The Student Room Group

Is this good?

I'm in year 10 and currently doing my early entry GCSE's. These are:
Maths, English, English lit, Religious studies.

I want to ask whether these following predicted grades are good, considering I'm in year 10:

Maths:A
English:A
English lit:A
Religious studies:B

Take into account that I want to do Maths and further maths at A level. Would you recommend I retake maths at the end of next year to try getting the A*?
Original post by RG110man
I'm in year 10 and currently doing my early entry GCSE's. These are:
Maths, English, English lit, Religious studies.

I want to ask whether these following predicted grades are good, considering I'm in year 10:

Maths:A
English:A
English lit:A
Religious studies:B

Take into account that I want to do Maths and further maths at A level. Would you recommend I retake maths at the end of next year to try getting the A*?

What does 'good' mean? If you've been expecting to get C grades then yes, they're amazing. If you've been expecting to get A* grades then they're less good. Overall, a C is generally defined as a 'good pass' but what's good will depend on each person individually. To be quite honest, I don't understand the point of doing early entry GCSEs. You'll get better grades if you do them next year so I don't see what benefit you think you'll get by doing them earlier. Universities don't care when you did them, they just care about the grades. If you're seriously intending to do Maths and Further Maths at A Level, you should be working at least to an A* level at GCSE.
Reply 2
Well.. Our school do early entry GCSEs so we can spend next year preparing for subjects such as AS level maths. My teacher thinks the best plan would be to do AS level maths throughout next year, and then resit my maths gcse at the end of next year in order to get an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by RG110man
Well.. Our school do early entry GCSEs so we can spend next year preparing for subjects such as AS level maths. My teacher thinks the best plan would be to do AS level maths throughout next year, and then resit my maths gcse at the end of next year in order to get an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go with your teacher then. I don't see the point in early entry either, but I guess you don't have much of a choice at this point?
Reply 4
Mind you. Doing GCSEs early does mean that you're not quite as pressured as you know if you mess it up you still have next year to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doing early entry GSCE's may be beneficial to you just so you understand the ebb and flow of how it works (Plus I got 3 GSCE's at the end of year 10 and it took a giant load of my back for this summer since I was happy with my results)

If you want to do further Maths then you should really go for A* at GSCE.

Quick Reply

Latest