeup bag on the top of your suitcase or in a zip pocket. This way, when you get off the other end and get your bag from the luggage carousel, you'll be able to easily open the case at the top and reach your makeup bag. Perhaps take a light top or sweater/cardigan and wear it at the airport, but take it off on the plane so it's still fresh when you get off. Or just put a clean top right at the top of your case so you can easily get it and change. There are always toilets between the carousels and the arrivals bit so you'll have a chance to makeup/change before you go through to meet your boyfriend. where are you going by the way? i hope you have a lovely time!
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m.a.y.a)
    ps: am positive they'll let you take a blusher pot with you inside the plane

My friend tried. Your not allowed powders either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyblueeyes)
    . where are you going by the way? i hope you have a lovely time!
    x
    Thank you! I'm going to N.Ireland, I'll be doing my masters degree there so I'll have a full year of boyfriend time.

(Original post by HipsAndHearts)
    .Your not allowed powders either.
    Even pressed powders? Damn. Maybe I won't even try smuggling my makeup through. I don't want them to throw it out if I'm not allowed to take it on with me. This isn't any cheap old stuff!

ReputationRep:
    You said about brushing your teeth... Just take some gum and chew it as you come into land, then you can brush your teeth when you get off the plane, it'll help you feel fresh more than anything! Have a good time!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok! I'd just do what i said, pack it in the top of your case. don't be silly and try to smuggle it through, it's a critical state of security, and the less people the security have to deal with who are trying to smuggle things like lipbalm on to planes the better for us all.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

Put a makeup bag in an outside pocket of your suitcase, then once you've got your bag, rush to the toilets (there's usually some in the carousel area) and make yourself look nice.

Also, since its a trans-atlantic overnight flight, you should be given a toothbrush and toothpaste on the plane so that shouldn't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I'm not planning on trying to smuggle things through.

Well, it will be a bit of an annoyance, but things shouldn't be too bad with all your advice. So much for the daydream of stepping off the plane looking like I just came from the runway, but at least he shouldn't run away screaming!

ReputationRep:
    yeah- once you get off a plane and collect your luggage you will hopefully be able to make it to a toilet before you walk through the arrivals gate.
    I know you do at Stanstead and i'm pretty sure there's toilets at heathrow at the baggage collection area.

have a change of clothes, deo and everything you need ready at the top of your suitcase and get ready in the loos before you meet him.

try and experiment with your hair now to see what hair styles will work and not look greasy even if the hair is a bit (cause it might be after such a long journey)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitten with a whip)
    Thank you! I'm going to N.Ireland, I'll be doing my masters degree there so I'll have a full year of boyfriend time.
    Where are you flying to in NI? If it's Belfast International there's no need to worry as there are toilets right beside the luggage collection

ReputationRep:
    if you are going to try and make it past them with stuff on you make sure it's cheap stuff, my friend got stopped on the way back from spain because she didnt realise there were any restrictions (nothing was said before her suitcases were taken away!) and they threw out half a bottle of chanel perfume, a LOT of clinique makeup including mascara, lipgloss etc and even tried to throw away her PRESCRIBED medication! it was appalling.

ur best bet really will be to either buy some cheap stuff when u get there or try and collect your luggage and primp before you see him

i know this dilemma, id go months without seeing my boyf so u always want to look your best when you eventually meet up! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    No such luck, I'll be going through Heathrow and then into Belfast City Airport. I'm sure there'll be a place there too, but I know I'm going to want to run off the plane and right to him! Hee hee.

ReputationRep:
    Um, surely your boyfriend will understand that you can't look like a Hollywood star after a 15 hour journey...
    Does it really matter for the short time that you will look a bit of a mess? Why don't you just clean up when you get home?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, I haven't read the whole thing but just to add my two cents - I work at Manchester Airport, staff aren't allowed any makeup whatsoever, we've all had mascaras, lip glosses etc confiscated, and as far as I know this is standard across all UK airports now. However, unless you're travelling from the UK to America, Canada or certain Turkey flights, you can buy makeup and liquids after security and take them on the plane, so you could always buy a few essentials from Boots.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.