i think bt are throttling my bandwidth.... Watch

Choad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
these days i can never get a download speed of >150 kb/s and i should have adsl max 3mb connection.... which equates to a theoretical 384 kB/s (but i was getting just over 300)

i have heard that some times bt can throttle your connection speed for no reason, and they only give it back if you ask.

is this true? could there be another reason for this slow connection?

also, i use torrents alot. would that give bt an actual leg to stand on for not giving me the full bandwidth? could it be the provider's fault? i would doubt it, since we pay over the odds anyway, its a buisness broadband provider (enta.net)

thanks for ne advice
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Have you checked to make sure you have not got virus, it could be a spammer program sending out spam using your internet connection.
hate_xams
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Try checking the speed you are getting here http://asdlguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
sufiankane
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
another thing is that your speed isnt always constant because of contention ratios that may be crappy, basically at peak times it wil god own, my internet always slows down at peak times, also you cannot use your full 384kbps upload as some of it is used for error correction and other stuff.
Choad
Rep:
?
from speed test

Downstream: 970.82 Kbps (0.95 Mbps)
Upstream: 358.97 Kbps (0.35 Mbps)

from router page

DownStream Connection Speed 3136 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

this machine is a brand new install, and there are 2 other machines connected. all of them are equally slow. so its not virus related. im often online between midnight an 4 am..... hardly "peak time"
hate_xams
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think BT need a phone call, after all you are paying for speed that you aren't getting.
Phil.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At that sync rate you should be getting 2.5Mbps (2848Kbps) due to the way BT work the download rates (they go up in 576Kbps increments)

You've then got about 15% overheads on that 2848Kbps, so expect around 2421Kbps, or ~300KB/s.

Have you ever connected much slower than 3136kbps before?
Choad
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phil.)
At that sync rate you should be getting 2.5Mbps (2848Kbps) due to the way BT work the download rates (they go up in 576Kbps increments)

You've then got about 15% overheads on that 2848Kbps, so expect around 2421Kbps, or ~300KB/s.

Have you ever connected much slower than 3136kbps before?
that is exactly what i was getting till about a week ago. no, i have never connected much slower, until now
o-e-s-j
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
these companies are allowed to 'restrict bandwidth to heavy users' during peak times (to give everyone else a chance, i suppose).

i.e. if you're downloading gig after gig of torrents each month they'll punish you. not sure if this is the problem though, and i this may not apply to every company.
Baron
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
make sure you nobody behind the router is downloading anything when you run that adslguide.org speed test, as it might be inaccurate otherwise.
dan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hate_xams)
Try checking the speed you are getting here http://asdlguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
I know its slightly off the topic of this conversation but when I tried that speed test it showed that my broadband *ADSL 2Mb/s* is actually punching well above its weight and my downstream is about 5% quicker than it should be :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1366)
79.74%
Leave (347)
20.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed