The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
also, anyone from hull, or who has being to the infamous hull fair or KC stadium, will know the large ground there, on a sunday their is a pirate dvd market (also on a wednesday) and Hurricane told me their was over 40 stalls their selling dvds all for the special prices of £3 each 2 for £5 or (wait for it) 5 for £10 - this goes for dvds, ps2/ pc/ xbox/ and x360 games... obviously i was shocked and sickened to hear this, but it proves how popular this is..
the police even admitted that their are too many people to arrest!!
muhahah
Reply 21
I don't see the point in buying pirated DVDs, it's cheaper and easy enough to download films if you're intent on not buying the original. I just wait for HMV's sales for UK DVDs. :biggrin:
Is it legal to download those movies?
Phil.
If copyright laws were scrapped there'd be no new films/music etc. as there would be absolutely no reason for people to continue making them.

it would just mean actors wont get millions ... just average wage :biggrin:

Bollywood and other film industries have survived.
exiled-student
I believe all copyright and other patent laws preventing piracy should be scrapped.

They are useless and no one obeys them...its just a waste of tax payers money cracking down on piracy.

Great idea, let's destroy the film, book and music industries in one foul swoop! Removing copyright is a one way ticket to removing the ability to distribute creative media on a large scale.
Chumbaniya
Great idea, let's destroy the film, book and music industries in one foul swoop! Removing copyright is a one way ticket to removing the ability to distribute creative media on a large scale.

On the contrary, it will increase productivity, invention and creative thinking.

For example, if Microsoft was to make its source code public, other programmers could invent many new things, adding more creativity and it would naturally give rise to independent research.
Reply 26
exiled-student
On the contrary, it will increase productivity, invention and creative thinking.

For example, if Microsoft was to make its source code public, other programmers could invent many new things, adding more creativity and it would naturally give rise to independent research.

No it wouldn't. Microsoft wouldn't have any control of Windows XP. No would would buy the latest XP if it was open source because they would be able to get it for free. Which means that Microsoft wouldn't earn the billions that they do earn. Then that would mean that they wouldn't waste their money on making new software/bug fixes because there is no profit to be had.

It would simply kill Industries. Patents are need. They exist for a good reason.

My opinon on Pirate dvds is bad because they are bad quality. I just use Bittorrent if i want a movie. It's free.
The only kind of patents that should be banned are vague ones who are created by indivuiduals/ small companies so that they can sue big companies who created something that just happened to infring on the vague patent. This is what is happening to Nintendo and Microsoft. They are getting sued by a company that no one has ever heard of because their contollers break extremely vague patents.
Reply 27
The Green Manalishi
I live in Sri Lanka, hence the questions kinda rhetoric :p:

:ditto:
buy them no. Its too much of a risk that the quality might not be good. Even if it is only a four quid a go. I just borrow the ones my brother gets.
Besides why pay even cheap pirate rates when you can download for free?
I'm not saying i do mind you
Tibia
No it wouldn't. Microsoft wouldn't have any control of Windows XP. No would would buy the latest XP if it was open source because they would be able to get it for free. Which means that Microsoft wouldn't earn the billions that they do earn. Then that would mean that they wouldn't waste their money on making new software/bug fixes because there is no profit to be had.

It would simply kill Industries. Patents are need. They exist for a good reason.

My opinon on Pirate dvds is bad because they are bad quality. I just use Bittorrent if i want a movie. It's free.
The only kind of patents that should be banned are vague ones who are created by indivuiduals/ small companies so that they can sue big companies who created something that just happened to infring on the vague patent. This is what is happening to Nintendo and Microsoft. They are getting sued by a company that no one has ever heard of because their contollers break extremely vague patents.

lol.. can you not see the advantages?

do you work for bill gates or something?

who cares if Mircrosoft goes bust! i dont.. I know my friends James and Dan if they had the source code for XP could develop patches, codes and bugs. There are programmers in India who are more hot shot than many working for Mircrosoft, they could take XP and make it into a very powerful operating system from sitting in some compound and distribute it for free.

If patents and copyrights were really scrapped it would also benifet the poor people in African countries who do not have access to AIDs and Cancer medications becasue some US or UK pharamacutical has patented the product, so the poor in africa cannot re-produce it and have to purchase it from the big Pharmacutical at very high price.

If copyright and patents were removed it would be end of filthy Capitalism. :biggrin:
Cadre_Of_Storms
buy them no. Its too much of a risk that the quality might not be good. Even if it is only a four quid a go. I just borrow the ones my brother gets.
Besides why pay even cheap pirate rates when you can download for free?
I'm not saying i do mind you

Download is a form of piracy too.

This really proves my point that no one cares about copyright and such laws, they should scrap it and stop wasting tax payers money to crack on internet piracy as well as dealers in the market.
Reply 31
who cares if Mircrosoft goes bust! i dont..

You say that now. But when 95% of all PCs in the world become useless you will probably whine.

Tibia
You say that now. But when 95% of all PCs in the world become useless you will probably whine.

How will 95% of pc's become useless?

What about Linux? It has been in exisistance for 10 years. It has millions of people who use it and thousands of people who go into it's codes. What has happened? It's a fragmented os. There are many versions of it. Instead of joining together to create a super OS. Programmers have fragmented and created what they wanted. Linux will never step up to Windows. No matter what.

Linux has not made it to mainstream due to Microsoft's monopoly over the market, a bit like how apple is not so big as microsoft even though it maybe just as good.

I think its a good thing, that programmers can create what they want and create user specific operating systems. such as for gamers, offices, designers, bankers and so on. And people wouldnt have to wait around for microsoft to release its new version of Windows or Word, they could just get it upgraded from a local programmer for a small payment.

I hate when people say this. Who spends 400 million on drugs research? Who will go any length to test their product? Who will foot the bill of failed drugs? Who? The government? NO. It's the pharmaceutical companies. I'm sorry if poor people in Africa can't afford the drug. But guess what? The drug they need so badly wouldn't exist at all of drug companies didn't spend money researching it. We need drug companies. The more the merrier. It's just that crazy idiots screaming about people in Africa. Why can't African government pay for it's people health. Instead of hording Aid money for themselves. They should take responsiblity for their people the way the north africans have done (ever notice that all the problems in Africa are in the non arab countries?).

Thats the whole point, if patent laws were scrapped it would mean that research labs in African countries would not need to start from scratch, they could use the existing research to further develop it and provide it to people who need it the most at cheap and affordable prices.

Its a bit useless spending 400 million on a product which is not going to be any help to those who need it. Currently even the UK NHS cannot afford the real substance, they are resorting to prescribing the cheaper version of the actual drug, let alone poor african countries.
pirate copies of movies these days are excellent quality. If they didnt make going to the pictures and buying original dvds so ridiculously expensive £6-£8 for a cinema ticket? £3.50 for a coke? £2.30 for a pavk of m&ms?

go piracy! i say!
Reply 34
Linux has not made it to mainstream due to Microsoft's monopoly over the market, a bit like how apple is not so big as microsoft even though it maybe just as good.

I think its a good thing, that programmers can create what they want and create user specific operating systems. such as for gamers, offices, designers, bankers and so on. And people wouldnt have to wait around for microsoft to release its new version of Windows or Word, they could just get it upgraded from a local programmer for a small payment.

Linux has everything going for it. It can be delivered to the masses with bittorrent. It can be fixed easily. It can have the Firefox movement. But it doesn't. Thats because unlike Firefox to many people are working on to many projects.

To only mainstream application for Linux is using it for servers.

Thats the whole point, if patent laws were scrapped it would mean that research labs in African countries would not need to start from scratch, they could use the existing research to further develop it and provide it to people who need it the most at cheap and affordable prices.

Where would that research come from? If there are no drugs companies to spend trillions every year on research. Where would new research come form? Drug companies have more money then any sub sharan african country can ever dream of spending on research.

Its a bit useless spending 400 million on a product which is not going to be any help to those who need it. Currently even the UK NHS cannot afford the real substance, they are resorting to prescribing the cheaper version of the actual drug, let alone poor african countries.

Lets not get into NHS. Any organisation that can turn a 70 billion budget into a deficit isn't a good example.

About the product. The reason they will spend 400 million is because there are customers. Customers will buy the drugs because they need it. Don't forget that most drugs are affordable to people living in Europe and North America (excluding mexico). They are the real money makers. Drug companies sell to african,asian and south american so low that they barely earn profit. They sometimes don't even make a profit.

We need patents. It's the only way to make sure that people are actually botherd to put in effort and money.

pirate copies of movies these days are excellent quality. If they didnt make going to the pictures and buying original dvds so ridiculously expensive £6-£8 for a cinema ticket? £3.50 for a coke? £2.30 for a pavk of m&ms?

The problem with that is that it leaves unintended victims. Most of the money from a film ticket doesnt' go to the cinema. They barely make profit from cinema tickets. They make their money from the food.

Also i can understand pirating Hollywood films has it is usually the same kind of crap with the actors/actress that couldn't act for their lives.

But what about independant films? They suffer even more.

The only thing pirate dvd benifits are criminal organisation. If you have to pirate. Why not just use Bittorrent.

Latest

Trending

Trending