How can I revise for GCSE English Language?

Watch
Sam54321
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
As your probably know, exams exam exams -_- My English lang exam is next Tuesday, I really want to at least get an A...hopefully A*! Any tips and advice?
SomePaleChick
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exam board?
TSR Mustafa
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Same , edexcel.
Marshmallow14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sam54321)
As your probably know, exams exam exams -_- My English lang exam is next Tuesday, I really want to at least get an A...hopefully A*! Any tips and advice?
Mines on Tuesday too, what i'm doing is rewriting old past paper questions.. Hope this helps! x
Tcool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, what I would recommend is watch Youtube videos like Mr Bruff's and similar videos like that (all you do is type in english language gcse aqa assuming your taking aqa....) and loads of videos will come up. Take notes for each question, and if your still not confident look a revision guides and do all of the activities in them and stuff. So once you have completely understood the skills to answer each question then look at exemplar answers (again assuming your doing aqa) on the aqa website if you type into Google "aqa english language gcse past papers" click on the first one and scroll right down to the bottom aqa themselves have put examples of c grade answers and A* grade answers so look at those and get a insight to what it takes to get that high grade. And after all that its practise, practise, practise under timed conditions.

Hope I helped :/ I really hope you get that A* good luck!!!

please can you respond to my question- I attempted question 4 (my weakest point on the exam) and would appreciate it if you read it and tried to give me some feedback??
Sam54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomePaleChick)
Exam board?
Edxcel
Sam54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomePaleChick)
Exam board?
Actually sorry Edexcel
Sam54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcool)
Hey, what I would recommend is watch Youtube videos like Mr Bruff's and similar videos like that (all you do is type in english language gcse aqa assuming your taking aqa....) and loads of videos will come up. Take notes for each question, and if your still not confident look a revision guides and do all of the activities in them and stuff. So once you have completely understood the skills to answer each question then look at exemplar answers (again assuming your doing aqa) on the aqa website if you type into Google "aqa english language gcse past papers" click on the first one and scroll right down to the bottom aqa themselves have put examples of c grade answers and A* grade answers so look at those and get a insight to what it takes to get that high grade. And after all that its practise, practise, practise under timed conditions.

please can you respond to my question- I attempted question 4 (my weakest point on the exam) and would appreciate it if you read it and tried to give me some feedback??
Thankyou....WOW really appreciate the advice. Certainly will go on youtube and most definitely will give you feed back. Fire away!
Sam54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marshmallow14)
Mines on Tuesday too, what i'm doing is rewriting old past paper questions.. Hope this helps! x
Thankyou!
Marshmallow14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thankyou!
Your very welcome and I bet you your gonna get that A*-just saying! Good luck!
SomePaleChick
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Actually sorry Edexcel
Sorry , can't help you cause I'm WJEC and they mark it awkwardly.

Other answerers have been very helpful though ^^
Tcool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thankyou....WOW really appreciate the advice. Certainly will go on youtube and most definitely will give you feed back. Fire away!
No prob really glad I helped, if you need any advice ask because I've got some tips and tricks for the exam (don't know if it would help because believe me i'm no expert at this exam im just an average student) but it would be great if we could share tips as this is an exam that I struggle with.

Heres my question 4 answer:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2695498

Thanx!
Sam54321
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcool)
No prob really glad I helped, if you need any advice ask because I've got some tips and tricks for the exam (don't know if it would help because believe me i'm no expert at this exam im just an average student) but it would be great if we could share tips as this is an exam that I struggle with.

Heres my question 4 answer:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2695498

Thanx!
Hey also how would you prepare for the unknown random question that is based on your creativity and etc. ANything could come from writing a newspaper, a blog or a letter. How would you prepare for this because there is no real way to know what the question will be for that question?
bekamop99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tcool)

Thank you so much for this advice! I will look at YouTube right now, and I was also worrying about how to revise! I'm only in year 10 and doing my mocks so sadly I don't think my feedback on that question would be helpful!
Thanks anyway!
khizerahmed123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hi guys i just wanted to ask you if i got a low B in my controlled assessment (40%) whta grade would i need to get a A in the exam (60%)

very much appreciate it
Jams97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by khizerahmed123)
hi guys i just wanted to ask you if i got a low B in my controlled assessment (40%) whta grade would i need to get a A in the exam (60%)

very much appreciate it
I got a b in all B in all of my controlled assessments but by so,e miracle managed to get an A last year in my GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tcool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey also how would you prepare for the unknown random question that is based on your creativity and etc. ANything could come from writing a newspaper, a blog or a letter. How would you prepare for this because there is no real way to know what the question will be for that question?
Hey, when I first began English language the writing section was my weakest and even now I'm not strong at it because of how spontaneous it can be. But here's something that for me REALLY helped- go in with a generic response you may think it's random, how can you do that? But what I mean is remember some really great word, similes, metaphors and things like that which could fit into anything. For example in the writing section almost certainly your going to be mentioning emotions so go in with big words and similes for happy, sad like I for instance "I felt euphoric" or "fear chocked me like a thick cloud of smoke in my throat" (Things like that) For question 6 it's going to be argue or persuade so you can say things like "barbaric" or "this view exasperates or incenses me" and in that question I found I can apply that to almost every question they throw at me. Lastly, go in with a tick list on the mark scheme it says use things like short sentences, satire, repetition ect. Maybe make a mnemonic and simply put it in your plan before you begin and tick it off when you think you've applied the lang technique to your answer. Because remember even if you think that you got nothing to write about if you use language techniques and good vocabulary then you have instantly hit A/A*

I hope this made sense, it probably didn't as I find it hard to explain my thoughts...If it didn't make sense heres a practise question I did where I applied nearly every language technique which are so easy to throw in in nearly every answer:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2697530

But really hope I helped, and you get a great result in the exam. I'm terrified for the exam :/
Tcool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bekamop99)
Thank you so much for this advice! I will look at YouTube right now, and I was also worrying about how to revise! I'm only in year 10 and doing my mocks so sadly I don't think my feedback on that question would be helpful!
Thanks anyway!
I hope you do well! Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (55)
13.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (90)
22.9%
Live streaming events (38)
9.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (38)
9.67%
A uni comparison tool (88)
22.39%
An in-person event when available (84)
21.37%