Harry_Z
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I couldnt find a post for 2015 applicants dose anyone have any advice for what universities I should be looking at?
DANGODANGO
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Harry_Z)
I couldnt find a post for 2015 applicants dose anyone have any advice for what universities I should be looking at?
Hi

Im looking to study architecture too im in year 12 at the moment and applying for 2015. I've been looking around for quite a while and i think my first three choices are UCL, Bath and sheffield. The guardian has recently published their 2015 university league table for architecture
http://www.theguardian.com/education...r-architecture

I hope that helps out
clareyyyyyyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if you're just starting out looking at uni choices , this could be useful http://digitaledition.domusweb.it/do...1201domus/#/1/
it has a little overview about each of the schools it's ranked in the top 50 for architecture, but you'll have to sift through the non UK schools to find them. obviously, this is not an exhaustive list of schools that are good - most have their merits!
the architect's journal schools ranking is usually worth a look, but to be honest, your best bet is apply to schools your grades and subjects are suited for, where you feel you'd be happiest. at the end of it, as long as your degree is from a reasonably reputable school, it's your portfolio that's going to get you jobs (:
HarryW03
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

It depends what sort of architectural education you want really. Most courses are Bachelor of Arts (BA) but some are Bsc (Science). It doesn't make a huge difference overall, but Science ones like Bath, Cardiff etc. do tend to cross over with engineering a bit more, while BA tend to be more design based.

I have only been to one open day and that was at Brookes. They have a very new and inspiring building for architecture and I really, really liked it. Other than Brookes I'm looking at Sheffield, Newcastle, UWE and Kent. I have done a Summer School thing at Kent for architecture but didn't like it as much as Brookes.
nickgh
Report 6 years ago
Name:  Invitation Grad Show.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  321.3 KB Hi! As a graduating architecture and planning student from UWE, I can recommend our graduate show in London which will give you the opportunity to see our work and meet current and alumni students! Hope this helps!
sgic31
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nickgh)
Name:  Invitation Grad Show.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  321.3 KB Hi! As a graduating architecture and planning student from UWE, I can recommend our graduate show in London which will give you the opportunity to see our work and meet current and alumni students! Hope this helps!
Hello, I'm also looking at doing architecture at UWE Bristol for 2015 and confused between the two courses they do for architecture (Architecture and Architecture and Planning) can you perhaps suggest differences and also do you know if the Architecture is now approved by the RIBA? thank you!
wmsinr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't really look at the BSc or BA titles of the degree to set the difference as many other claimed. For people think the most "arty" school - UCL is in fact a BSc degree!! Don't try to set so rigid about which one is arty or which is technical (practical) teaching aspect of the course. Go to the place (and city) you like most with good reputation.
00Skywalkin'
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I'm in the UK and also applying for architecture this year, though for a deferred entry since I'm taking a gap year... I just had a look at Bath and they don't accept deferred entry applications but it was one of the top on my list... there's also that issue of rather high grade requirements...

Does anyone know how helpful an Extended Project is in applying for architecture in general? A lot of people in my sixth form are doing it and I've completed the starter paperwork etc. but I'm thinking that I'll drop it and do 4 A levels instead (Fine Art, Product design, Maths and Physics). For various reasons I'm kind of worried I won't be able to complete it, or have it at a decent standard at least, and it might be more reliable (and just as valuable??) to simply bulk up my portfolio with personal work and read up a lot on architecture over the summer holiday? Initially I was definitely inclined to ditch it, but since reading the Bath entry requirement page on their website... well EPQ was on the list titled 'Your application will be strengthen by...' and they don't accept a portfolio- which I have to admit is the strongest part of my set of things I can use to apply to unis (my personal statement probably won't be terribly brilliant looking at how it's going so far....). Anyone got any advice? With the epq it's either now or never....but I have heard that some unis don't put too much weight on it since not everyone gets the chance to do it and it wouldn't be fair? Yet at the same time I don't want to regret not doing it- I had originally planned to do an artifact project architecture themed? Oh and they don't do interviews so it's really got to all be in my paperwork!

Sorry this is going to be a bit of a long post...

Second set of questions- at the moment, UCL Bartlett is at the top of my list of unis. However, it has the lowest of the entry grade requirements on my list, meaning I won't be able to use any of my other choices as back ups when accepting offers. Y'know about making 5 applications, and accepting 2 offers- the insurance one can't have grades higher than your firm choice right?
Another thing, the student satisfaction rating on thecompleteuniversityguide website is rather low... I've seen this come up in a couple of other threads but I didn't really get much of an explanation- I did go on an architecture summer course recently and asked one of the tutors who went to the Bartlett a while back. They said it was a very intense and very arty- which is what I am looking for (ok maybe not so much of the intense...) but things like poor correspondence between students and tutors, and marking rates etc. kept popping up.... I missed the open day because I was on a residential school trip and they don't do booked tours at other times.
Uh... any ideas??? Thanks~
DominikS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by 00Skywalkin')
Hi I'm in the UK and also applying for architecture this year, though for a deferred entry since I'm taking a gap year... I just had a look at Bath and they don't accept deferred entry applications but it was one of the top on my list... there's also that issue of rather high grade requirements...

Does anyone know how helpful an Extended Project is in applying for architecture in general? A lot of people in my sixth form are doing it and I've completed the starter paperwork etc. but I'm thinking that I'll drop it and do 4 A levels instead (Fine Art, Product design, Maths and Physics). For various reasons I'm kind of worried I won't be able to complete it, or have it at a decent standard at least, and it might be more reliable (and just as valuable??) to simply bulk up my portfolio with personal work and read up a lot on architecture over the summer holiday? Initially I was definitely inclined to ditch it, but since reading the Bath entry requirement page on their website... well EPQ was on the list titled 'Your application will be strengthen by...' and they don't accept a portfolio- which I have to admit is the strongest part of my set of things I can use to apply to unis (my personal statement probably won't be terribly brilliant looking at how it's going so far....). Anyone got any advice? With the epq it's either now or never....but I have heard that some unis don't put too much weight on it since not everyone gets the chance to do it and it wouldn't be fair? Yet at the same time I don't want to regret not doing it- I had originally planned to do an artifact project architecture themed? Oh and they don't do interviews so it's really got to all be in my paperwork!

Sorry this is going to be a bit of a long post...

Second set of questions- at the moment, UCL Bartlett is at the top of my list of unis. However, it has the lowest of the entry grade requirements on my list, meaning I won't be able to use any of my other choices as back ups when accepting offers. Y'know about making 5 applications, and accepting 2 offers- the insurance one can't have grades higher than your firm choice right?
Another thing, the student satisfaction rating on thecompleteuniversityguide website is rather low... I've seen this come up in a couple of other threads but I didn't really get much of an explanation- I did go on an architecture summer course recently and asked one of the tutors who went to the Bartlett a while back. They said it was a very intense and very arty- which is what I am looking for (ok maybe not so much of the intense...) but things like poor correspondence between students and tutors, and marking rates etc. kept popping up.... I missed the open day because I was on a residential school trip and they don't do booked tours at other times.
Uh... any ideas??? Thanks~
The best thing to do with your EPQ vs 4 a-levels issue is to e-mail the universities you're interested in. They were extremely useful when I was making a similar decision to you this time last year (but don't do what I did - which was do both 4 a-levels AND the EPQ).

I can't help you with the UCL issue too much, as I didn't really consider it - I had a look at their description and some videos, and I thought it was too conceptual and artsy for me. However, the impression I have from talking to a few people who went there is that it is a very intense and competitive course - I once talked to a girl who had dropped out in the second year because of this. But it's still one of the best courses in the country, and being in London definitely gives an advantage when applying for jobs.

It won't matter too much about not having an insurance choice if you get into UCL though, since it's ABB - if you don't meet your grades there, why would you want an AAA insurance? Universities are extremely unlikely to accept you if you've missed the grades and you only put them as your insurance.
00Skywalkin'
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DominikS)
The best thing to do with your EPQ vs 4 a-levels issue is to e-mail the universities you're interested in. They were extremely useful when I was making a similar decision to you this time last year (but don't do what I did - which was do both 4 a-levels AND the EPQ).

I can't help you with the UCL issue too much, as I didn't really consider it - I had a look at their description and some videos, and I thought it was too conceptual and artsy for me. However, the impression I have from talking to a few people who went there is that it is a very intense and competitive course - I once talked to a girl who had dropped out in the second year because of this. But it's still one of the best courses in the country, and being in London definitely gives an advantage when applying for jobs.

It won't matter too much about not having an insurance choice if you get into UCL though, since it's ABB - if you don't meet your grades there, why would you want an AAA insurance? Universities are extremely unlikely to accept you if you've missed the grades and you only put them as your insurance.
Hey thanks for the advice~ Yeah, I'm in the process of finding some BBB uni courses- have you come across any? Edinburgh have BBB as minimum entry requirements but a typical offer is AAA so I'm thinking not.... Haha artsy is basically what I'm looking for, I think sheffield looks a bit like that(?)
DominikS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey thanks for the advice~ Yeah, I'm in the process of finding some BBB uni courses- have you come across any? Edinburgh have BBB as minimum entry requirements but a typical offer is AAA so I'm thinking not.... Haha artsy is basically what I'm looking for, I think sheffield looks a bit like that(?)
Ah I was trying to stay away from the artsy courses! I think most courses you'll find are ABB as the minimum - I think unis get more funding if they have students with ABB grades or above. Maybe ask for higher predicted grades from your teachers?

I went to Sheffield open day, and I had the feeling their course was indeed very artsy. I liked the university itself, and the architecture department is at the top of a very cool tower in the city centre - very cool!

Oxford Brookes is my insurance and probably where I'll end up in September. It's supposed to be one of the biggest architecture departments in the country, and they allow for a lot more freedom when choosing your modules there than at other unis - so you can have a very artsy course, or one that tends a bit more towards engineering if you prefer. I really liked it at Brookes on the open day and I definitely recommend having a look!
00Skywalkin'
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DominikS)
Ah I was trying to stay away from the artsy courses! I think most courses you'll find are ABB as the minimum - I think unis get more funding if they have students with ABB grades or above. Maybe ask for higher predicted grades from your teachers?

I went to Sheffield open day, and I had the feeling their course was indeed very artsy. I liked the university itself, and the architecture department is at the top of a very cool tower in the city centre - very cool!

Oxford Brookes is my insurance and probably where I'll end up in September. It's supposed to be one of the biggest architecture departments in the country, and they allow for a lot more freedom when choosing your modules there than at other unis - so you can have a very artsy course, or one that tends a bit more towards engineering if you prefer. I really liked it at Brookes on the open day and I definitely recommend having a look!
Eeh--Architecture's a pretty challenging course wherever you go I've heard so I suppose I shouldn't have expected grade requirements much below that... Awesome, those unis both sound great! I think I remember reading something about the tower on the Sheffield website... Best case scenario I should hit safely over the minimum entry grades for all or my choices, though Bartlett is AAB so I couldn't really use Sheffield or Oxford Brookes as an insurance which are both higher/same grade requirements- if something went really wrong with my results (ack my AS in two weeks...)? That's assuming I even get offers from them of course... I'll have a look! Easier than getting up to Edinburgh too~ If you don't mind me asking, how did your EPQ and 4 A levels go?
DominikS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Eeh--Architecture's a pretty challenging course wherever you go I've heard so I suppose I shouldn't have expected grade requirements much below that... Awesome, those unis both sound great! I think I remember reading something about the tower on the Sheffield website... Best case scenario I should hit safely over the minimum entry grades for all or my choices, though Bartlett is AAB so I couldn't really use Sheffield or Oxford Brookes as an insurance which are both higher/same grade requirements- if something went really wrong with my results (ack my AS in two weeks...)? That's assuming I even get offers from them of course... I'll have a look! Easier than getting up to Edinburgh too~ If you don't mind me asking, how did your EPQ and 4 A levels go?
I think with Bartlett, the hardest part is actually getting an offer. If you get an offer, you shouldn't worry too much about your results - you'd have passed through a very tough selection process and so they must really like you - so if you don't meet your grades in the end, they could be lenient and still give you a place. But I don't know for sure - as I said, I didn't apply!

To be honest, I completely rushed my EPQ a week before the deadline - I didn't know that I actually *had* the deadline (I never really bothered to ask), so it wasn't too problematic. I would definitely recommend doing most of your EPQ as soon as possible and getting it out of the way - you can do it pretty quickly once you have all your research done!

I didn't find doing 4 A-levels too bad, honestly. I think it sounds much worse on paper - like it should be loads more work. But as long as you enjoy your fourth subject, it's not too bad. My extra subject was history - and I really love the course, my teachers were great, and I didn't mind doing a few extra hours of work at home a week, because I found it interesting. But when deciding, make sure you know roughly when all your deadlines will be. February was my deadline for both History and Art coursework, and that entire half term was extremely stressful and busy (I cried a lot that month!) - but I knew that I could concentrate on those two subjects, because my other two - Physics and Maths - didn't require as much attention until the summer. Plus, because my fourth subject was history, I only had one extra exam in the summer - half of A2 was based on coursework.

Doing 4 A-Levels will take up less time and energy than having a part time job on the side, honestly. But think it over, because it might not even be worth it - you might choose on concentrating on three and securing your predicteds.
nickgh
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sgic31)
Hello, I'm also looking at doing architecture at UWE Bristol for 2015 and confused between the two courses they do for architecture (Architecture and Architecture and Planning) can you perhaps suggest differences and also do you know if the Architecture is now approved by the RIBA? thank you!
I am not sure whether the Architecture course has already been approved by RIBA. The Architecture and Planning degree is basically a dual bachelor degree and is RIBA and RTPI accredited allowing you to pursue a career in architecture or in town planning or both. You will realise that many architecture firms value this combined degree when applying for a job!
SMH95
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I applied for 2014 entry for Architecture at the top 4 ranked Architecture universities in the UK (got into Edinburgh, then chose to take a gap year), so I have a little bit of knowledge about the top 4 and the general application process.

Bath (A*AA) - very science orientated (includes lots of joint projects with the engineering department), no interview or portfolio.
Cambridge (A*AA) - very intellectual and a bit arty (you need to be a book worm for this one-their reading list can be found online). Despite popular conceptions you don't need to be an A*A*A*A* student, if you work hard and show your dedication you have every chance! Obviously an interview and portfolio is needed. And remember the October 15th application deadline!
UCL (AAB) - so very arty (just type in UCL Bartlett into youtube). This one is very hard to get into, you have to send off your spontaneous response to a creative task, then you're invited to an assessment day in which you'll be interviewed, meet current students, and show off your portfolio.
Edinburgh (AAA) - artsy-ish. Edinburgh's quite hard to judge, it does not specifically focus on one area, it's more of an all rounder (but you do attend classes in the School of Art so you get an arty feel). No portfolio or interview needed, but they do tend to search for quirky above intellect within personal statements. Also, I've got to highlight, it is advertised as a BA/MA, so you do your 3 year BA, then do a 1 year 'MA' (if you want to), however this 4th year is not RIBA approved as part 2 of the Architect registration process, so you could be adding an extra year to your studies unnecessarily.
Manchester (AAA) - very Eco-y. I withdrew my application to Manchester after discovering there is virtually no coverage of architectural history and classical movements - it's very efficient-design and Eco-initiative based (I'm not saying their course is bad, some people prefer it for the above reason, it's just not me). They require a digital portfolio (which they'll inform you about after application), but no interview.
Cardiff (AAA) - a bit arty and analytical. (I did not apply but did visit). During your visit they explain what they're looking for in a portfolio (4 pages of A4), they analyse pieces, looking at choice of colour, composition, and what they represent, so bear this in mind when creating yours. They do interview but I don't think all are.

Moving on... (I'm sorry I'm dragging but it might help)

Entry requirements. Okay, this is a thing that people get stressed out about but they're not that carved in stone. Notice most say 'typical offer' - I got excepted into Edinburgh with AAB, on top of awful AS results, no work experience, and no proof of anything I said in my personal statement, so you can relax... a bit.

Extended projects, work experience, both maths and physics, or magazine subscriptions are not 100% necessary; however I would strongly advise that you read a book or 2 to mention in your personal statement (and do read them if you include it in your PS; they tend to ask about them in interviews). For easier reading I would recommend The Architecture Of Happiness, and A Guide To The New Ruins Of Great Britain (both on the Cambridge reading list). Again, check for your individual unis' reading lists, some are hard to find but very useful. Also, check eBay! You can get some V good bargains.

As a final note, don't worry about the rank of the unis that you choose too much. Employees focus more on where you do your masters degree, so if you missed out on that spot at your top uni there's always a second opportunity. And don't choose your unis on rank like I did.. pick the courses that suits you most.

Hope that helped someone
gloria0816
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone have any opinions or information about architecture at
Nottingham
Kent
Nottingham Trent

Thank you.
ez_accountancy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gloria0816)
Anyone have any opinions or information about architecture at
Nottingham
Kent
Nottingham Trent

Thank you.
My son and I went to the Nottingham open day last week. It seemed a very good dept and a good balance of art/science based course.

I have no knowledge of kent/trent.

We have also been to open days at Sheffield, Bath, Cardiff, UCL, Cambridge. All good in their own way, and all quite different.

Good luck to all students, I know what a stressful process this is.
ez_accountancy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SMH95)
Hi, I applied for 2014 entry for Architecture at the top 4 ranked Architecture universities in the UK (got into Edinburgh, then chose to take a gap year), so I have a little bit of knowledge about the top 4 and the general application process.

Bath (A*AA) - very science orientated (includes lots of joint projects with the engineering department), no interview or portfolio.
Cambridge (A*AA) - very intellectual and a bit arty (you need to be a book worm for this one-their reading list can be found online). Despite popular conceptions you don't need to be an A*A*A*A* student, if you work hard and show your dedication you have every chance! Obviously an interview and portfolio is needed. And remember the October 15th application deadline!
UCL (AAB) - so very arty (just type in UCL Bartlett into youtube). This one is very hard to get into, you have to send off your spontaneous response to a creative task, then you're invited to an assessment day in which you'll be interviewed, meet current students, and show off your portfolio.
Edinburgh (AAA) - artsy-ish. Edinburgh's quite hard to judge, it does not specifically focus on one area, it's more of an all rounder (but you do attend classes in the School of Art so you get an arty feel). No portfolio or interview needed, but they do tend to search for quirky above intellect within personal statements. Also, I've got to highlight, it is advertised as a BA/MA, so you do your 3 year BA, then do a 1 year 'MA' (if you want to), however this 4th year is not RIBA approved as part 2 of the Architect registration process, so you could be adding an extra year to your studies unnecessarily.
Manchester (AAA) - very Eco-y. I withdrew my application to Manchester after discovering there is virtually no coverage of architectural history and classical movements - it's very efficient-design and Eco-initiative based (I'm not saying their course is bad, some people prefer it for the above reason, it's just not me). They require a digital portfolio (which they'll inform you about after application), but no interview.
Cardiff (AAA) - a bit arty and analytical. (I did not apply but did visit). During your visit they explain what they're looking for in a portfolio (4 pages of A4), they analyse pieces, looking at choice of colour, composition, and what they represent, so bear this in mind when creating yours. They do interview but I don't think all are.

Moving on... (I'm sorry I'm dragging but it might help)

Entry requirements. Okay, this is a thing that people get stressed out about but they're not that carved in stone. Notice most say 'typical offer' - I got excepted into Edinburgh with AAB, on top of awful AS results, no work experience, and no proof of anything I said in my personal statement, so you can relax... a bit.

Extended projects, work experience, both maths and physics, or magazine subscriptions are not 100% necessary; however I would strongly advise that you read a book or 2 to mention in your personal statement (and do read them if you include it in your PS; they tend to ask about them in interviews). For easier reading I would recommend The Architecture Of Happiness, and A Guide To The New Ruins Of Great Britain (both on the Cambridge reading list). Again, check for your individual unis' reading lists, some are hard to find but very useful. Also, check eBay! You can get some V good bargains.

As a final note, don't worry about the rank of the unis that you choose too much. Employees focus more on where you do your masters degree, so if you missed out on that spot at your top uni there's always a second opportunity. And don't choose your unis on rank like I did.. pick the courses that suits you most.

Hope that helped someone
very helpful, thanks
ez_accountancy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DANGODANGO)
Hi

Im looking to study architecture too im in year 12 at the moment and applying for 2015. I've been looking around for quite a while and i think my first three choices are UCL, Bath and sheffield. The guardian has recently published their 2015 university league table for architecture
http://www.theguardian.com/education...r-architecture

I hope that helps out
it's interesting that you will be applying to UCL and Bath since their courses are very different. UCL's borders on Fine Art while Bath's verges on Engineering. Both are excellent, but very different approaches.
onartsipac
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hello guys, I am planning to go UCL to do architecture which requires AAB for A Level, do you guys know if they would accept my double award in art as two grades or just one. For AS I got AA(art), C(geography), C(d.t). it'll be a relief if they accept as two therefore i just need to bump one of those C's to a B!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (100)
13.3%
I'm not sure (32)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (235)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.39%
I'm not a current university student (367)
48.8%

Watched Threads