fauxhall23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone sitting this? I'm really worried by this exam and I just can't seem to translate english to spanish, it's my biggest weakness in this paper, and its a 25 mark question. Anyone have any tips for that part?

What book/film are you guys doing?
jupiter125
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fauxhall23)
Anyone sitting this? I'm really worried by this exam and I just can't seem to translate english to spanish, it's my biggest weakness in this paper, and its a 25 mark question. Anyone have any tips for that part?

Highlight all the verbs, number them and then translate them.

The translation will always be linked with a text in the exam. Look for topic specific vocab in the translation and then look back at the text to find the words.

Accuracy is important, so make sure your adjectives agree etc.

I find the question where you have to rephrase what's in the text the hardest! Just done the 2012 paper for practice and I got a solid 3/10 on that question

My exposé was on 'Los temas principales en La Casa de Bernada' and my essay is going to be on El Laberinto del Fauno. How about you?
aabi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing El Laberinto del Fauno for my essay too.

I've not really got any other translation tips to add - not amazing at doing it anyway

The essay is definitely my strongest point... I think the rest depends on the topics!
jupiter125
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aabi)
I'm doing El Laberinto del Fauno for my essay too.

I've not really got any other translation tips to add - not amazing at doing it anyway

The essay is definitely my strongest point... I think the rest depends on the topics!
How are you revising for the essay? I've written several but now I'm just learning the symbols/characters/context. I hate WJEC so much, AQA languages are far better
aabi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jupiter125)
How are you revising for the essay? I've written several but now I'm just learning the symbols/characters/context. I hate WJEC so much, AQA languages are far better
Same really! I've done some past ones and had them marked, now just thinking of potential exam questions to write example type essays. I've been searching for analysis online as well for extra ideas, and making posters on different themes and such. Also just been trying to learn important quotes... And watching the film and director's commentary when I feel like some more relaxed revision!

I've never really had a proper look at an AQA paper haha, can't say I love WJEC though.

Just praying we get decent questions in the exam
jupiter125
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aabi)
Same really! I've done some past ones and had them marked, now just thinking of potential exam questions to write example type essays. I've been searching for analysis online as well for extra ideas, and making posters on different themes and such. Also just been trying to learn important quotes... And watching the film and director's commentary when I feel like some more relaxed revision!

I've never really had a proper look at an AQA paper haha, can't say I love WJEC though.

Just praying we get decent questions in the exam
Oh Christ, we need quotes?! I've just written an essay on the role of women in the film, can't help but feel it's a bit vague though. I never thought of watching the director's commentary, that's a good plan!

I do AQA German and it's so much easier than WJEC, the reading and listening questions are more accessible and the general layout is much better.

(I think I've come across as a bit thick)
aabi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jupiter125)
Oh Christ, we need quotes?! I've just written an essay on the role of women in the film, can't help but feel it's a bit vague though. I never thought of watching the director's commentary, that's a good plan!

I do AQA German and it's so much easier than WJEC, the reading and listening questions are more accessible and the general layout is much better.

(I think I've come across as a bit thick)
Oh no I don't think we need them, but it can help with your knowledge of topic and texts marks! Well we've been told that anyway...

That's what I worry about with WJEC - I'm hoping we don't get exceedingly difficult reading questions. Can't remember which paper it is, but there was one I did with the Spanish reading exercise on ETA and it was horrible!
jupiter125
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aabi)
Oh no I don't think we need them, but it can help with your knowledge of topic and texts marks! Well we've been told that anyway...

That's what I worry about with WJEC - I'm hoping we don't get exceedingly difficult reading questions. Can't remember which paper it is, but there was one I did with the Spanish reading exercise on ETA and it was horrible!
Ah yeah, I did the reading exercise on ETA (were they wearing masks?) Yeah, I found that so difficult, so much vocabulary I had no idea about and my teacher said it was unfairly hard!
obsessedfreak95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ooooo I'm doing el laberinto del fauno for my essay too any essay predictions you guys have? i've prepared some on women in the film, relationships between characters in the film, symbolism, the importance of fantasy in the film etc but i don't know what else!

I agree about the reading and listening in WJEC being a pain - i think it's so hard to rephrase the texts, without changing the meaning. A lot of the texts they give are just really difficult to 'tweak the meaning' of
obsessedfreak95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ooooo I'm doing el laberinto del fauno for my essay too any essay predictions you guys have? i've prepared some on women in the film, relationships between characters in the film, symbolism, the importance of fantasy in the film etc but i don't know what else!

I agree about the reading and listening in WJEC being a pain - i think it's so hard to rephrase the texts, without changing the meaning. A lot of the texts they give are just really difficult to 'tweak the meaning' of
ca01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys, does any1 know what is the grade boundaries for an a* ?
milly_124
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fauxhall23)

Im a native Spanish speaker im taking A2 and find it hard to translate so your not the only what you can do is read Spanish news papers and try and find out words that you find necessary or interesting or listen to music or watch el laberinto its a good Spanish film and youll be able to find some of the vocabulary interesting.
mochii
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How did everyone find the exam today? Generally I thought it was okay, except for the essay I'd did (la casa de bernarda alba) which I feel like I messed up because there was too much to say and I didn't plan it enough
Anonymous#2013
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mochii)
How did everyone find the exam today? Generally I thought it was okay, except for the essay I'd did (la casa de bernarda alba) which I feel like I messed up because there was too much to say and I didn't plan it enough
I didnt really like the reading
I liked my regions essays though!
khitman
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
compared to the past papers we did, i thought the translation was pretty straight-forward. won't know how i did until august i suppose e-e
aabi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was fairly happy with the exam, the reading could have been better but overall I thought it was alright. I was pleased with the essay for 'El laberinto del fauno'!

Posted from TSR Mobile
obsessedfreak95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aabi)
I was fairly happy with the exam, the reading could have been better but overall I thought it was alright. I was pleased with the essay for 'El laberinto del fauno'!

Posted from TSR Mobile
which essay did you pick? i thought the first one was horrendous!! but the one about ofelia and mercedes wasn't too bad I suppose!
aabi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by obsessedfreak95)
which essay did you pick? i thought the first one was horrendous!! but the one about ofelia and mercedes wasn't too bad I suppose!
Yeah, I went for the second one haha! I was praying for a question on Mercedes so I was relatively happy with that one No way was I doing the first one, don't think anyone from my school did!

How did you find the rest of the paper?
obsessedfreak95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aabi)
Yeah, I went for the second one haha! I was praying for a question on Mercedes so I was relatively happy with that one No way was I doing the first one, don't think anyone from my school did!

How did you find the rest of the paper?
haha i know, the first one was horrible! i only know one person that picked it, no idea why though because we've never done anything about that! and yeah i thought the mercedes and ofelia one was alright really, felt lie i had quite a lot to say!

i thought it was alright in general, the translation was much nicer than some of the past ones! struggled a bit with the gap fill though tbh i did the first two and the lst one, but the middle two gaps were tricky! at least it's only two marks though! how about you?
Anonymous#2013
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My teacher said these were the gapfill answers Planeta,aptece , divertirse,atrofiar and exija

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (46)
13.81%
Uncertainty around my education (56)
16.82%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (32)
9.61%
Isolating with family (22)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (13)
3.9%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (25)
7.51%
Loneliness (31)
9.31%
Financial worries (12)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (36)
10.81%
Exposure to negative news/social media (27)
8.11%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (33)
9.91%

Watched Threads